'74 Hurst top done...

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2010, 10:57 AM

'74 Hurst top done...

I picked up the car yesterday and I was not very happy.
I had already set up a model and location to take pics, but I was so disappointed I scrapped those plans. I've had a day to cool down and I'm less depressed about it, but the expectations the auto trim place set vs. what they did--and the price they charged--was waaay different.
Anyway, I'm on the lookout for a good price on some door and roof-rail weatherstripping, door window felt, clips, etc.
I was also going to the H/O meet in Dalton. I changed my mind yesterday, but now I'm still debating it. I just have a lot of things to do to it, and now a short time to get it done. I already sent my registration fee sooo....
On a postive note...I finally found and joined the Music City Rockets, so I'll have some local people to harrass now!
I didn't clean up the car yet, but I wanted to get some pics up....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
6-26-10 (1).jpg (63.2 KB, 50 views)
6-26-10 (2).jpg (49.7 KB, 34 views)
6-26-10 (4).jpg (76.5 KB, 34 views)
Old June 26th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Atdog
I picked up the car yesterday and I was not very happy...............Anyway, I'm on the lookout for a good price on some door and roof-rail weatherstripping, door window felt, clips, etc.
I didn't clean up the car yet, but I wanted to get some pics up....
If you're looking for the "triangular metal stainless" that goes around the rear window they were only available on cars with vinyl roofs from the factory. Send Ken (442much) a pm. He collects parts for these cars and may be able to help you.
Old June 26th, 2010, 11:16 AM

Couple more pics. Showing the top and where they messed up the paint and dash...
Attached Images
6-26-10 (3).jpg (65.5 KB, 39 views)
6-26-10 (5).jpg (38.7 KB, 36 views)
Old June 26th, 2010, 11:26 AM

If you're looking for the "triangular metal stainless" that goes around the rear window they were only available on cars with vinyl roofs from the factory. Send Ken (442much) a pm. He collects parts for these cars and may be able to help you.
You know Allen, I didn't even notice that... I have one of the corner 'v-shaped' pieces in the car...
All the trim was in the trunk, so either the previous owner lost them, or they're sitting on the floor somewhere at the auto trim place. I'll call the previous owner and find out.
Good catch!
Old June 26th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Just an Olds Guy

This shop IS going to compensate for the damage they caused, aren't they??? That kind of ???workmanship???? is inexcusable. By the looks of it, you're going to have to take the vinyl trim off just to get the repaint done. You were "just unhappy"? I'd have been right pissed, and wouldn't have paid them + would be suing them for the damage. You have before pics that show the paint condition before it went in?

Let us know how things work out.
Old June 26th, 2010, 01:09 PM

I was going to have to get some touch up done anyway. A couple of dings and flaws. And the spots around the trim that had to be done for prep work. I just hate them adding to it...especially the dash. It had a couple of hairline fractures in the vent/speaker piece that is right next to the windshield ( not sure what it's called ). Easy repair. Now it has a hunk taken out of it with the peices missing. I'd say the glass place did that...
Old June 26th, 2010, 02:12 PM

Sorry about the damage/inadequate job on your Olds. Why do some of these horror stories continue. I can guarantee that I would "spread the word" about their work to other interested parties, and warn them to stay away from them. On a good note, your finding the Music City Rockets is a blessing. Those guys and gals did the Nationals in 2007, and what a fantastic job they did!!! The young man that was the Chief Judge did about a zillion other tasks during the event.....I ran into him everywhere, including at the Awards Dinner, where he gave out the trophies dressed (rather accurately, I thought) as Dr. Olds from the 70's ads........Enjoy them. You going to the Nationals? Bring it on.
Old June 26th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Just an Olds Guy

....... I just hate them adding to it...especially the dash. It had a couple of hairline fractures in the vent/speaker piece that is right next to the windshield ( not sure what it's called ). Easy repair. Now it has a hunk taken out of it with the peices missing. I'd say the glass place did that...
I went back and looked at the chunk that was missing. YIKES!! that's huge! What are the chances of finding a donor car with a good dash and dying it to match?

