'68 Hurst Olds Find

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2017, 09:59 AM
RAG

'68 Hurst Olds Find

Finally got to see this '68 H/O I heard about, has been sitting outside for 30 years. Bought new in Colorado for racing, ended up in New Mexico in 1987 with a '66 tri-power "E" block in it. Has been sitting ever since. It is NOT for sale and I will not disclose exact location or owner so don't ask.

Old September 6th, 2017, 10:40 AM

Now that is cool! They need to take that to the Barn Find section of MCACN!
Old September 6th, 2017, 11:58 AM

Wow that's awesome. Is it on the registry? Karl has been actively trying to keep that up to date, as it has provided a neat insight on statistics for how these cars were ordered and exist.

Also agree with Eric that this would be an all star in the MCACN barn finds section!!

I'm going to guess it's a relatively mid to late car in the sequence because there's no silver paint showing underneath the black decklid...

Thanks for the pics!
Old September 6th, 2017, 01:17 PM

very cool!! Based on the position of the clouds, the white plastic fence and the native plants of that region I have already narrowed down the location to three square miles using Google Earth
Old September 6th, 2017, 01:28 PM
Runner

Originally Posted by stevengerard
very cool!! Based on the position of the clouds, the white plastic fence and the native plants of that region I have already narrowed down the location to three square miles using Google Earth

But seriously... thats really neat.
Old September 6th, 2017, 04:27 PM

Nice discovery!!!
Old September 6th, 2017, 05:17 PM
Olds Fever

Obviously a great find... Looks like a very solid body from the side photo... Looks like we will have to send out some drones to track down that piece of history..
Old September 6th, 2017, 05:34 PM
Old School Olds

So Rag, are you going to be able to add it to your stable? Looks like a great find.
Is the 66 tri-carb still on it?
Old September 6th, 2017, 05:47 PM
RAG

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
So Rag, are you going to be able to add it to your stable? Looks like a great find.
Is the 66 tri-carb still on it?
The car is Demmer #144, delivered to the dealer on the trunk. The tri-power still exists in his garage. I would love to have it to reside with my '69 H/O but the owner will probably take it to his grave with him in it without it ever being restored. I lived in Lansing in 1968 and got to tour the '68's being converted, so that sparked my love of H/O's.
Old September 6th, 2017, 07:32 PM

Kick the owner in the nuts for me.
Old September 7th, 2017, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by RAG
I lived in Lansing in 1968 and got to tour the '68's being converted, so that sparked my love of H/O's.
Lets hear more about the tour!
Old September 7th, 2017, 07:04 AM

^ I was thinkng same thing, start another thread please and fill us in
Old September 7th, 2017, 07:34 AM

I know that car and I know where it's been sitting. Looks like it's been moved. There can't be many 68 HO cars still hiding where nobody knows about them. When I bought my 68 Hurst Olds in the mid 80s, I got wind of this one. People have talked about this car in the past. I hope you can buy the car from the owner and bring it back to life because it's about time someone saves this car..

Last edited by Herbie; September 7th, 2017 at 07:37 AM.
Old September 7th, 2017, 10:24 AM

nut kick

Originally Posted by 67abody
Kick the owner in the nuts for me.
get in line.
Old September 7th, 2017, 12:47 PM
72 Olds CS

yeah i just dont see why people will hang onto something until its worthless geez either drive it, fix it, or sell it !!
Old September 7th, 2017, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
yeah i just dont see why people will hang onto something until its worthless geez either drive it, fix it, or sell it !!
Or at least preserve it as is so that it does not deteriorate further. Then it can at least be a future barn find with something left to be worth finding.
Old September 7th, 2017, 03:54 PM

Hey, at least the tires hold air and the wheels aren't buried 2 feet in the dirt.
Old September 9th, 2017, 03:40 PM

Is it original paint ?(looks like)because the lower stripes look different than what is supposed to be laid out from what I have been lead to believe, you should take some pics of things if its an original car ,if the owner lets you
Old September 9th, 2017, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by RAG
Bought new in Colorado for racing, ended up in New Mexico in 1987 with a '66 tri-power "E" block in it.
What a cool car! !

Obviously from the ride height the engine is not in it.

The interior has been covered in bed sheets or ?? for preservation protecting parts or ???

There can’t have been more than one delivered to Vidmar-Mathis Oldsmobile.

