General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Wipers and Windows Won't only Work on Acc

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2010, 05:07 PM

Wipers and Windows Won't only Work on Acc

Hello everyone I am new here and you guessed it, have a question. I have a 69 98 convertible. Everything works good, except the power windows and the windshield wipers only will work when the switch is in accessory. None of this will work in the run position. Would this be the switch or something else? Please help!

Last edited by jlelec; September 14th, 2010 at 05:07 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old September 14th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Past Administrator

The power windows probably have a blown fuse in the circuit, check your manual and the fuse block, identify the correct fuse and replace it if it is blown. It might blow again which means whatever caused it to blow is still damaged, but if you are lucky perhaps someone left a window down in a rain storm and a switch or motor got wet and caused the fuse to blow without actually damaging the switch or motor. It sounds like the ignition switch may be causing your other trouble with the wipers, they are supposed to work in the run position (of course). Welcome to CO.
Old September 14th, 2010, 06:40 PM

I'm a little confused by your answer, Oldsguy. He says that the windows DO work if the key is in the ACC position. At least that's the way I took the wording of his post. That would suggest that the fuse is fine, since they're obviously getting power. He has the same problem with both the wipers and the windows. Both work in ACC but not in ON. It sounds to me like a problem in the ignition switch?

Of course, this would suggest that other things that operate similarly, like the radio, ought to work only in ACC and not in ON. Is that true?

I have another question. In my experience, power windows, by design, do NOT work when the key is in the ACC position and only work when the key is ON. This has been true, at least for any car I've driven, for the last few decades at least, including in my '09 Nissan and my '02 Dodge truck. They only work when the ignition switch is ON. Mr. jlelec, are you sure the power windows are supposed to work with the key in ACC? If not, and they do, it's possible that your power windows are miswired.

Follow-up: I just now went down into the garage and looked in the owner's manual for my '67 Delta 88. In the section on the power windows, it says specifically that they only work when the key is ON. My car doesn't have power windows, or I'd check this. But nonetheless, I think that if your car's windows DO work in the ACC position, you have a wiring problem.

The wipers, on the other hand, ARE supposed to work in both positions. I checked that on my car (as it does actually have windshield wipers!), and it's true.

Last edited by jaunty75; September 14th, 2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old September 14th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Oldsdruid

OK- does the radio also do this? I ask because the power accessory feed, the radio and the wipers all feed off the ACC 1 terminal on the ignition switch, along with the voltage regulator field relay and indicator lamp. What is the GEN indicator light doing?

I think you have either a bad ignition switch or a bad voltage regulator.

Different years do different things with power windows. Some years work only in ON, others in ON or ACC, others like my Toronado work without the key at all. The 69 CSM wiring diagram shows the Ninety Eight's PW should work in ON or ACC.
Old September 14th, 2010, 10:58 PM

Thanks everyone for the answers, I think I am going to do some wire tracing and try an ignition switch. The car has been sitting up in a barn for a couple of years, so it could be a rodent issue under the dash. I do think the gen light does do something strange at times. I have big plans for the old car, everything runs and works good except the windows and wipers. Thanks all!
Old September 15th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I'm a little confused by your answer, Oldsguy. He says that the windows DO work if the key is in the ACC position. At least that's the way I took the wording of his post. That would suggest that the fuse is fine, since they're obviously getting power. He has the same problem with both the wipers and the windows. Both work in ACC but not in ON. It sounds to me like a problem in the ignition switch?...
Yes, I misunderstood and was thinking the windows did not work but other accessories did and was making my statements to that effect.
Old July 5th, 2014, 10:28 PM

i had the same problem turned out when starting the engine the barrel was getting stuck between ignition and on if you turn it back to on without going to far and switching the engine off everything work i used some crc to fix this crc is a fin lube spray straight into the key hole just thaught i would reply for fyi