'69 'vert

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2010, 09:09 AM

'69 'vert

Yeah, that's kinda rare. I heard it's asking price is somewhere around $800K.
http://www.autabuy.com/Vehicles/Deta...bile&Model=442
Old March 9th, 2010, 09:56 AM

Too rich for my pocket book
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

OK, this is one of those "find the errors" pictures.

Missing H/O 455 decals
Missing Hurst/Olds emblems
Missing wheel centers
Gold carpet???
Four speed?
Gouged windshield???
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Trying to remember member

I'm not sure, but I believe that despite all that is "wrong" about this car, the H/O experts have concluded that is one of the genuine ones. There were previous posts either here and/or "elsewhere" about it.
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:52 AM

Ok

Ok, I'll play Joe

Wrong Exhaust trumpets.
Old March 10th, 2010, 08:06 PM

Yes, there are all kinds of things wrong with it compared to a standard factory hardtop, but it is the real deal.

I posted the details in a thread over at ROP, but I saw the car in 1986 in San Jose and it had all the same "incorrect" issues at that time. That was before it was repainted (not terribly well by the looks of the photos). It did have the emblems and scoop decals on it at that time. In any case, I was at the owners house and saw numerous pieces of irrefutable docs (the protect-o-plate and a special 1969 car insurance policy for traveling in Mexico and some more) listing both the VIN and Hurst Performance on it. That VIN matches this car. I have photos of the car from then as well (with the sad looking paint and dents it had then). The front bumper is even still bent the same as it was then.

I've heard they want a LOT of money for it too so I haven't bothered calling. I don't know what I would have done with the car given the changes that were made early on (the "incorrect" stuff). I think the story goes that the original owner (a VP at Hurst/Airheart?) had the changes made, but I don't know when. I might have been tempted to leave them.

I don't know that any value was added with what was redone (poorly). Probably have to start all over again to do it right. If you had the money to buy this kind of car, I'd assume you would want it done right (even if the changes stayed) so someone wasted time/$$$ doing it half-a**ed.

Al
Old March 10th, 2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
OK, this is one of those "find the errors" pictures.

Missing H/O 455 decals
Missing Hurst/Olds emblems
Missing wheel centers
Gold carpet???
Four speed?
Gouged windshield???
Actually, it is an automatic. It is a funky looking one-off (I think) Hurst automatic shifter that looks from a distance to be a manual. If you could zoom in on the shifter ball (I have old photos that show it in more detail) you would see a strange shift pattern. It also has a 70 sport steering wheel, 70 cigarette lighter, and a post-69 cruise turn signal switch stalk (with the rest of the correct 69 cruise all being there). and rim spiders painted gold.
Old March 11th, 2010, 09:14 AM
1970 442

In this economy, they'll be lucky to get $200,000. I remember about 10 years ago a convertible appeared with an asking price of $1 mil, and this was before all those Hemi cars started fetching $1 mil and up.

I think they're fishing on this one. If they want to sell it for that price, they need to put it on a televised auction.
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by 69ho aurora
Actually, it is an automatic. It is a funky looking one-off (I think) Hurst automatic shifter that looks from a distance to be a manual. If you could zoom in on the shifter ball (I have old photos that show it in more detail) you would see a strange shift pattern. It also has a 70 sport steering wheel, 70 cigarette lighter, and a post-69 cruise turn signal switch stalk (with the rest of the correct 69 cruise all being there). and rim spiders painted gold.

Yep, Isn't that a Hurst Auto Stick? and as noted, with all of the descrepancies it's the real deal, vin# matches one on file w/HOCA. I believe that was Alan Bender's car from out in Cali, that place has it on consignment and when they called me a few months back for some info, they wouldn't say a price yet or who had it on consignment. Traded emails with Don Hartman a little while back per this car, he used to own the other convertible way back when. He did remember that the other convertible, apparently this one, did indeed not have the dual gate in it. One item to note, per the one convertible that was destroyed and the third that was made to replace it, the one destroyed was probably the one with the power antenna, on the rt rear quarter, the two surviving both have the manual, on rt front fender. If you see old pics of the convert and it has a power antenna, that has to be the one that was destroyed. (see attached pic)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1969HO_PowerAnt.jpg (37.3 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by 1969Hurst; March 11th, 2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old March 11th, 2010, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by 1969Hurst
Yep, Isn't that a Hurst Auto Stick? and as noted, with all of the descrepancies it's the real deal, vin# matches one on file w/HOCA. I believe that was Alan Bender's car from out in Cali, that place has it on consignment and when they called me a few months back for some info, they wouldn't say a price yet or who had it on consignment. Traded emails with Don Hartman a little while back per this car, he used to own the other convertible way back when. He did remember that the other convertible, apparently this one, did indeed not have the dual gate in it. One item to note, per the one convertible that was destroyed and the third that was made to replace it, the one destroyed was probably the one with the power antenna, on the rt rear quarter, the two surviving both have the manual, on rt front fender. If you see old pics of the convert and it has a power antenna, that has to be the one that was destroyed. (see attached pic)
Yes, it's the Alan Bender car...
Old June 27th, 2010, 10:46 PM

