General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Backing plates

Old March 9th, 2019, 02:15 PM

Backing plates

I have been organizing every part that needs blasting and refinishing. I have my original front end pcs (1970 442) and everything on spindles is rusty. The backing plates are really rusty and was wondering if new reproductions are any different or fit well? Has anybody had any experience?
Since they are so rusty it looks like they may have been natural finish? can anybody verify this along with caliper brackets and other front end pcs like linkage (center link, tie rods and sleeves? Ive seen some different colors in restorations.
How about the rear backing plates, what color or finish were they?
I may have come across a post in the past that states color or finish of various parts (brackets, nuts, bolts) any info appreciated.

Last edited by scrappie; March 9th, 2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old March 9th, 2019, 02:33 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have a set of repro backing plates for the front if you need them.
Old March 9th, 2019, 03:21 PM

The nasty rust will blast right off. If the parts are not badly pitted, you can re-use them.
Old March 9th, 2019, 07:55 PM

Yes, the rust will blast off but you will have some pitting as it looks like fairly heavy rust.

The caliper dust shields WILL have some serious pitting judging from the pic and I would expect the caliper mount brackets to be close to the same result.

Front disc dust shields (repro) are a clear zinc finish (ie -bright silver). Don't know about the fit but they appear to be fairly accurate and I've never heard any complaints about them. That is considered the correct finish for a resto even though the orginals were galvanized zinc.

Front caliper mounting brackets were/are yellow zinc (or cad)...gold finish. I've dealt with one set of these that were repros from The Parts Place and they scraped the inside of the wheel. Have read plenty of times about others having the same problem. You can grind off the offending corner (not a lot of grinding) but nicer originals would be the best option and then you wouldn't have to worry about some other problem on the repros. Finding some nice replating candidates may take some time but that's part of this game.
Old March 10th, 2019, 05:36 AM

The repro dust shield may not have Delco Moraine stamped on them? Also the R and L along with the part number may not be on there. I would blast all the rust off and see what you have. Eastwood sales paint that mimics the correct finishes. It really depends on what you want to do with the car. Drive and enjoy you may want to reuse your original parts? Show the car, look for all good original good parts.
Old March 10th, 2019, 05:55 AM

Thanks for info guys. Im gonna blast everything and see what it looks like? Just so I know, "backing plates" and "dust shields" are one in the same correct?
I plan on driving and showing, life is too short.
Can you guys shed any light on the correct colors and finishes of the other parts I mentioned? I dont recall seeing any original rear end backing plates that weren't black?
Old March 10th, 2019, 08:15 AM

The rear brakes attach to backing plates. The dust shields keep the crap off the inside of the front rotors.