General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Electric pump

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2019, 10:43 AM

Electric pump

Hello, I am new here. I don't know if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything. I am hoping to find opinions on a 1969 442, without power steering. I know some cars like Volvo have an electric pump for the power steering. Do you think something like this could be adapted to the 442 to convert to power steering. That way I wouldn't have to make changes to run the pump off the engine. It could be mounted to the firewall or fender well. Just a thought. Thanks
Old April 12th, 2019, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Or... You can install a stock replacement system to go with a stock steering box.
Old April 12th, 2019, 02:49 PM

Thanks. I was planning on using a stock steering box. Just the electric pump to replace the belt driven one. It might be a bit to get the hoses and fittings correct. I guess I need to see if the out put of the 2 systems are close.It was just an idea I was thinking of.
Old April 12th, 2019, 04:50 PM
Old(s) Fart

Stock power steering pumps and brackets for this car are very easy to find. Why are you set on inventing something new with an electric pump? Installing the factory hardware will be cheaper and MUCH more reliable. Keep in mind that any new car with an electric pump will almost certainly have a rack and pinion steering system. You have no idea if the electric pump pressure and flow rates are even in the same universe as what the Olds Saginaw steering box requires.
Old April 13th, 2019, 05:28 AM

Thanks for that. I am sure I will end up using standard equipment. The other was just an idea and wondering if it was doable.
Old April 13th, 2019, 06:14 AM

Welcome Fazer, On your car I would also go with a factory setup, but as a interesting topic, I see now that someone offers a electric power steering setup that is part of the steering column. I think this would be more for custom sleds or rods?? I would like to see how it works.
Old April 13th, 2019, 07:56 AM
Administrator

To answer your initial question, here is one option.
https://www.jegs.com/i/EPAS-Performa.../2011/10002/-1
Old April 13th, 2019, 08:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
To answer your initial question, here is one option.
https://www.jegs.com/i/EPAS-Performa.../2011/10002/-1
The initial question was about an electric PUMP to run a hydraulically-assisted power steering system. That EPAS system uses an electric motor to assist the steering directly - there are no hydraulics involved. It cannot be used with the stock Saginaw PS box, which is what the OP asked about. And, it's ONLY $1500.

A bargain at half the price...