69 h/o air cleaner filter

Search this Thread

Old December 20th, 2012, 10:41 AM
morgan

69 h/o air cleaner filter

just curious about what adhesive was used for the foam filter element and also has anyone cleaned and re-used them....i'm thinking about taking mine off but stuck on there pretty good.... Also the fomoco (original ?) vacuum motor is dead, are they rebuildable?

morgan
Old December 20th, 2012, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by pogo69
just curious about what adhesive was used for the foam filter element and also has anyone cleaned and re-used them....i'm thinking about taking mine off but stuck on there pretty good.... Also the fomoco (original ?) vacuum motor is dead, are they rebuildable?

morgan
Are you talking the air filter element (which is originally a paper element) or the adapter-to-hood seal (which is some kind of foam and stuck to the adapter)?

The original vacuum motor is indeed a fomoco (Ford) part. I haven't had to deal with it myself (mine's ok and I have an NOS spare), but a little Google turns up Ford vendors that either sell or rebuild them.
Old December 20th, 2012, 08:33 PM
morgan

air cleaner

my mistake. I was talking about the foam but confused it with the filter....yes i realize the foam isnt cleaned, but still wondering what procedures if any were noted in any service manual or supplements about the air cleaner assembly. I am thinking the vacuum motor is non repairable.
Old December 20th, 2012, 08:54 PM

my mistake. I was talking about the foam but confused it with the filter....yes i realize the foam isnt cleaned, but still wondering what procedures if any were noted in any service manual or supplements about the air cleaner assembly. I am thinking the vacuum motor is non repairable.
I'm not aware of any manuals ever being issued for the H/O specific parts. One thing I can say about the actual original foam was it disintegrated over time, even sitting in the warehouse. I bought some NOS ones from GM in the early 80s and a number of them had just crumbled dust right in the box... I have used weatherstrip adhesive to put replacement (repro) foams on mine.

I have no experience with them, but at this link http://www.perogie.com/ShakerRamAir.htm they say they can rebuild them for $80. Besides the "fomoco" logo, also note there is a date stamp on the vacuum motor if you are attempting to stay original. Mine has a 5-69...
Old December 21st, 2012, 06:07 AM
morgan

Thanks for the link to have the vacuum motor rebuilt. I don't see a date code on the motor though, it's still attached to the housing so unless its hidden on the very top.
Old December 21st, 2012, 06:28 AM

Thanks for the link to have the vacuum motor rebuilt. I don't see a date code on the motor though, it's still attached to the housing so unless its hidden on the very top.
From memory (it could be a little fuzzy), the date code is stamped on the center of the round, dome-shaped nose piece (opposite end from the vacuum line). A couple of the Ford sites I looked at yesterday mentioned their respective date codes in the same spot (which makes sense).
Old December 21st, 2012, 07:01 AM
morgan

found it..just need a couple magnafying glasses now...I love getting old