General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Body mounts

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2019, 05:54 PM

Body mounts

• I was wondering how many body mounts there are on a '65 Cutlass convertible vs a four door hardtop, coupe, etc.? Thanks in advance.
-RW
Old January 28th, 2019, 01:56 AM
Hookers under Hood

Someone with a service manual will probably chime in. I would think 7 per side. 1 up at the rad cradle, 1 before the front tire, 1 behind , 1 in front of the rear tire , 1 behind, 1 ahead of the rear bumper and 1 on the top of the hump going over the rear tires. For a total of 14.
Just a guess.

Eric
Old March 3rd, 2019, 05:20 PM

GM was pretty goofy about body mount applications. When I did my '68 El Camino, I found places for additional bolt-in-place mounts that weren't being used--so I shoved extra mounts and hardware in those locations.

My vehicle was a real rust-bucket with some frame damage in addition--but--if I was doing this again, I'd be looking into using the double body mounts at the cowl like the convertibles often do. I think the frame would accept the double mounts, but the body needed some extra sheet metal I'd have to scavenge from a convertible to make it work.

Good luck. That job "can" be a real bitch. Mine was. Other guys breeze through it like nothing.

https://www.chevelles.com/techref/body_bushings.html
Old March 4th, 2019, 06:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 76olds
Someone with a service manual will probably chime in. I would think 7 per side. 1 up at the rad cradle, 1 before the front tire, 1 behind , 1 in front of the rear tire , 1 behind, 1 ahead of the rear bumper and 1 on the top of the hump going over the rear tires. For a total of 14.
Just a guess.

Eric
Close, but not correct. There are seven per side, NOT counting the core support. There are two per side under the firewall boxes, two under the rockers, one over the rear axle hump, and two under the trunk. Of these, positions four and five are just pads, they are not bolted to the body. Page 15-107 in the Chassis Service Manual.

Originally Posted by Schurkey
GM was pretty goofy about body mount applications.
No, they weren't. The body mounts were tuned specifically to meet NVH requirements. Also keep in mind that the frame rail stampings were typically used for multiple body styles, and the additional holes may or may not correspond to what was needed for a different body style.