So who does appraisals?

Old February 4th, 2014, 04:10 PM

So who does appraisals?

I have never had my 68 H/O formally appraised.
Any leads for a good appraiser would be appreciated.
Midwest is fine but can also pay for out of state.
Old February 4th, 2014, 04:23 PM

Where are you located?
Old February 4th, 2014, 05:33 PM

Why would you need it appraised?

The only time I've ever been asked for an appraisal is when I was going to insure my car on my regular auto policy (not classic car insurance).

Your insurance company can do as good a job as an appraiser can (assuming you're carrying classic car insurance)
Old February 5th, 2014, 05:38 AM

Sorry - north of Chicago, about 25 mi north of O'Hare Airport.
An appraisal would be done due to the fact that Hagerty Insurance will insure a car for up to a certain amount without one (I think it is $15K - at least that's what I have as the agreed value presently).
I know I need to do more research into this but I thought I would ask here first.
Old February 5th, 2014, 05:47 AM

OK - Duh - here, from Hagerty's web site:
When is an appraisal required?

We typically do not require appraisals. If we need further documentation supporting a vehicle's value, we will contact you during the underwriting process.

Back to me - given the condition of the car (small amount of rt. rear quarter rust,3-shades of silver - some original paint, 42K miles, original block and heads) I am just curious what it would appraise for.
Old February 5th, 2014, 06:29 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by Joe68hurst

We typically do not require appraisals. If we need further documentation supporting a vehicle's value, we will contact you during the underwriting process.

Back to me - given the condition of the car (small amount of rt. rear quarter rust,3-shades of silver - some original paint, 42K miles, original block and heads) I am just curious what it would appraise for.
I've never had an appraisal, but I've seen quite a few. I have never seen one that I thought was decent. In fact the majority of them have been nothing short of pathetic. Done by appraisers that wouldn't know a correct Olds if ran over them. At best, just an evaluation of condition, and not an impressive one at that.
So if you are going to get an appraisal for insurance purposes and the insurance company will "accept" the appraisal for value, it is a game of finding one that will appraise it high enough for you. "Accuracy" is meaningless in that case.
If is it for your curiosity, it is pretty much wasted money.
If it is for selling purposes, same thing.

BL is that an appraisal is *probably* not going to be the "accurate assessment" that you would think it should be.
Old February 5th, 2014, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Joe68hurst

If you call Hagerty and talk to them they will ask you to take pictures and together you can come up with a reasonable assessment of the worth of your car. My experience with them is they (like most insurance companies) tend to OVER estimate the value. They pegged my car at $35k. I have it insured for $25k agreed value because I know that's what I can replace it for.

Last edited by allyolds68; February 5th, 2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old February 5th, 2014, 01:11 PM

Joe, I understand where you are coming from, but I have to agree with Kurt and Mike. I've seen enough "appraisals" that they are, well, a joke.

I've seen your car, and imo, $15K is low. Given that and the nice guy that I am, I have $20K for you. Just let me know when we are all shoveled out and I'll come get it.
Old February 5th, 2014, 01:24 PM

a: grab your yellow pages
b: ask at your DMV
c: ask at any used car lot.

QC requires an appraisal before they'll register the sale of any car over 25 years old ... they don't want to risk missing out on the sales tax if your car is a gem. My '85 parisienne cost me $125 to appraise. Cost me $15 in sales tax.