..69 Sport wheel..??

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2009, 07:55 PM

..69 Sport wheel..??

..I have a 69 Sport wheel...and I noticed the center cap EMBLEM..Should the ROCKET have RED COLOR..casue mines all SILVER lookin..?? And its has a few stress cracks on the INSIDE..?Yah think I could Take it apart and FIX the plastic with some kind of acrylic and buff it out..??
Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:16 AM

Here's mine my friend
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HOsteering[1].jpg (74.9 KB, 47 views)
Old April 23rd, 2009, 01:31 PM

...AH..?? so it is red on the inside.......Now I gotta take this thing apart...
Old April 23rd, 2009, 01:45 PM

..Yo...The wheel has one WHITE WIRE that looks like it has some BARREL on the end..?? Where does that go to..?? I didnt take the wheel off to see how it hooks up..I just dont wanna take it apart and find I need something else to make it work..Lemme know thanks..
Old April 30th, 2009, 01:48 PM

That sounds like it could be your horn contact, does the 'barrel' have a plastic fitting and spring on the outside?

Originally Posted by 666 the legend
..Yo...The wheel has one WHITE WIRE that looks like it has some BARREL on the end..?? Where does that go to..?? I didnt take the wheel off to see how it hooks up..I just dont wanna take it apart and find I need something else to make it work..Lemme know thanks..
Old April 30th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1969Hurst
That sounds like it could be your horn contact, does the 'barrel' have a plastic fitting and spring on the outside?
That is the horn contact wire, which goes into the post on the plastic cancel cam that projects up through the steering column lock plate.
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:17 PM

...YEP..It has the Spring thingy..
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
That is the horn contact wire, which goes into the post on the plastic cancel cam that projects up through the steering column lock plate.
...Humm..?? I have a 70 Wheel on there now...Will all that stuff be the same..when I take off the 70 wheel..?? and put the 69 wheel on..?
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
.......Okay now..I put the 69 Sport wheel on and the HORN PUSH PIN that sticks out at around " 11:00" is there and now I have the WHITE WIRE with the springy thingy..[ on the steering wheel].......But ..There just isnt a way to connect both...??? Do I have to take apart and take out the HORN PUSH PIN or am I missin something..?? Cause the end of the white wire does not fit on the HORN PUSH PIN thingy....lol..
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:01 AM

Let' see if I can explain mine.

On the sport wheel, there is a white wire that runs from each (3 of them)of the horn press area's and basically it's a complete loop. At one point, the wire is doubled over and ends in a (copper?) contact with a spring on the outside of the doubled over wire ending with a plastic fitting about an inch or so up from the contact.

The sping is there so that when that whole peice gets pushed into the "11:00" hole the plastic fitting at the other (upper) end is to keep it in place and maintain contact/pressure with a circular copper contact at the base of the sterring wheel. That is so the horn can make a connection no matter how you turn the steering wheel. I'll try to take a picture of mine.

.......Okay now..I put the 69 Sport wheel on and the HORN PUSH PIN that sticks out at around " 11:00" is there and now I have the WHITE WIRE with the springy thingy..[ on the steering wheel].......But ..There just isnt a way to connect both...??? Do I have to take apart and take out the HORN PUSH PIN or am I missin something..?? Cause the end of the white wire does not fit on the HORN PUSH PIN thingy....lol..
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:43 AM

..A pic would be great....I have the spring thing wrapped around the white wire but...There is a Round metal thing on the end which is about the same size as the Horn PUSH PIN...So it cant slide in it or over it.......thats why i was wonderin what the hell is goin on here....A Pic would explain alot..And I dont have a camera to show you what Im dealin wit over here...
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:45 AM

As far as that PLASTIC CAP thing about an INCH up...??????? I dont have that on mine....
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:54 AM

Pic

Here's a extra one I had lying around. I'm not sure if this is correct because this one never has gone beep beep in any of my cars.
Attached Images
Picture 060.jpg (80.9 KB, 32 views)
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:01 AM

Okay now....I still have the HORN PUSH PIN stickin out of the steering wheel..Do I have to get rid of that....?? Or just shove that bitch in there...??
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:52 PM

James has a pretty good picture there, you can see the plastic fitting I was referring to at the upper end of the spring, at the other end, into the hole, is the copper fitting. I'm going to try to attach some pic's here, the first one s/b the whole unit out of the hole, copper contact at one end and the plastic retainer at the other end.

The next picture is the unit pressed into the hole. The plastic retainer has a tab on it to fit into the plastic edge as seen on the first picture. Many times this plastic retainer is screwed up or has the tab broken off, so it won't hold in place into the outer edge of the hole it's suppose to fit into, thus not keeping pressure via the spring to maintain contact with the copper fitting end and the contact under the steering wheel.

The last picture is an idea I got from Kurt Karch. By using a electrical fitting screwed onto a nearby screw, this covers the unit as it is placed into the hole, keeping pressure on the spring , doing the job that a proper plastic fitting would do in conjunction with the plastic edge of the hole.

Hope this helps...
Attached Images
SteeringExample01.jpg (54.6 KB, 25 views)
SteeringExample02.jpg (47.2 KB, 21 views)
SteeringExample03.jpg (50.2 KB, 21 views)
Old May 12th, 2009, 01:24 PM

Okay now..In the FIRST PIC where the " PLASTIC EDGE " is....It looks blurry but.. I have the STEM sticking out right there..that pushes in and out..?? Is that one REMOVED..?? Or do I just stick the SPRINGY thing in there with the PUSH PIN still in the hole..??
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:49 AM

I'm trying to picture what you have there... is the stem that is sticking out hollow to allow you to push the doubled over wire with the spring around it through?

Okay now..In the FIRST PIC where the " PLASTIC EDGE " is....It looks blurry but.. I have the STEM sticking out right there..that pushes in and out..?? Is that one REMOVED..?? Or do I just stick the SPRINGY thing in there with the PUSH PIN still in the hole..??
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:05 PM

I'm trying to picture what you have there... is the stem that is sticking out hollow to allow you to push the doubled over wire with the spring around it through?
..YEAH...Its HOLLOW but its pretty much the same size as the END on the WHITE WIRE with the spring...Thats why i was confused as what to do......If wont go OVER IT or IN IT...Just pretty much BUTTS up to it....I guess Ill just see if I can push it down in there and hold it down with the WIRE EYELET Trick.....
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:26 PM

...HORN WORKS now........heres what I did.......I took an END of a SPARK PLUG that unscrews...I got a SCREW and cut it off and GRIND DOWN the sides a BIT to make it like a SPEAR.....Then I screwed the TIP of the SPARK PLUG END on,then I tapped it into the Lil Brass cylinder sticking up.........Then I got the END of a SPARK PLUG WIRE with out the rubber boot on it....I crimped the end onto the WHITE WIRE springy thing.....Then bent the end at 90 degrees and ..it just CLICKED right on like a spark plug would.....Nothing was ALTERED or CUT to make it work....
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:42 PM

Way to go.