68 H/O heater delete?

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2016, 07:35 PM

68 H/O heater delete?

How can you tell if a car is a True heater delete without the build sheet?

Regards, D.W.
Old October 2nd, 2016, 08:32 PM

Interesting question... I'd say an original window sticker would work as well, as well as pre-restoration evidence. Is there one out there? I know some have been known radio delete, but I hadn't heard of a true heater delete...
Old October 4th, 2016, 07:33 AM

My 68 Hurst had the IBM punch card not a build sheet......it was under the carpet and listed all of the options.....strippo 68 H/O's are more common than you think. Mine did not have rally pack or wood wheel.....
Old October 4th, 2016, 10:28 AM

That's sooo cool. Love the el cheapo models. No chance of poverty caps on a HO right?
Old October 5th, 2016, 01:30 AM

Nope the wheels will not clear the disk brakes...
Old October 5th, 2016, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by rktolds
That's sooo cool. Love the el cheapo models. No chance of poverty caps on a HO right?
But from what I can tell, you could have the full size steel wheels with wheel covers. Ugly with the covers, but cool as just black steel wheels with them off... You can see some in the Demmer photos.
Old October 6th, 2016, 06:31 AM

Heater delete, code H under group 2 on Lansing cowl tags, was not available domestically after 1967 model year. Export only afterwards.
Old December 14th, 2016, 01:49 PM

Delete yup we made them!

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
Heater delete, code H under group 2 on Lansing cowl tags, was not available domestically after 1967 model year. Export only afterwards.

Strange? I talked with a Older guy that Owns a 68 442 A/C delete bought in Lansing. the funny thing on that his identical twin bought one too! Both were purchased to race but his brother sold his 20+ years ago.
Old December 14th, 2016, 05:05 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

There is no such thing as "A/C delete."

A/C was an option (but not available on all cars). If you didn't get an option, that was just called "normal."

- Eric
Old December 14th, 2016, 06:59 PM

what is normal

Originally Posted by MDchanic
There is no such thing as "A/C delete."

A/C was an option (but not available on all cars). If you didn't get an option, that was just called "normal."

- Eric

The firewall on A/C cars is different. the delete plate is different. No hole in the fender or quarter for the antenna so the plates on the firewall and the dash are fake? the dash plates are the same plastic color and texture Normal.

D.W.
Old December 14th, 2016, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by DocWatson
Strange? I talked with a Older guy that Owns a 68 442 A/C delete bought in Lansing. the funny thing on that his identical twin bought one too! Both were purchased to race but his brother sold his 20+ years ago.
OK,ask him for proof or pictures showing the heater delete. As Joe said,the heater was required for cars for US use starting in 68. I'm not saying it wasn't possible but without actual documented proof,it's unlikely.
Old December 14th, 2016, 07:48 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The firewall on A/C cars is different. the delete plate is different. No hole in the fender or quarter for the antenna so the plates on the firewall and the dash are fake? the dash plates are the same plastic color and texture Normal.

D.W.
?????

What are you saying?

We all know that Heat and A/C bodies had firewall differences.

But there is no such thing as "A/C delete."

If you didn't want A/C, then you got a heater. That's not "delete." It's choosing not to buy an option.

If you didn't want a heater in '67 and earlier, even though it was standard, you could have it deleted by special order.
That's "heater delete."

Same thing goes for the radio. The radio was an option. If you didn't want it, you didn't order the option. It didn't come with the car unless it was ordered, so not ordering it is not "deleting" it, it is simply getting the normal base car.

- Eric
Old December 15th, 2016, 08:08 AM

Some builds, mostly Buick A bodies, were made with AC firewalls due to availability issues on the line. If the car was to have only a heater, the line installed cover plates on the firewall to revert the firewall to accept the normal heater box. Afaik these covers were never available through the parts dept (neither were the C48 heater delete firewall covers). The dash cover up to 67 was available for C48 cars.
Old December 15th, 2016, 08:23 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
Some builds, mostly Buick A bodies, were made with AC firewalls due to availability issues on the line. If the car was to have only a heater, the line installed cover plates on the firewall to revert the firewall to accept the normal heater box.
THAT I never knew. Very interesting.

I'm a bit curious as to how well engineered these covers were (locations of ribs, etc.).
Anyone got a picture?

- Eric
Old December 15th, 2016, 08:43 AM

Deleted?

I will ask, Maybe they were done at the dealership? He said they were deleted when he and his brother bought them new, he did have a sponsorship from the dealer.

D.W.

Last edited by DocWatson; December 15th, 2016 at 08:47 AM. Reason: .
Old December 15th, 2016, 09:10 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... Maybe they were done at the dealership? He said they were deleted when he and his brother bought them new, he did have a sponsorship from the dealer.
Now THAT is a horse of a different color.

