General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

455 engine..what kinda carb??

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2012, 02:14 PM

455 engine..what kinda carb??

I have a 455 engine and I want to Get a edelbrock carb..I have an electric choke..does have any suggestions??
Old March 29th, 2012, 02:21 PM
NôôB

not an edelbrock but i use this one and i like it on my hurst
http://www.holley.com/0-80770.asp
Old March 29th, 2012, 02:47 PM

Thanks I'll check it out...I'd 750cfm decent for a455 engine?? I know I have an electric choke..Manuel so much cheaper!!
Old March 29th, 2012, 02:58 PM
NôôB

I have an 870 sitting on the shelf. If interested pm me
Old March 29th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by sicky olds
not an edelbrock but i use this one and i like it on my hurst
http://www.holley.com/0-80770.asp
Summit has this carrb for less.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-83770/

With a manual choke

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-81770/
Old March 30th, 2012, 06:49 AM

I am not a fan of the Edelbrock carbs. Seen them leak around the throttle plates. I like Holley products myself. If its a bone stock 455 you should be fine with ~650 CFM and if its been punched up a bit ~750 CFM. Also go with vacuum secondaries for street applications.
Old March 30th, 2012, 10:05 AM

I had an Ebrock carb. It was the biggest PITA ever. Always had a 1200 rpm stumble that I could not get rid of until I swapped carbs. I don't recommend one.
Old March 30th, 2012, 05:07 PM

You can get a rebuilt/remanufactured Quadrajet, stock or modified, built for your motor that'll get better MPG, and usually outperform any of the 'aftermarket carbs' out there!
It'll look stock,and bolt-up without ANY MODIFICATIONS!
All-in-all, cost about the same money, too!
Old March 30th, 2012, 06:23 PM

Quadrajet x2
Old March 31st, 2012, 08:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
Quadrajet x2
Qjet X3. If you want an electric choke, simply replace the hot air choke coil with an electric one from a mid-1980s Chevy pickup with Qjet. You can buy these coils brand new from any parts store. Remove the three screws and clips, replace the coil, wire it up, you're done.
Old March 31st, 2012, 01:05 PM

Q-jet X4, and ditto Joe on the choke.
Old March 31st, 2012, 05:33 PM

Do quadrajets differ much? I have one that's from a 1972 big block 455 but it was not a w-30 or anything special. should I rebuild the one I have or find another?
Old March 31st, 2012, 09:53 PM
One of None W-31

Replaced my Q-Jet with an Edelbrock 10 years ago and have never looked back. I have better performance and it is a no hassle carb.

There are other threads regarding carbs with a lot of Edelbrock support. Seems like each thread is different...some are mostly pro Edelbrock with the anti "Quadrabog" comment. Other threads claim Holley is for the "real" pro. Other threads, like this one, have a "Quadrajet X3" in them.

Different threads, different results...depends on the day

Last edited by 71 Cutlass; March 31st, 2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old April 1st, 2012, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by nj_cutlass72
Do quadrajets differ much? I have one that's from a 1972 big block 455 but it was not a w-30 or anything special. should I rebuild the one I have or find another?
Yes, and no.
The castings are the same until changing in 1975. The later ones have the larger venturis, referred to the 800 cfm units. Chev have side pointing inlet. Internally, they are set up for the proper application. Any quadrajet can be set up for what you are running it on. Jets, rods, bleeds, etc.

X5 on Quadrajet. Since you already have one, use your '72 carb, and do a rebuild. I prefer to start from scratch on a late model '77-'79 core.
Old April 1st, 2012, 10:22 AM
Geezer

Originally Posted by 71 Cutlass
Replaced my Q-Jet with an Edelbrock 10 years ago and have never looked back. I have better performance and it is a no hassle carb.

There are other threads regarding carbs with a lot of Edelbrock support. Seems like each thread is different...some are mostly pro Edelbrock with the anti "Quadrabog" comment. Other threads claim Holley is for the "real" pro. Other threads, like this one, have a "Quadrajet X3" in them.

Different threads, different results...depends on the day
Only problem is the Edelbrock you got ten years ago is not the same as the ones they sell today. Actually Edelbrock does not make what they are selling today. They are made by the same Fiat owned company in Italy that produces Webers and others and none were ever based upon the Rochester Q-Jet though appearing similar. Carter did produce Q-Jets under license by GM to do so, but the Carter Q-Jets were never cast with the same alloy used by Rochester as Rochester's were produced using a proprietary GM alloy. Edelbrock never acquired any of Carter's assets when Federal Mogul shut it down in 1985 as commonly thought.

Last edited by Texascarnut; April 1st, 2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old April 1st, 2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by MX442
Yes, and no.
The castings are the same until changing in 1975. The later ones have the larger venturis, referred to the 800 cfm units. Chev have side pointing inlet. Internally, they are set up for the proper application. Any quadrajet can be set up for what you are running it on. Jets, rods, bleeds, etc.

