car shows by car smows

Old June 19th, 2012, 07:26 PM

car shows by car smows

Went to car show this weekend , didnt expect to win anything with my car, but I always get alot of attention from the crowd. Wife and I talked about putting her up for sell ( the car ) but I couldnt do it, not yet. Back to the thread, I feel bad for a handful of guys that were there wih rare cars in nice original condition but didnt fair well. There was 2 1969 H/O's, GTO Judge and a few other rare cars but nope the Chevelle and Camaros took home the show pieces. They were nice but they didnt come from gm that way. I have a 72 nova that is my go car(race) I can buy anyting I want for it cheap at multiply places, when I was buying items for the olds I found out they dont come easy and not cheap. So I respect rare cars and the people that restore them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
69olds.jpg (29.5 KB, 138 views)
69olds1.jpg (37.6 KB, 134 views)
69olds2.jpg (60.7 KB, 134 views)
69olds3.jpg (78.1 KB, 114 views)
Old June 19th, 2012, 08:09 PM

I've been to those same kind of shows and nobody even knew what kind of car I had. They would be 4 cars in my class and still wouldn't place in the top 3. I've noticed if your not in the car club that's putting on the show you don't have a chance. Btw you have one cool car!!!
Old June 19th, 2012, 09:37 PM

Where was the car show as I have been looking to purchase a 69 Hurst for quite some time and just maybe one of these guys may be selling.
Old June 19th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Great looking car! Sooo, when did they make a black HO in 69??
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
They didn't, but it still looks cool.

Originally Posted by Gator69olds
I've noticed if your not in the car club that's putting on the show you don't have a chance.
At our car show non-members are invited to participate and it's about 50/50 on who wins. The Mayor of Olds gives a Mayor's Choice trophy to the car she likes best. She doesn't know who are members and who aren't.

The Oldest Oldsmobile At Olds trophy goes to just that, the oldest car, member or not. As for long distance, we have one for the members to thank them for supporting their club, but should also acknowledge the non-member for driving all that way, so there is a Non-Member Long Distance award as well.

The RCMP officer there picks a car he "...Would Most Like to Commandeer" so it's very possible that a non-member could win that as well.

Also, everyone wins a door prize and gets a free lunch. Where I guess you could say it isn't "fair" members pay $10 to register, whereas non members pay $20. Plus non members miss out on the clubs 26 page news magazine "Olds Faithful"

So, anyone in the area...you're welcome to join us at The Rocket Roundup In Olds, AB. More info, pictures of past shows and videos on the club site www.oldsclub.ca Hope some of you can make it especially if you are close by.

DSC_8251.jpg
Old June 20th, 2012, 04:18 AM
Cutlass Lover

I know what you're talking about. What gets me is when the winner is a new Challenger or Charger or Mustang!! Those cars have no business being at the shows. Yes they are beautiful and cost a lot of money, but there is no history to the car. You haven't done anything to the car except make the payment, lol.

I've also found that it depends on who is doing the judging and what they actually know about the cars from the day!! You'll run into that show where someone will actually appreciate what you have and what you've done to it!!

Allan R..... stop being so.... nit picky, lol!
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Administrator

If you go to local car shows just to win a one of them $5 plastic trophies, your setting yourself up for disappointment! I go just to be around car guys that like cars! It's a great avenue for making new friends, and an enjoyable evening! Most of those shows have a group of folks that travel together and vote for themselves!
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
I know what you're talking about. What gets me is when the winner is a new Challenger or Charger or Mustang!! Those cars have no business being at the shows. Yes they are beautiful and cost a lot of money, but there is no history to the car. You haven't done anything to the car except make the payment, lol.
X2... Unless it's 'heavily' modified, If your car still has any part of a factory warranty then it should not be at a car show.
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:04 AM

I have to agree. IMO, new cars can be at a car show, but cars should be 15-20 years old before they can win a trophy. I go to shows for the fun of meeting people and talking to fellow enthusiasts. If I win something, that's gravey. I went to a show in 2009 and the car that won Best of Show really had me shaking my head. The new Camaro's had just come out and a 2009 had just won best of show. IMO, that's crap. How can you keep a 40-50 year old car up to the standards of a car that had 40 miles on it and just came off the showroom floor?

At our show we only have the trophies mentioned above and when we tried to bring OCA type judging and trophies for the categories, the membership asked that we go back to what we have now. We try and keep our show as politically free as possible.
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:44 AM

I like seeing new cars at the car shows, lets me see what is out there now and what folks are doing to them today just like they did to the 69's the day after. I would agree they should be judged differently or in a different class but maybe becasue in all the years I have been going to car shows i have only won one plaque, I, like others, can careless about the awards, i respect those that win them and can only imagine the effort that goes into keeping these older cars mint. I was more than happy to except mine but I notice my car is a middle of the road car - if you know Oldsmobile's you either really appreciate it or even might hate it, other than that most of the comments I get is "My high school boyfriend drove one of those." It will never really be a huge crowd pleasure but it makes me smile even sitting still.
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:45 AM

442much, it was good to see the proper placement of the parking lights on the 66 in your poster, lol.
Old June 20th, 2012, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
442much, it was good to see the proper placement of the parking lights on the 66 in your poster, lol.
I never even noticed. Must be a W30 car if they are placed there.
Old June 20th, 2012, 11:43 AM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

I went with Millie to a show on father's day. Over 150 cars.