A dealership sponsoring him for racing and helping prep the car is a whole other thing, and not unlikely at all.

- Eric
Old December 15th, 2016, 10:05 AM

The last year for heater delete cars was model year 1969. I have pulled many heater deletes including the model year 1969.

Refer to:
National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966.
Old December 15th, 2016, 10:22 AM

?????

What are you saying?

We all know that Heat and A/C bodies had firewall differences.

But there is no such thing as "A/C delete."

If you didn't want A/C, then you got a heater. That's not "delete." It's choosing not to buy an option.

If you didn't want a heater in '67 and earlier, even though it was standard, you could have it deleted by special order.
That's "heater delete."

Same thing goes for the radio. The radio was an option. If you didn't want it, you didn't order the option. It didn't come with the car unless it was ordered, so not ordering it is not "deleting" it, it is simply getting the normal base car.

- Eric
Interesting. I did just look at the 67 specs booklet, and all radios did cost money, which is as you said. I had thought that the base radio was standard, an upgrade was an option, and removing it was a delete, but they both seem to be options, and standard was nothing.
Old December 15th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Exactly. While different trim levels did include some non-trim features (larger engines, carpeting instead of rubber mats), there were no "option packages" that included a radio, or P/S, or P/B, or A/C, or power windows.
Even on the 98 and Toronado, the radio, A/C, and power windows were optional, and you didn't get them without checking the box and paying extra for them.

- Eric
Old December 15th, 2016, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by joesw31
The last year for heater delete cars was model year 1969. I have pulled many heater deletes including the model year 1969.

Refer to:
National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966.
Interesting,I always thought and was told that the Feds changed the heater requirement in 68,not 70. I know you pulled a lot of the delete parts in HI,so I'm not going to debate you on this. I may do some research though for knowledge,thanks for the info.
Old December 15th, 2016, 12:37 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Is it possible that the option of deleting the standard heater was only commonly offered in certain markets, such as Hawaii, in '68 to '70, and kept on the down-low in other places, but still obtainable if the buyer knew and pushed for it?

- Eric
Old December 15th, 2016, 01:43 PM

Is it possible that the option of deleting the standard heater was only commonly offered in certain markets, such as Hawaii, in '68 to '70, and kept on the down-low in other places, but still obtainable if the buyer knew and pushed for it?

- Eric
It could be cars sent to HI were considered export,therefore heater delete was available. In all of my 35 + years of the hobby,I've never seen a 68 heater delete car.
Old December 15th, 2016, 02:09 PM

Cars sent to Hawaii (the 50th State) is not considered export. Further, Hawaii is not the only State that got heater delete cars, other States such as California, Arizona, and New Mexico also got heater delete cars.
Old December 16th, 2016, 12:03 PM

It might be interesting to see what the 68 engine assembly section in the PIM would have to say about this. There would have to be something about heater delete listing changes to the engine assembly and bill of materials specifying some kind of block off for the intake manifold heater port as well as something about a special water pump or a block off on that unit as well.
Old December 16th, 2016, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by costpenn
It might be interesting to see what the 68 engine assembly section in the PIM would have to say about this. There would have to be something about heater delete listing changes to the engine assembly and bill of materials specifying some kind of block off for the intake manifold heater port as well as something about a special water pump or a block off on that unit as well.

Joe,

Also, (different) dash insulation pad that covered where the heater box was used. The pads were not cut for a heater to be installed. Also, a plug with clamp covered the nipple on the intake manifold and water pump nipple.

There was a 68 Hurst Olds that was raced in Honolulu, that car was originally from Utah, and converted to a heater delete.
Old December 16th, 2016, 12:23 PM

Maybe slightly off topic but the assembly manual for 1969 shows all the heater delete items and how they were assembled. Including the dash plate.

Ryan
Old December 16th, 2016, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by costpenn
PIM section 6-1, Page 400. Title is "Engine Conversion (Cars Without Heaters)". It instructs to remove existing intake manifold nipple and install a plug, then install a cap and clamp on the water pump heater hose fitting.

PIM section 1-3, Page 400 shows the "Heater Control Hole Cover" for the dash HVAC controls and states Export Only on the drawing.

There might be a block off plate section for the firewall too, but I ran out of time to dig for it...
Old December 16th, 2016, 01:51 PM
Bfg

My cousin once had a 65 Chey Van with heater delete and added a pot belly stove for heat. I think eventually it burned up.
Old December 16th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Bfg
My cousin once had a 65 Chey Van with heater delete and added a pot belly stove for heat. I think eventually it burned up.
Ha ha. Talk about "rolling coal."

- Eric