72 H/O Burglar Alarm

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2012, 07:17 PM

72 H/O Burglar Alarm

I'm rebuilding a '72 H/O but when it was torn down, no one made a note of where the shaker alarm box was attached to the car. I think it was inside the right front fender somewhere.

Can anyone offer advice on exactly where that black box was bolted?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Shaker box.jpg (46.3 KB, 56 views)
Old February 27th, 2012, 03:20 PM

Does your car have a key switch on the fender? My '72 H/O has a key switch on the left fender, but think it is an ignition kill switch. The pic of your shacker box looks just like a aftermarket alarm i bought for another car years ago.
Old February 28th, 2012, 10:52 AM

Yes, there is a ace key lock switch on the left fender. The shaker box (I'm told) is the correct one for this model. According to the little info I've seen on the alarm, they bought them from a car alarm mfr and installed them at the same time the car was receiving its other Hurst tweaks.
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Just an Olds Guy

This is the first time I've ever heard of this. I know Olds made theft deterent systems in the 80's, but they were fisher installations. It was Option UA6 on 83 Toronados. Are you sure someone didn't just wire in this module from another later model car? The description of the 'Ace' key lock switch suggests that. Last thing, as far as I can remember Hurst wasn't into theft deterrent systems, it was into performance and a unique look. That's why I doubt this theft deterent was installed by them.
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:14 AM

I was suspicious of that too, but have seen photos of other H/O's with the same lock in the fender, and have been told by allegedly knowledgeable sources that while not all the cars got it, they were definately a Hurst installed item. I've also talked to the owners all the way back to the original purchaser who claims it came with it. Regardless, I'm stuck with it since I have a hole in my fender, so if someone else has a car set up the same way, I'd appreciate a hint on the black box's location.
Thanks to everyone for their comments!!
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Registered

x2 an the alarm being a Hurst installed option on the '72 H/O.
It was called the "Hurst Auto Security Alarm System".
Hurst could of farmed out the alarm unit installations to the hippies over at the K-Mart auto center across the street for all I know.
I bet Spark-O-Matic shifters actually made car alarms.
Old February 28th, 2012, 12:01 PM

Groovy! :-D
Old February 28th, 2012, 09:45 PM

Very interesting, guys. I've seen pics of other '72 H/O's with the switch in the fender too (like mine). I've been told it is a H/O option, but also have been told by other sources that it was a dealer installed option. Hurstman, I will take a closer look inside my cars right fender to see if it has the box. Could be a cool, rare option. Not sure why the switch would be on the left side and the box would be on the right??? But like Bluevista said, we're dealing with early 1970 hippies...HA!
Old February 29th, 2012, 06:23 AM

My theory on how the alarm was laid out - the key switch needed to be located conveniently for the driver since he'd have the key. But there's no space for the shaker box on the same side so it had to be located (possibly) on the passenger side. I vaguely recall it being attached somewhere near the black canister just in front of the psgr wheel well. Not sure, tho, so that's why I'm asking. Of course, all this depends on what the Kmart hippie was smoking that day!!
Thanks!
Old September 17th, 2012, 09:30 PM

another 72 owner

I also have a 72 with the keyhole in drivers fender I also saw a original owner car at Hershey show this year and he set off the alarm the siren is behind the coolant overflow bottle(yes he had that too). I am also searching for info on this alarm I havent searched too hard on the car but I think I only have the key cylinder and I know there are no wires connected when I peek in from the door being open.