My brother and I looked at the car today and chatted with Alan for a bit. It was in a display of Specialty Sales cars at the Palo Alto Concours d'Elegance. He said the carpet was gold to add depth to photos taken from overhead of the giant trunk shifter, and that the shifter in it is in fact a dual gate. It's a prototype and was almost chosen to be installed in all '69 H/Os. He told a lot of stories about the car and about Hurst, including the real fate of the destroyed convertible. The paint looks good but the car does need work to be perfect. I guess it's tough to say what's absolutely correct on a car like this. The screws in the trim look a little weird. It has the scoop decals now but still no side emblems. I don't think he has a price in mind but one of the Specialty Sales guys mentioned a $300,000 offer.
Old June 28th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Jonb442
...He told a lot of stories about the car and about Hurst, including the real fate of the destroyed convertible. ...
That's it???? You think you can drop that an not tell us anything else???

Inquiring minds want to know!
Old June 28th, 2010, 08:41 AM

I believe Dick Chrysler has mentioned that he got the engine from the destroyed convert and used it in a boat...

Old June 28th, 2010, 10:52 AM

I guess I should have said the real story behind the destruction.

A higher-up at Ford of all places got plastered at the press intro and wanted to "see what it could do." He promptly totalled it and spent months in the hospital with two broken legs. I'm pretty sure Alan said he got that story from Doc Watson himself, who was mighty pissed about losing "his" car. Where it went from there I didn't ask and assume it was crushed. This version doesn't really jibe with the pic of the power antenna car as it looks like that was taken after the car was already put to use.

Last edited by Jonb442; June 28th, 2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 08:43 PM

And now you too can bid at it, it's currently on ebay, item # 320569043528. Current bid around $17,500, I'm thinking a little short of the reserve price. I'm guessing the best venu for a car like this would be somthing like a BJ or Mecum auction and not ebay?
Old August 3rd, 2010, 06:49 PM

It's up over 50K now on ebay. I also noticed the steering wheel, ciggy lighter, etc. which weren't available 'til 70. Looks like the front bumper is dented, radials, and no open face alt. I can understand many of the other things wrong, because it's a prototype, but you gotta be kidding me! 1 of 2 cars on the planet and it looks like that??? They should take it away from whoever owns it!

1969 442 2010 OCA Nats 1st place Senior Class Winner

Last edited by mrolds69; August 3rd, 2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old August 10th, 2010, 12:37 PM

I took it to 69k. After that....too rich for my blood. I see it ended at 75,2. Rumor has it the owner wants something like a mill for it and has turned down offers of 200k-300k?
Old August 18th, 2010, 07:08 PM

Someone like Jay Leno needs to rescue it from the owner. It should be treated like the piece of history it is and be someones showcase.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 09:41 PM

This may be an old controversy, but Doc says that there is a third '69 H/O convert. Anyone have an opinion on this claim?
Old February 4th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 442ric
This may be an old controversy, but Doc says that there is a third '69 H/O convert. Anyone have an opinion on this claim?
No controversy. One of the original two was destroyed in an accident and a third was built to replace it. The thing I find more interesting is that no one ever talks about the 68 H/O convertible, even though there is photographic proof that one was built.
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:20 AM

The thing I find more interesting is that no one ever talks about the 68 H/O convertible, even though there is photographic proof that one was built.
And Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh3qg14K2-M
Old February 4th, 2011, 05:52 PM

Smile

What was identified as one of the 68 convertibles was at the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals show (MCACN) as part of the "Cars of Hurst" display this year.