X5 on Quadrajet. Since you already have one, use your '72 carb, and do a rebuild. I prefer to start from scratch on a late model '77-'79 core.
kool - thx
Old April 1st, 2012, 07:50 PM
One of None W-31

Originally Posted by Texascarnut
Only problem is the Edelbrock you got ten years ago is not the same as the ones they sell today. Actually Edelbrock does not make what they are selling today. They are made by the same Fiat owned company in Italy that produces Webers and others and none were ever based upon the Rochester Q-Jet though appearing similar. Carter did produce Q-Jets under license by GM to do so, but the Carter Q-Jets were never cast with the same alloy used by Rochester as Rochester's were produced using a proprietary GM alloy. Edelbrock never acquired any of Carter's assets when Federal Mogul shut it down in 1985 as commonly thought.
Texascarnut,
I do not want to disagree with your post, mostly b/c I do not know EXACTLY where every part of an Edelbrock carb is made, but if Edelbrock claims "made in the USA", then they better be. If they are not, then I am not happy with their claim that they are. I will say that many with Edelbrock carbs bought recently still like them as much as I like mine from 10 years back, but it is disturbing to think false claims are being made regarding where these carbs are produced. Maybe I'm too idealistic, but I would like at least ONE company to be honest about their products, and have always liked the Edelbrock family and trusted them.

Anyway, hope this post is not viewed as an interuption, but viewed as a call to check out all carbs and how/where they are produced so that whatever carb any of us chooses, we can be assured that we are getting a quality product for our car.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:59 AM
One of None W-31

Originally Posted by Texascarnut
Edelbrock just told me that the carb I have IS made in the USA, and that new ones are the same as mine from 10 years back. The carbs are cast and assembled in North Carolina by Magneti Marelli. Magneti Marelli produces parts not only for Edelbrock, but for Ferrari, Porsche, and Mercedes as well. Magneti Marelli also produces parts for Formula One racing teams. Very top notch..glad I researched it.

Also, just for the record, other Carb companies such as Holley, also have their products cast by other companies. As both Edelbrock and Holley explained to me, they simply do not have the tooling to "do everything", but the carbs are cast and assembled here in the USA by both companies. Obviously performance is not affected in the production of these carbs.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 02:02 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by 71 Cutlass
Edelbrock just told me that the carb I have IS made in the USA, and that new ones are the same as mine from 10 years back. The carbs are cast and assembled in North Carolina by Magneti Marelli. Magneti Marelli produces parts not only for Edelbrock, but for Ferrari, Porsche, and Mercedes as well. Magneti Marelli also produces parts for Formula One racing teams. Very top notch..glad I researched it.

Also, just for the record, other Carb companies such as Holley, also have their products cast by other companies. As both Edelbrock and Holley explained to me, they simply do not have the tooling to "do everything", but the carbs are cast and assembled here in the USA by both companies. Obviously performance is not affected in the production of these carbs.
Whomever at Edelbrock told you that, as well as whomever does their web site needs to read Up on Magneti Marelli Powertrain, U.S.A., which is located in both Sanford, North Carolina and Farmington Hills, Michigan. Magneti Marelli Performance, U.S.A, has no foundry operations in the United States period. All Carburetors Magneti Marelli produces, regardless of the brand name it or what name carburetor brand name may ultimately be associated with them are cast in Spain, partially assembled here maybe, or maybe just boxed up here. It truly doesn't matter, beyond the point that Edelbrock does not manufacture the carburetors they sell. They do however cast intake manifolds in their own foundry.

You can be as enamored to Edelbrock carbs all you want, I frankly don't care. And guess what, I'm also aware that some, maybe all, Holley carbs are cast in South America. One thing is for fact, with an ever declining market for automotive carburetors it won't be too many years until no one is manufacturing carburetors for automobile engines anywhere on the planet, so better get them now, along with whatever common parts needed to keep them in working order.

Ist clue on this is both Edelbrock and Holley (Borg-Warner) to stay in the fuel delivery business have fuel injection conversion products. The hand writing is on the wall!
Old April 2nd, 2012, 07:54 PM
One of None W-31

Well, this thread has gotten a little too conspiratorial for me. Both Edelbrock and Holley claim that their carbs are cast and assembled here in the USA and they told me where. Without any proof to the contrary, there's is nothing else to do but believe what they publically state under penalty of law. I'll leave it to others who are enamored with conspiracies and chasing Martians to say it's all collusion.

Finally, and most important of all, nothing in this discussion has any effect on the performance car enthusiats have enjoyed from these carbs over the years and are currently enjoying accross the race tracks and open roads of our country. And it's all about performance.

Last edited by 71 Cutlass; April 3rd, 2012 at 06:24 AM.