General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1984 Ninety-Eight Power Seats

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2012, 08:22 AM

1984 Ninety-Eight Power Seats

This probably has been covered in another thread, but I have not found it yet. I have a 1984 Olds 98. Both power front seats are not working. The motors run but the seats do not move in any direction. From other research, it seems it may have something to do with the small nylon coupling being broken, which mine are. You can see them if you look under the front of the seat. I have found replacements on ebay, but I'm wondering how big a job it is to replace them. Is it necessary to remove the entire seat? I have the Fisher manuals but have not found anything yet which covers this specifically. Thanks for any help.
Old July 16th, 2012, 12:04 PM

You can do it without removing the seat. You just need a small socket wrench. That's how I did it
Old July 16th, 2012, 12:24 PM

Ok..I was hoping it was something like that. Thanks!
Old July 16th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by stringbander
I have a 1984 Olds 98. Both power front seats are not working. The motors run but the seats do not move in any direction. From other research, it seems it may have something to do with the small nylon coupling being broken, which mine are. You can see them if you look under the front of the seat. I have found replacements on ebay, but I'm wondering how big a job it is to replace them. Is it necessary to remove the entire seat? I have the Fisher manuals but have not found anything yet which covers this specifically. Thanks for any help.
I had an 83 Regency Brougham and the drivers seat did that with just 1 of the adjusters. I ended up taking my seat out at the time because I also found the left seat track was cracked.

IIRC you should be able to squeeze the connector so it's no longer locking the cable into the motor, then just pull off. I don't remember offhand how the nylon coupler is fastened to the cable though.

Post pics if you can?? This will be a great repair thread for others who may need it.

BTW, this was my 83 - look familiar? Only major difference is it's a Brougham trim and had the moon roof - Blue velour interior. Sold with 300K on it back in 2003
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
New Picture.jpg (28.0 KB, 30 views)
Old July 16th, 2012, 01:06 PM

Great looking '83 Allan. I'm not sure how soon I'll do the repair, but I will try to post some pictures when I do. Thanks!
Old July 16th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thanks, it was a great car and I still miss it. It had not only power seats, but reclining too! So did my 95 98 Regency Elite. It was even cooler with 2 memory positions you could program into a switch on the side door!

Hopefully right now your power seats are in the position you need them for driving??
Old July 16th, 2012, 01:25 PM

Yes, the seats are in a good spot. The driver seat actually broke when I was moving it back to drive the car some time ago. So the repair has not really been a priority, but it would be nice to have working seats. I do have the car For Sale if you or anyone you know is interested. In the mean time, I'm driving it. It rides nicely!
Old July 16th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That's great news. My front seat need to be repaired ....right in middle of winter... great timing to work in a non heated garage. Got all the parts I needed from the local boneyard. Not too many of these ol boats still come in there nowadays.

Yes, they are great riding cars. Mine saved my life back in 93. I was on my way home from work and got t boned by a guy who left in a posted 'no left turn' lane. Fortunately I saw him coming and swerved to the right and braked. Lower speed impact (20+mph). Inside the car I felt like someone had gently pushed me to the side. That car absorbed the crash like a trooper! Seeing as it was my DD at the time and it was in immaculate shape, the insurance company fixed it. Slight frame damage that was fixed, replaced L. front fender, both L doors and small amount of damage to the rear 1/4 panel. Fortunately no roof line damage. After I got it back, it was just as good as new. I still remember how great that car rode and how quiet it was.

BTW, where are you located??
Old July 17th, 2012, 07:58 AM

Oklahoma (USA)
Old December 16th, 2018, 06:54 AM
Certified Car Crazy

Please share the coupling supplier

I know you said you found them on EBay but I need a few if you think you could share the link or any information you used to narrow down your search for these couplings. I’m not having much success.

Originally Posted by stringbander
This probably has been covered in another thread, but I have not found it yet. I have a 1984 Olds 98. Both power front seats are not working. The motors run but the seats do not move in any direction. From other research, it seems it may have something to do with the small nylon coupling being broken, which mine are. You can see them if you look under the front of the seat. I have found replacements on ebay, but I'm wondering how big a job it is to replace them. Is it necessary to remove the entire seat? I have the Fisher manuals but have not found anything yet which covers this specifically. Thanks for any help.
Old December 17th, 2018, 06:26 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by apexstudebaker
I know you said you found them on EBay but I need a few if you think you could share the link or any information you used to narrow down your search for these couplings. I’m not having much success.
Type GM power seat coupler into Google. And yes, the G-body coupler that is available everywhere on line is the same part used in the B- and C-body cars.