General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

POV Air Conditioning 1966 Toronado

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Matthew Reader

POV Air Conditioning 1966 Toronado

My A/C on my Toronado doesn't seem to stay cold unless stopped or moving at a high speed. It is the opposite of the usual problem with pressure building up as car runs and cold air comes out, which is from low R14/freon in the system...my mechanic said we may need to get a kit to gut the POV valve- he'd just done the same thing on a 67 Corvette AC system- anyone had this experience- or know where to get this mythical kit?

Thanks!
Old July 15th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

A POA update kit is sold by Classic Auto Air out of Texas.

www.classicautoair.com
Old July 16th, 2012, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by PalmSpringsOlds
My A/C on my Toronado doesn't seem to stay cold unless stopped or moving at a high speed. It is the opposite of the usual problem with pressure building up as car runs and cold air comes out, which is from low R14/freon in the system...my mechanic said we may need to get a kit to gut the POV valve- he'd just done the same thing on a 67 Corvette AC system- anyone had this experience- or know where to get this mythical kit?

Thanks!
Your mechanic may be talking about this kit: http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalo...lass&Year=1971
Old July 16th, 2012, 12:36 PM

If your mechanic will guarantee that magic part will fix it, then let him do it. If it does not fix it, you should not owe a dime and he puts the POA valve back in.
Many AC techs do not understand the POA and often accuse them for whatever issue the system has.
By any chance was he able to get some pressure readings indicating the POA is failing?
Old July 16th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Originally Posted by classicjoe
Your mechanic may be talking about this kit: http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalo...lass&Year=1971
Wow ... guess I had a major brain fart.

I was lookin' around the site I posted & thinking ...

Geez - they sure changed things around from the last time I last looked.

Which was not that long ago ... since I sold a POA kit I never used not that long ago.

That certainly explains a major website update ...

Cause' it's NOT the same place.

Old Air products is what I meant to say.

Old July 16th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Matthew Reader

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
If your mechanic will guarantee that magic part will fix it, then let him do it. If it does not fix it, you should not owe a dime and he puts the POA valve back in.
Many AC techs do not understand the POA and often accuse them for whatever issue the system has.
By any chance was he able to get some pressure readings indicating the POA is failing?
It worked apparently on this 67 Corvette that had the same problem. The AC is sort of working, and seems like this might be the explanation for it- he never charges me a whole lot, but this he's willing to tinker with sinc I've already paid to have the AC fixed and it's nearly right, just not quite perfect...
Old July 16th, 2012, 07:45 PM

It worked apparently on this 67 Corvette that had the same problem. The AC is sort of working, and seems like this might be the explanation for it- he never charges me a whole lot, but this he's willing to tinker with sinc I've already paid to have the AC fixed and it's nearly right, just not quite perfect...
As previously stated, your mechanic needs to do a pressure reading to determine if the POA is failing. If it is, then he can obtain a new one( POA valve) or obtain the "upgraded" kit w/ the cycle switch. Anyways, I think your mechanic is taking short cuts to solve the problem at your expense as you will have to purchase the new part ie.. poa valve or upgraded kit.
Old July 16th, 2012, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by ThePackRat
Wow ... guess I had a major brain fart.

I was lookin' around the site I posted & thinking ...

Geez - they sure changed things around from the last time I last looked.

Which was not that long ago ... since I sold a POA kit I never used not that long ago.

That certainly explains a major website update ...

Cause' it's NOT the same place.

Old Air products is what I meant to say.

I thought thats what you meant as I almost purchase the POA kit you had for sale but, I sold before I decided to pull the trigger on doing the conversion on my POA valve...
Old July 17th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Matthew Reader

From what I understand, the pressure readings are ok/normal, and everything else has been replaced. The a/c does get cold, but doesn't stay cold, and not when you'd tidally expect it to, i.e. after car is moving, pressure usually builds, then icy cold. It only gets really cold at stops, or immediately after hard acceleration, which isn't normal, then warms up at speed. I see why ge's thinking that is the issue, and I'm willing to try, not like he's going to charge me for his time. Do you have a better idea on what it might be?
Old July 17th, 2012, 06:42 AM

From what I understand, the pressure readings are ok/normal, and everything else has been replaced. The a/c does get cold, but doesn't stay cold, and not when you'd tidally expect it to, i.e. after car is moving, pressure usually builds, then icy cold. It only gets really cold at stops, or immediately after hard acceleration, which isn't normal, then warms up at speed. I see why ge's thinking that is the issue, and I'm willing to try, not like he's going to charge me for his time. Do you have a better idea on what it might be?
If you trust your mechanic and he suggest upgrading you POA valve, I say go for it. I have had great success updating my POA valve to a cycle system and its working great for me! The link I provided in the previous post is where I purchased mines from, great people to do business with.. Keep us posted on how it worked out for you..
Old July 17th, 2012, 09:22 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

First thing is to understand how the pilot operated absolute valve operates. Go to classic auto air's web site. There is a complete explanation of how it works and how to trouble shoot it.
Furthermore have you ruled out any vacuum leaks in the blend door or other vacuum actuated valves. This dash is entirely vacuum. Does it have the C61 Comfortron option? This has been known to cause a problem similar to what you describe. You will find info at Classic and Vintage auto air. Of course Google. I've personally dealt with Vintage. They’re friendly and knowledgeable. They may even offer the correct troubleshooting literature. I have a 68 motors manual I can take a look at when I get home. It has a fairly detailed A/C section. Let me know. There is a thread here also... type in the bold header below it should take you there, matt15 has commented on this dated Nov 26 2008.
A/C Comfortron Switch Problem