General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Problem Rebuilding AC fuel pump 1961 394 engine

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2015, 02:36 PM

Problem Rebuilding AC fuel pump 1961 394 engine

I am in the process of overhauling my AC fuel pump. I disassembled the fuel pump section, I am trying to disengage the diaphragm pull rod from the fuel link (actuator rod). The manual says to compress the diaphragm and then tip the pull rod away from the fuel link (pump actuator). This procedure should raise the slotted pull rod and allow the assembly to slide over the cut out on the actuator end = |_| Well, I must be missing something can't get it to disengage. Anyone know the trick to this simple procedure?
Old November 7th, 2015, 01:04 PM

I got it! Actually I drilled the diaphragm rod end and separated the rod from the diaphragm. This allowed free access and the rod finally separated from the actuator rod. Now that I have it apart discovered the reason for the hang up. Dirt and crud prevented the actuator end from moving and separating as designed. Hopefully assembly will be easier.
Old November 7th, 2015, 07:47 PM

On page 8-39 of the service manual under the cleaning and inspection portion close attention should be given to step 2a and the note at the end of that subsection. If the diaphragm doesn't properly seal against the body's flanges, there will be leakage of fuel and/or air. If distortion is too great for sanding try a sealant or replace the casting.
Old November 11th, 2015, 05:10 PM

Disassembly of the pump went hard, discovered the vacuum diaphragm has to be disassembled to install the new diaphragm rubber seal. Next cleaning and inspecting the pump housing assembly.
Old November 12th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Oldsdruid

Where did you find the kit? I have a couple of 63-64 f/p that need rebuilding.
Old November 13th, 2015, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Where did you find the kit? I have a couple of 63-64 f/p that need rebuilding.

You will need the pump part number, stamped on the mounting flange. Don't remember the supplier, I will need to check the paperwork. I did a search on the web, not a really hard to find. You may want to reconsider, I am not going to rebuild another one, ever! It took me three hours to repair/replace the vacuum diaphragm rubber seal. Hopeful the end result will be worth it???
Old November 22nd, 2015, 05:21 PM

Fuel pump overhaul kit purchased from Arizona Vintage Parts - eBay.
Old November 28th, 2015, 08:19 AM

Well the pump housing is all cleaned, now ready to check the mating surfaces to make sure they are not warped. Then install the new check valves and seals. This is a hobby, right?
Old November 28th, 2015, 04:01 PM

Yes it is Larry,( unless your making a living with this old stuff). When I get irritated due mainly to my limited skill sets, I turn off the light shut the door and go have an adult beverage. Sometimes a lot easier said than done-
Old December 13th, 2015, 07:00 AM

It is finished!!!!! Yesterday I finished assembling the fuel/vacuum pump. Now all I have left is the install on the engine. Hoping it checks out ok???? I will never rebuild another, took weeks overcoming all kinds of problems. I don't know what the current cost of getting a fuel pump overhauled currently is, whatever the cost it isn't enough. I will post a documentary when all is set and done.
Old December 13th, 2015, 01:14 PM

Please do, let us know some detail on the rebuild....Thanks
Old December 13th, 2015, 01:39 PM

I had some trouble rebuilding the fuel pump on my '64 Dynamic 88. Mine didn't even have the vacuum pump on it.
I purchased my kit from Hal Houghton - www.classicpreservation.com
After mine leaked, I sent it to him, and he did a fine job of rebuilding it. I highly recomend him.
Old December 19th, 2015, 09:22 AM

Installed fuel pump on the engine with no difficulty. I primed pump with fuel, after cranking much longer than normal the engine came alive and settled into a smooth idle. No leaks everying appears to be working properly. "WOW" Drove the car around the block, another successful repair!
Old December 19th, 2015, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Well done, I too did one of the fuel/vacuum pump rebuilds and agree with you. The 1935 fuel pump was quite a challenge and not very enjoyable. Glad you got it together.
Old December 20th, 2015, 05:41 AM

I will in the near future post the complete process, complete with pictures. I had to devise a number of procedures that I can pass along. I did not lose my temper the whole time, did walk away though.