Best GM - 67 Camaro owned by a son
Best 60-69 - 67 Camaro owned by a son
Best of Show - 67 Camaro owned by a son
Best Import - 70's Mini Cooper owned by the son's Mom
Kids fav - 70's Mini Cooper owned by the son's Mom

5 of 12 trophy's went to mom and son. Lots of grumbling in the crowd. Mini was cool but the Camaro was what EVERY 67 Camaro now looks like. There were many better, IMO cars there but what can I say, I drive an Olds :-)

Adam
Old June 20th, 2012, 11:45 AM
delete

Originally Posted by stevengerard
I like seeing new cars at the car shows, lets me see what is out there now and what folks are doing to them today just like they did to the 69's the day after.
I agree that there is a place for new cars of interest but there is one guy that constantly shows up with his V6 Charger. He gets there early and while they are turning away nice cars because they are too full this guy's car sits there. The show I am talking about is in a train parking lot. Most walk by thinking it belongs to a commuter that hasn't returned from work yet. Usually when I see a new car in a show I think that I can see that at a car dealer. With this one I think i can go see one at Dollar Rent a Car
Old June 20th, 2012, 12:12 PM

i've been to shows that have the decades seperated, which i like...i.e. 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00+. then each decade class is seperated into stock & modified...this kind of evens the field, KIND OF!!!! but this way, u don't have a 2010 challenger going against a 64 impala.
Old June 20th, 2012, 12:33 PM
delete

It would be cool to separate decades on the 5's so you have most of the muscle era together i.e. '65-'75

I don't think the guy ever said they did. See, you don't have to be at a show to have strangers pick your car apart.
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by droptopron
It would be cool to separate decades on the 5's so you have most of the muscle era together i.e. '65-'75
Uh oh, you can't leave out the '64s especially since that included what many considered the first - THE GTO .
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:46 PM
delete

I thought about that but splitting by the'4's sounds awkward.
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:48 PM

well you could have do pre-55, 55-64, 65-74, 75-84, etc.
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:53 PM

AllanR yes they made a black one, see mine. If your refering to "they" as the people that painted my car. Droptopron I didnt take it that way if thats the way he meant it. IMO they should have made a black paint scheme, but they didnt. This car show had several brackets, they even had an all camaro class. But i just seen the 2 H/Os, a Judge and a couple chrylsers not get any honors when the only 2 chevelles and a couple camaros took the 68-72 muscle car class honors. nothing away from the chevys they were nice and Im a chevy owner also.
And no I dont go to car shows for a trophy with my non original Oldsmobile, but my car gets well deserved attention and thats plenty good enough for me. I use to umpire little league games all the time and that would be easier then judging all those cars so i shouldnt throw rocks.
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 69OLDSCUTCONV
AllanR yes they made a black one, see mine. If your refering to "they" as the people that painted my car. Droptopron I didnt take it that way if thats the way he meant it.
Thanks, I wasn't criticizing - in fact I think the black looks really nice. Wish they had offered that theme all the way through; sort of like the 74 and later HO's that you could get in white or black.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 12:06 PM

Having a 69 HO myself, I think the black 69 HO is an awesome looking car. Really nice!!!!!!!
Old June 22nd, 2012, 02:15 PM

Thanks, I wasn't criticizing - in fact I think the black looks really nice. Wish they had offered that theme all the way through; sort of like the 74 and later HO's that you could get in white or black.
Could've been starting with the '68 H/O, but not to be:

1968HOPrototype2.jpg
Old July 16th, 2012, 05:57 PM

Unhappy car shows by car smows

There are so damn many Chevies that in some cases the so called judges don't even realize that other makes existed. It's the same on T/V. 75% chevies the other 25% gets split amongst all the other makes. I don't think that is ever going to change.
Old August 8th, 2012, 09:21 AM

My experience is that you never know. I just like to go and have a good time looking at other cars and meeting people. This year, I have been in five shows so far, one trophy for rarest car and one for second place in my class.
Old August 8th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

we got a local cruise night here where it's strictly a rat rod/ racer car hang out. The numbers match crowd shows up and get's diappointed when the guy in the blown nova in pirmer shows up and it get's more attention. I remember there where some nice 442's one time and i pull up and my car., it has a loud choppy idle not to mention i pull in after pulling a u turn roasting the hides i had a crowd pretty fast and my car looks nice but lacks an intertior a a few trim pieces. Now i show up one time to a diffret show where there some really nice cars and i left pretty fast because sitting in a lawn chair is no fun i like bench racing and having a few beers. Not to mention that crowd will ask me things that i have no intention in doing like a full interior or wheel well trim etc etc. They are just being picky to stroke their ego's i guess when they can see what im doing with the car. Thats what has turned me off from car shows and big event cruise nights
Old August 8th, 2012, 10:47 AM

You gotta pick your battles, don't go to shows that only award the hommies ,I seldom go to a show that allows club cars to be judged by club members it just pisses off everyone thats a non member whether they have a competitive car or not. On the other hand I've received awards that I felt were undeserved ( there was someone with a nicer car) but I did accept the award though I was embarrassed and told the the owner I was not worthy.

lately I've noticed that many shows are changing the way they make awards and are getting away from the structured 1st 2st 3rd thing and awarding fun classifications,like best make out car , most likely to get a ticket on the way home, a get out of jail award and other fun stuff. I like this and it is a nice change up over the stiff structured classification.If you really want to know how your car stands up against others in your class go to shows that are points judged, be sure you know the rules because it's completely different game than the typical show and shine type judging.
In all judging is still a very subjective thing,I go to a show for the camaraderie and to socialize if I get an award thats great if not no biggie, the car has a trunk full of all kinds of bling we really don't need any more to keep me happy.....Tedd