General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Second VIN on '50 Olds?

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2013, 08:39 PM

Second VIN on '50 Olds?

I'm trying to register my "new" 1950 Oldsmobile and the motor vehicle folks are asking me where the "second" VIN number is on the car. As far as I know, there is no second VIN on the 1950 Oldsmobiles. Am I wrong about that? Thanks, Evans
Old January 31st, 2013, 08:53 AM

CW: Where is the second VIN? Is it in a place where I can double check before I go forward with the purchase? Thanks, Evans.
Old January 31st, 2013, 09:06 AM
72 Olds CS

Some a bodies have it on top of the frame rail on the drivers side, some where from the drivers door to the rear wheel frame arch
Old January 31st, 2013, 09:09 AM

Evans! I know search on this site can be brutal but try searching. I can't remember where the other VIN is on your car but I believe a remember a thread pointing that out and it is definitely different than my 1970 frame location near the front door.
Old January 31st, 2013, 09:14 AM

Searching on this site is painful because it doesn't pick up short phrases like 88 or 50 or possibly even VIN. Finding something like this can be next to impossible.
Old January 31st, 2013, 09:45 AM

If this helps, on my '55 Cadillac it is on the top of the passenger side (righthand) frame rail, about mid-engine. The engine number and VIN are one and the same for the Cad.
Old January 31st, 2013, 10:13 AM
70 Cutlass SX

I googled "second vin 1950 oldsmobile" and came p with a few enties (this one included).
See: http://forums.aaca.org/f169/1950-old...on-223863.html
and:
http://forums.aaca.org/f136/1950-old...rs-251441.html
Old January 31st, 2013, 10:14 AM

Dave, thanks for that. On my '65 Mustang it's on top of the rail under the right front fender. I'd still like to find out for sure where it is (if there is one) on a 1950 Oldsmobile, so I can confirm they match before I put out money for the car. Funny thing, I did a search on this forum a few days ago and found a long thread on the very subject of VINs. I didn't have time to read them so I closed out figuring I would be able to go right back to it when I had more time. And you guessed it, I can't find that thread again no matter how many different searches I make.
Old January 31st, 2013, 10:24 AM

P Card: Many thanks. Those two threads were very helpful. I'm still looking for the second VIN, though. What if it's under one of the fenders? Is the DMV or the CHP going to take off the fender to confirm the numbers match? It doesn't make sense. Things like this are not easy in California.
Old January 31st, 2013, 10:44 AM

In the thread that discussed this before the poster said he found the second VIN on the top of the frame, passenger side, on the backside if the rearend kickup. It would be extremely difficult to see it with the body on. I tried to find it in that location on one of my 50's and never could.
Old January 31st, 2013, 04:04 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

Not to be picky but VIN #'s didn't appear until 1969... your Olds has a serial number. And most cars of the era DID have a hidden serial number for two reasons... one to match the frame to the body on the assembly line and also to ID stolen cars with altered serial numbers.
Old January 31st, 2013, 09:18 PM

Krooser--VIN or serial number?

Krooser: I suppose it's almost a matter of semantics. When is a VIN a serial number, and a serial number a VIN? According to the website Oldsvin, even as far back as 1946 the Olds "serial number" was apparently referred to as a VIN number on occasion (see link below). And, of course, you're right that the "second VIN" is used as a theft deterrent, but as is so often the case, only the car theives seem to know exactly where it's located. That leaves honest hobbyists like us a bit out in the cold when we're trying to make an good-faith effort to ensure the car we're about to buy has original "numbers" that will pass muster with local DMV inspections.

http://v8cars.hu/oldsvin/decode.php
Old February 1st, 2013, 06:16 AM
Hot Rod Has Been

Originally Posted by Evans1
Krooser: I suppose it's almost a matter of semantics. When is a VIN a serial number, and a serial number a VIN? According to the website Oldsvin, even as far back as 1946 the Olds "serial number" was apparently referred to as a VIN number on occasion (see link below). And, of course, you're right that the "second VIN" is used as a theft deterrent, but as is so often the case, only the car theives seem to know exactly where it's located. That leaves honest hobbyists like us a bit out in the cold when we're trying to make an good-faith effort to ensure the car we're about to buy has original "numbers" that will pass muster with local DMV inspections.

http://v8cars.hu/oldsvin/decode.php
The VIN numbers were started by DOT edict so a consumer/mechanic/dealer could tell everything about the car's original engine and other equipment, country of origin, etc. You can never find that with a serial number as it's only a production number... cars from the 50's thru the late 60's had a separate "data" plate to give body and trim info but that's about it.

