General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Whine/Buzz when turning key (coming from key area) after starter replacement...

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2011, 05:29 PM

Whine/Buzz when turning key (coming from key area) after starter replacement...

Hey,

I have an 86 Caprice Classic Wagon (307) and I just replaced the starter, now there is a noise coming from the key or dash area (not the engine) when I turn the key (car DOES start).

Anyway I remember reading something awhile ago about there being a warning system when they key is inserted or turned, if some components in your starter are either too far apart of too close, and that the warning sound was a sort of whine/buzz sound either when you turn the key, or after inserting the key (before turning it). And that when the sound occured would depend on whether the components were either too close or far apart.

In any event, it is happening, and it definetly wasn't there before. My friend thought it sounded like the "key alarm" like when you leave your key in the ignition and leave the door open on some older model cars, but this is not the case because that is a different sound on my car.

Also, sometimes the starter seems to crank it slowly like as if the battery is dieing (battery is fine) or the starter is starting to go, but other times it cranks fine like a new (rebuilt) starter should.

I'm pretty sure there is something going on in the starter that is not supposed to and this low sounding buzz/whine noise is trying to tell me that.

Any insights or suggestions would be helpful, thanks!
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Who did the work?
Was it the correct starter? Are the connections tight and clean? I've never heard of this happening by just replacing a starter. I've changed a few; some were awkward as hell to get at, but as long as you keep it clean and tight it should be fine. If it wasn't doing the noise thing before you had the starter changed, I would suspect the starter.
Old July 5th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wow. I can't imagine what that could be.

Record it with your phone and post the sound file.

- Eric