General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

77 442 Frame stiffeners?? Frame support bars??

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2019, 05:20 PM

Exclamation 77 442 Frame stiffeners?? Frame support bars??

I hope i am posting this question in the right place and yes i did search all over the forums for my answer before making a new post but i could have overlooked it somewhere.

Ok so I have a stock 77 olds 442, has the 403- any way I bought some flow tech headers because im on a tight budget and I didn't figure out that they had sent me the wrong headers until i beat the hell out of the left side to make it fit but thats not the issue im having with them, during installation i had to unbolt 2 bars that where roughly about one and a half foot long from the frame that stretched to the frame under the engine on each side of the car and iv looked allover the INTERNET for what those bars are and cant find anything at all. so my question is what are they actually called and what do they actually do, the reason i ask is because i cant put them back on due to the headers being in the way and i need to know if i should buy new headers that allow for those frame stiffeners to be installed?

Last edited by BioGear; March 11th, 2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old March 12th, 2019, 01:07 AM

Removing those cross-bars is mandatory when installing long-tubes, and yes, they wont fit back with them. People just leave them out, so no worries there.

Second thing, the fitment issue. They didnt send you wrong. Search through whole internet, and theres no single long-tubes fitting off-the-shelf to 73-77 A-body with Olds engine. Thats just what it is.

Just enjoy your ride, its fine.
Old March 12th, 2019, 06:17 PM

Header trouble

Originally Posted by Inline
Removing those cross-bars is mandatory when installing long-tubes, and yes, they wont fit back with them. People just leave them out, so no worries there.

Second thing, the fitment issue. They didnt send you wrong. Search through whole internet, and theres no single long-tubes fitting off-the-shelf to 73-77 A-body with Olds engine. Thats just what it is.

Thank you!!! and ok, I did notice there are 2 different sets of these headers with the same part number but when i questioned the seller he said they where the same headers that the picture was taken at a different angle and he is kinda right but i dont believe him because there is a weld on the third tube close to the top so they can install different length tube in the same place ill show you what i mean and you tell me what you think. I figure they added that weld joint so they could use the same header template and make 2 different sets of headers for different year model cars. Perhaps one set fits the fire bird and the other set was supposed to fit the Oldsmobile?

Old March 12th, 2019, 06:35 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by Inline

X2 ,good to hear you got them in OK
I would also suggest spending a little more on a set of Remflex graphite gaskets, you will regret installing those headers without them.

Eric
Old March 13th, 2019, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by 76olds
X2 ,good to hear you got them in OK
I would also suggest spending a little more on a set of Remflex graphite gaskets, you will regret installing those headers without them.

Eric
I already found that out lol, iv got to ride around utile Friday with an exhaust leak. I didnt buy the remflex graphite gaskets, I got the copper maxx ones because i did some reading up on the Remflex on some other forums and found them to be lacking in durability, People where saying they will work great for a few months and then crumble so i decided to go with the copper ones that wouldn't burn out.
Old March 13th, 2019, 10:06 AM
Hookers under Hood

Those headers are a bugger to get a good seal for any length of time.
Remflex gaskets have come a long way since 2008. Most issues were found on the import stuff in which Remflex made the necessary changes to remedy them.
I've had my Remflex gaskets on my 76 Olds since 2014 with no issues.
I know other members are running the Remflex Gaskets as well and really like them.
Hope the Copper Maxx work out well with the Flow tech headers.
Keep us updated on them in the future if you don't mind.

Eric
Old March 13th, 2019, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by BioGear
I already found that out lol, iv got to ride around utile Friday with an exhaust leak. I didnt buy the remflex graphite gaskets, I got the copper maxx ones because i did some reading up on the Remflex on some other forums and found them to be lacking in durability, People where saying they will work great for a few months and then crumble so i decided to go with the copper ones that wouldn't burn out.
I have the copper gaskets also but I apply a thin bead of "Hi Temp silicone gasket" where it makes contact on both sides of the ports. Never had an exhaust leak.
Old March 27th, 2019, 09:38 PM

Gaskets

Thornton makes a great header gasket as well,sealed up great. No leaks or header bolts working loose