General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

'66 Delta Accelerator problem

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2012, 01:46 PM

'66 Delta Accelerator problem

The lever/roller unit that goes behind the accelerator pedal in my '66 Delta 88 has popped up above the pedal. I can't get it properly placed back behind the pedal....it wants to stay above the top edge of the pedal.

I looked under the hood for signs of anything messed up with the linkage/springs etc, but I couldn't find anything......I had my service manual open to the corresponding page that shows the linkage, etc. under the hood but couldn't see anything that might cause this problem.

I must be missing something but can't figure out what that might be.

Can anyone out there help me with this ?

Ron
Old May 23rd, 2012, 02:39 PM

I know this sounds dumb, but is it possible your pedal came loose off of the studs at the floor and slid down and away from roller? Assuming the pedal mounts like a 98.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by m371961
I know this sounds dumb, but is it possible your pedal came loose off of the studs at the floor and slid down and away from roller? Assuming the pedal mounts like a 98.
Nope, solid on the studs, almost seems as though something has gone loose/missing/or something under the hood where the swivel/springs/swithch unit is located but it just dosen't seem like anything is missing. I'm poiplexed.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 03:48 PM

Maybe a picture or 2 ?? You should be able to pull back the pedal and get the roller and rod back where it belongs but it does seem like something is not right.
Old May 24th, 2012, 01:14 AM

Yes, Oldsmaniac, you're right. I can pull it down but it keeps flopping back up to the unwanted position that's just above the pedal.

It almost seems as though theres a retention spring or something along those lines thats either missing or has come out of position or something.

I've looked at the illustration(s) in my service manual and comparing that to what I can see under the hood, it all looks identical....nothing looks to be wrong but the lever with the roller just stays in the wrong position.

It's baffling.
Old May 24th, 2012, 05:25 AM

Are you sure the correct gas pedal is on there? Check for loose mounting bolts to firewall.
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:36 AM

Does your throttle assembly look like this?

There is a return spring on it but unless yours is really badly worn I don't understand how the lever arm doesn't stay behind the pedal. Is the assembly firmly attached to the firewall? There should be 3 bolts holding it.

I know this is a Delta so yours may have a different look altogether as my pictures are from a 66/67 A Body with AT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TA (1).jpg (44.0 KB, 17 views)
TA (2).jpg (48.2 KB, 16 views)
TA.jpg (50.4 KB, 16 views)
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Are you sure the correct gas pedal is on there? Check for loose mounting bolts to firewall.
Yes, the pedal and all linkages are original to the car.....the car was never altered in any way....she's a 90,000+ mi. survivor......babied by the 2 previous mature owners. Now it's in the hands of a codger.....who still babies it (unless some tuner punk in a ricer tries to get funny with me on a straight stretch of hi-way).
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
Does your throttle assembly look like this?

There is a return spring on it but unless yours is really badly worn I don't understand how the lever arm doesn't stay behind the pedal. Is the assembly firmly attached to the firewall? There should be 3 bolts holding it.

I know this is a Delta so yours may have a different look altogether as my pictures are from a 66/67 A Body with AT.
Yes, it's very similar. The springs and all linkages are original....the springs my be weak......I'll check them out along with the bolt tightness.
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:39 AM

It has to be something really simple......I'll have to do some friggin' with it and see what I can come up with (if anything)......if I can solve this, I'll be very happy.
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:27 AM

Accelerator Pedal

Problem solved...all is well.

The accelerator rod adjustment had been adjusted almost all the way out by the previous owner (who is quite short in stature).
Most likely done in order to bring the pedal closer to the sole of his shoe and not have to put a block or a spacer of some sort on the face of the pedal. He also had the seat mounting brackets bolted in the closest set of holes (in those brackets) to help with reducing the distance between his foot and the pedal.

He's about 5'3" and I'm 6'1" so you can see the difference.