Someone tried dryer vent duct for the ram air with some strange air cleaner (as seen in the trunk)?
Old September 9th, 2017, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketguy
Obviously from the ride height the engine is not in it.
Yep, that was stated above. Non original engine.
Originally Posted by RAG
Bought new in Colorado for racing, ended up in New Mexico in 1987 with a '66 tri-power "E" block in it.
Originally Posted by RAG
The tri-power still exists in his garage.
Old September 10th, 2017, 07:08 PM
RAG

Originally Posted by driverchoice
Is it original paint ?(looks like)because the lower stripes look different than what is supposed to be laid out from what I have been lead to believe, you should take some pics of things if its an original car ,if the owner lets you
The car is all original paint as far as I know, current owner never touched it. The car had been covered for most of the 30 years sitting and interior is still good looking but brittle. It's 130 miles from me so I won't be getting back there except to put it on my trailer when he finally decides to sell it to me?? He also has a '84 H/O to restore which is in his driveway so we'll see what the future holds.

The hoses in the trunk were a home made ram air setup for the tri-power and looks like the old Ford set up for their dual quads.
Old September 11th, 2017, 08:42 PM

cool car and story...I was at the local auto parts store when a hispanic guy came up to me and asked if that was my 442 convertible outside,i said it was and he said his brother has one, I said lets go meet him...I drove to his place and he introduced me to his brother, nice guy...he said go check out mine in the back yard under the cover, I lifted up the cover and there it sat, in the weeds with dust a foot tall...a arizona no rust 68 HO with ac, all original one owner, I asked him if it was for sale, he said no, going to restore it someday to pay for his daughters college...lol...its still there, I go talk to him every other year to check on it, still in the same place,never moving....lol
Old December 30th, 2017, 09:39 PM

My friend has 5 H/O's at his house in Calif. Three 68 two 69 non are complete as he bought them that way. He is out of town right now but when he gets back i'll post his number.
GOOD LUCK I tried to buy one once.
Old December 31st, 2017, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Gerald Nickels
My friend has 5 H/O's at his house in Calif. Three 68 two 69 non are complete as he bought them that way. He is out of town right now but when he gets back i'll post his number.
GOOD LUCK I tried to buy one once.

Something to consider...... letting the H/O registry know the VIN's and state they are residing in.

And GOOD Luck to all..........
Ralph
Old June 25th, 2019, 06:34 PM
RAG

hurst olds

After two years I finally have possession of the car!
Old June 25th, 2019, 06:40 PM
RAG

hurst olds

Originally Posted by driverchoice
Once I got it home discovered that it did have a repaint so stripes could be wrong.
Old June 25th, 2019, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger

I have learn some people love the trill of having something other people want. Sad fact of life.
Old June 25th, 2019, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by RAG
After two years I finally have possession of the car!
Thats great, enjoy going thru it. Take lots of photos and video as it sits now 😉
Old December 2nd, 2019, 12:36 PM

What? Your a punk!

Originally Posted by RAG
Finally got to see this '68 H/O I heard about, has been sitting outside for 30 years. Bought new in Colorado for racing, ended up in New Mexico in 1987 with a '66 tri-power "E" block in it. Has been sitting ever since. It is NOT for sale and I will not disclose exact location or owner so don't ask.

Old February 27th, 2020, 04:36 PM
RAG

The 455 build is finished, using the tri carb set up that came with the car as it was last raced.

Old February 27th, 2020, 06:51 PM

Sweet...
Old February 27th, 2020, 07:51 PM

I’d reckon it wasn’t raced with those aluminum heads! Are you gonna show up to Pate in it with a trailer in tow?
Old February 28th, 2020, 07:26 AM

Where they assembled the ‘68 and ‘69 H/O’s was not a real Disney trip of a place to “Tour.” The place is a tool and die plant called Demmer engineering and it was relatively small as far as plants are concerned. Not much fan fare. It’s off of Oakland Street in Lansing Michigan. They do military vehicles for the US Army until the 2000’s. They painted the deck lid black, added the stripes and installed mini console and the Dual Gate shifter. The ram air was installed at the plant. My parents built these cars from 1966-1999. John and Ed Demmer were the brothers who owned the company. I worked there.
Old February 28th, 2020, 07:52 AM
RAG

Originally Posted by Rude dude
Where they assembled the ‘68 and ‘69 H/O’s was not a real Disney trip of a place to “Tour.” The place is a tool and die plant called Demmer engineering and it was relatively small as far as plants are concerned. Not much fan fare. It’s off of Oakland Street in Lansing Michigan. They do military vehicles for the US Army until the 2000’s. They painted the deck lid black, added the stripes and installed mini console and the Dual Gate shifter. The ram air was installed at the plant. My parents built these cars from 1966-1999. John and Ed Demmer were the brothers who owned the company. I worked there.
Very cool history, actually I grew up near Lansing and our auto shop class from Mason High School took a tour of the Demmer facility and saw the rooms full of cars being converted, so maybe I even saw my car there. Ed Demmer's '68 H/O is the only other '68 H/O that I know of with the tri carb set up. I took this photo of it in 2018, a few weeks after John's death.