For example try looking at a 50's serial number, or any number plate on theses cars, and try to determine the original engine, country of origin or the original assembly plant, ... not possible. But all of that info is on a true VIN. No reference to any VIN numbers in any factory literature, etc. until 1969 I believe. And then the US didn't make them mandatory until the 80's.

Most states used the engine serial number for title purposes until 1954 or so. If your engine was changed you were supposed to notify the state to change your title info to stay legal.

Words have meanings and the word "VIN" is widely misused.... next we'll tackle "needs restored"....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle...ication_Number

Last edited by krooser; February 1st, 2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old February 1st, 2013, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by krooser
No reference to any VIN numbers in any factory literature, etc. until 1969 I believe.
The Olds Assembly Manuals started calling them Vehicle Identification Numbers in 1967 but I checked back as far as 1965 and they have the same information (engine, body style) they are just called Plate Vehicle Numbers. I don't know when they started specifically identifying the vehicle model and engine but it was definitely before 1969
Old February 1st, 2013, 08:47 AM

More re VIN

Krooser/AllyOlds68: Who'd ever think we'd get this much interest going with a discussion on "VIN"? LOL. When I decode the VIN on my 1950 Olds I learn quite a bit: it's a 1950; it's an Oldsmobile; it's an eighty-eight; it was assembled in Lansing, Michigan; and the serial number is the final 5 digits. On my '65 Mustang's "VIN" I get essentially the same info when I decode it: it's a 1965; it was assembled in San Jose, California; it's a fastback; its has a V8 with 4 barrell carburetor; and the serial number is the final six digits (also called a sequential production number in some manuals). On the Mustang, I have to look on the data plate that's riveted to the driver's door for info on the body color, interior trim/color, trans type, rearend ratio, etc. But I'm still trying to find something that will tell me if my '50 Olds came with a "second" or "hidden" VIN, aka serial number. I don't even care to know where it's located, I just want to be able to show the DMV that the car didn't come with a second VIN (if, in fact, it didn't) so I don't spend hours with them trying to locate it or info on it. I'm surprised that this bit of info is so hard to track down. You'd think it was documented in some literature a long time ago.
Old February 1st, 2013, 09:13 AM

Have you tried emailing these guys?

http://forums.aaca.org/f169/1950-old...on-223863.html

They had the same question.

A google search of "oldsmobile vin location 1950" turned up a lot of info (I might add that it found posts the same search here doesn't find ). I have found where the vin (or whatever you want to call it in 1950) was stamped on the engine assuming you still have the original engine. You've got to remember that CHP is likely not going to have any more info on a vin location than you can find on the web for a 1950.
Old February 1st, 2013, 09:41 AM
Hot Rod Has Been

From the HAMB... searched for "serial number".....

sirstude
Grenade Inspector

Re: 47 olds vin location
There should also be a matching number stamped on the top of the drivers frame rail, just in front of the front cowl mount. That is where it is on my 41, and the 47 parts car I was just looking at. Both of which are Oldsmobiles. The screw on serial number plate is what the state of Montana used for my VIN.
Someday it will be done
1934 Victoria
Who knows
Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:46 PM

An engine number was used in '50 for title purpose.
The screw on plate on the drivers side door jam is considered the ID plate.
If the engine is there, like said above look between the head and exhaust manifold.
If the engine is gone, it all depends on the state on what to do.
I have never look on my '50 for any numbers on the frame.
Maybe get a hold of a guy name "Tom Holt" in Florida. He has a ton of parts and I think every kind of '50 Olds.

Gene

Last edited by 64Rocket; February 2nd, 2013 at 07:48 PM.