Just as a matter of interest, the presentation of the padded vinyl roof looks quite good. I like how they notched the padding around the H/O emblems so they would be recessed. If you don't mind me asking, how much $$ did this job cost?

If I see any 76 or 77 donors at the boneyard, I'll check for dashes that are in decent shape. Going out next Friday (July 2) looking for 98 parts and whatnots.
Old June 26th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Oldsdruid

73 was the only one to use stainless trim. 1974-later used that plastic channel that always disintegrates and is pretty much unobtainium- you'd think one of the GM vendors would have picked up on that by now and started reproducing it for Colonnades, because it's always in bad shape.

The Hurst quarter window trim also has to be finagled as the quarter window is smaller than a regular 37 coupe. If you have the vee pieces for the top corner of the window, you're ahead of the game. You will have to shorten the top section, and along the bottom edge the plastic moulding has to be cut and spliced to fit the shorter window opening. There's a stainless splice cover for that, but it is usually missing.

I haven't put the stuff back on mine yet, and I'm really leaning toward just laying a bead of black silicone between the window glass and vinyl and then doing a finger smooth-out on it to keep water out of the channel. In all honesty that would be about the pain Hurst would have taken with it.

Don't feel bad. The trim shop got that yellow gorilla-snot glue all over mine, but WD40 took it off. Honest to god, looks like sometimes you can't count on people to do ANYTHING right, and the more they charge, looks like the sorrier job they do.
Old June 27th, 2010, 05:33 AM

You know, the sorriest part about this Glen, is that I was going to take a picture of the model straddling my new hood ornament for you!
I found one of the v-shaped pieces for the opera window. I left a message for the previous owner to call me back to see if he had kept that trim. When he took off all the top trim, he put all of it in the trunk. The trim shop couldn't put it on if they didn't have it, but I got a feeling it may be sitting in their shop some where. I'll find out. It would have been nice for them to call me if they couldn't find that trim, so I could have maybe tracked it down and got it for them, but they didn't communicate well at all.
As far as that piece on the dash-it really ticks me off. True it had a crack. But the cracks ( one on each side of the defrost vents ) were SO hairline that I could have glued it back and you never would have known. Trust me, I tried it with the side they didn't damage yesterday.
Allen, I'll probably post the invoice someday, but right now, I don't want to discuss what I paid for it. It makes my blood pressure go WAY up.
Let's just say that it was over my budget, and they didn't do what I was expecting. Basically, the guy had me pumped up and he set all these high expectations, but in the end, wasn't very professional.
It's too bad too. I had some referrals set up for him (if the work on my car was good), and they have a great reputation. The 'two men and a garage' guys are starting a new TV show on Fox TV, and they will be filming in July at the autotrim place for a restoration. They do a lot of high end custom work. I think I was just a little guy, and wasn't spending the 5 to 10 K they usually get. Who knows?
Old June 27th, 2010, 06:47 AM

Hey Mike,

The top looks beautiful! The damage, not so good. I am sorry to hear. I guess it's why we all get a little nervous taking something in for someone else to work on. Good luck getting it all fixed! I am still keeping an eye out for 74 stuff for you.

Oh, and I have posted a pic of the air cleaner on my "redoing brakes" thread. Thanks again Mike!
Old June 27th, 2010, 09:36 PM

Is the 'messed up paint' the spots on the fender and hood or the area's immediately adjacent to the lower trim on the top?

On a positive note, from the pictures the material and presentation of it on the car looks good, sorry for the disappointment, try not to let that get in the way of attending the H/OCA Meet in Dalton, you will have a good time.

Couple more pics. Showing the top and where they messed up the paint and dash...
Old June 28th, 2010, 04:21 AM

Hey Jeff! I appreciate the pictures you sent me.
The spots on the hood and fender. I think I'll let that go, since I'm going to have to get it touched up anyway. It's not like it will cost much extra. The dash-I'm still not happy about that.
I did talk to the previous owner. The side window trim did not come with the car-except that one v-shaped piece, so I'll be on the look out for that.
I was really hoping to have this car more presentable for the meet in Dalton...