68 Hurst tech assistance needed

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2011, 08:47 AM

68 Hurst tech assistance needed

question #1

i know there wasn't a ton of them made, but does anyone have a 68 hurst w/air? i'm interested to see some underhood pics. mainly curious as to what heat riser parts are used that connect to the air cleaner base. we have a bunch of oldsmobile parts, but everything we do doesn't seem right, or it interferes with the a/c mounting bracket on top of the valve cover. when the car came to us to be restored, none of these parts were on it, and having never dealt with this before (ram air car w/ac), we're kinda stumped.

question #2

did the the 68 hurst have a tune up decal on the radiator cover being as though it was a 455? i've seen a few pics of hurst's that have one as well as the larger decal for the ram air closer to the hood latch. but i've also seen what i believe to be pics of an original unmolested car that has only the ram air decal, but it's back by the fan shroud (above the fan) were the tune up decal would normally go. stumped on this one, too.

any help with these questions would be much appreciated.
Old March 29th, 2011, 02:40 PM

Sorry for stubling on your post a little late, here are two shots of a restored 1968 A/C engine compartment.

Originally Posted by scr8p
question #1

i know there wasn't a ton of them made, but does anyone have a 68 hurst w/air? i'm interested to see some underhood pics. mainly curious as to what heat riser parts are used that connect to the air cleaner base. we have a bunch of oldsmobile parts, but everything we do doesn't seem right, or it interferes with the a/c mounting bracket on top of the valve cover. when the car came to us to be restored, none of these parts were on it, and having never dealt with this before (ram air car w/ac), we're kinda stumped.

question #2

did the the 68 hurst have a tune up decal on the radiator cover being as though it was a 455? i've seen a few pics of hurst's that have one as well as the larger decal for the ram air closer to the hood latch. but i've also seen what i believe to be pics of an original unmolested car that has only the ram air decal, but it's back by the fan shroud (above the fan) were the tune up decal would normally go. stumped on this one, too.

any help with these questions would be much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P6280081.jpg (96.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg
P6280082.jpg (93.3 KB, 57 views)
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:37 PM

'68 hurst

69hurst....WOW, what fantastic job on your engine bay. I hope you don't mind but I made some copies of it for reference. Could you tell me where you got your brake lines from. I'm trying to set up the same system for mine. Again, looks great.

Mike
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:48 PM

That is not a 69, but a 68 as you requested. The big giveaway are the hoses routing to the bumper from the air cleaner.
Old April 12th, 2011, 07:34 PM

Mike;
Wish I could take credit for it but that 1968 H/O was someone elses car I took pictures of at a prior H/OCA meet, unfortunately I do not know where those brake lines came from.

Originally Posted by Mike H.
69hurst....WOW, what fantastic job on your engine bay. I hope you don't mind but I made some copies of it for reference. Could you tell me where you got your brake lines from. I'm trying to set up the same system for mine. Again, looks great.

Mike