General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

68 442 vert body mount kits

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2019, 10:48 PM

68 442 vert body mount kits

I am putting a 1968 442 convertible back together after being apart for about 5 years. I am at the point of putting a body back down on the frame and am trying to figure out who's kit to use and the exact locations of the different mounts. The inline tube kit I have for this car come with a sheet of paper that isn't all that clear. The assembly manual has one page on it (sec 2 pg 110) which doesn't clarify much. The aftermarket kit is labeled Chevelle convertible though it should be the same for 442.
There are 4 smaller diameter bushing sets that go behind the rear axle locations. 4 slightly larger diameter sets, 2 large diameter sets, and 6 rubber dummy pucks. The paperwork that came with it also shows bolts in the locations along the side of the car but doesn't supply enough hardware. In the catalog they also make mention of the convertibles using 2 mounts per side at the cowl location but don't supply them or the longer hardware they require. I have pics of the car before disassembly and there were only 1 mount per side and the body and frame not showing any evidence that they were ever there. I am thinking that the largest diameter 2 bushingswith bolts go up front at the firewall, 2 medium diameter bushings with bolts go under the middle of the siderail, 2 dummy pucks in front of the rear wheels, 2 more dummy pucks on the frame crossover under the back seat, and finally 4 smaller diameter bushings with bolts on the rear framerails under the trunk?
Old March 9th, 2019, 04:53 PM
Gary

This is what I did with the body mounts bushings. I also purchased them from In Line Tube.

Last edited by Gary's 2 442-S; March 9th, 2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old March 9th, 2019, 05:17 PM

What part # did you use? What is the paint you used on them, it looks pretty good. It looks the mount under the firewall is the same diameter as the other two on the same side. I got two that were a larger diameter for under the firewall but the others are noticeably smaller in diameter.
Old March 9th, 2019, 06:08 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by montvaleplace
What part # did you use? What is the paint you used on them, it looks pretty good. It looks the mount under the firewall is the same diameter as the other two on the same side. I got two that were a larger diameter for under the firewall but the others are noticeably smaller in diameter.
The kit I used was INL12473. Those mounting instructions in my opinion are totally useless. The paint I used is by Valspar called Color Radiance (Satin). I bought it from Lowes. I bought my kit back in 2015 and there was no difference in the size of the the mount. I also used Part # 12819 for the core support. If you decide to paint those bushings you are going to have to use some sand paper on them so the paint will stick.