Retractable antenna - ClassicOldsmobile.com

General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Retractable antenna

Old January 8th, 2019, 11:45 AM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 100
Retractable antenna







My antenna was off when I bought my car. I bought a new collapsible mast. However I canít seem to get all the parts in the right sequence to thread it all on. I have a mixed bag of antenna parts from other year Oldsmobileís so for all I know I could be using the wrong parts. It also looks like the part underneath the fender should be tighter to the bottom side of the fender
NotDads442 is offline  
Old January 8th, 2019, 01:09 PM
  #2  
Randy C.
 
rcorrigan5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 2,521
Maybe this pic will help.

Randy C.

rcorrigan5 is offline  
Old January 8th, 2019, 01:21 PM
  #3  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 100
Sorry mine is a 67 and was completely different on the firewall
NotDads442 is offline  
Old January 8th, 2019, 10:05 PM
  #4  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Red Oak, Texas
Posts: 1,498
Originally Posted by NotDads442 View Post
Sorry mine is a 67 and was completely different on the firewall
67 power antenna was not on the front, it was in the trunk. The 67 standard antenna was on the passenger fender.
edzolz is offline  
Old January 8th, 2019, 10:09 PM
  #5  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 100
Not power. Just telescoping. Sorry poor choice of words
NotDads442 is offline  
Old January 9th, 2019, 06:13 AM
  #6  
Registered User
 
Koda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 4,005
I believe nut on the base holds it down, and tilted washer keeps it level, and nut on top keeps it up.

So, bottom nut, sheet metal, top washer, top nut, I think. That top black nut ends up on the top of those threads of the socket
Koda is offline  
Old January 9th, 2019, 09:02 PM
  #7  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 100
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
I believe nut on the base holds it down, and tilted washer keeps it level, and nut on top keeps it up.

So, bottom nut, sheet metal, top washer, top nut, I think. That top black nut ends up on the top of those threads of the socket
does that grommet I have on the fender look like the correct part?
NotDads442 is offline  
Old January 10th, 2019, 08:12 PM
  #8  
Registered User
 
Koda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 4,005
Yes.
Koda is offline  
Old January 11th, 2019, 07:58 PM
  #9  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 100
Any idea why the threaded shaft isnít protruding far e enough to get the black piece on?
NotDads442 is offline  
Old January 12th, 2019, 09:55 AM
  #10  
Randy C.
 
rcorrigan5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 2,521
The piece in your picture, identified as the "lower spacer" in the '69 assembly manual, should be up against the bottom side of the fender and the held on top by the upper spacer and nut. That would give you enough thread to install the black plastic piece (cap nut).

Randy C.
rcorrigan5 is offline  
Old January 12th, 2019, 09:19 PM
  #11  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 100
Originally Posted by rcorrigan5 View Post
The piece in your picture, identified as the "lower spacer" in the '69 assembly manual, should be up against the bottom side of the fender and the held on top by the upper spacer and nut. That would give you enough thread to install the black plastic piece (cap nut).

Randy C.
so my fender needs to come off? That chrome and rubber piece goes underneath the fender?? Having trouble grasping this.
NotDads442 is offline  
Old January 15th, 2019, 04:39 PM
  #12  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 100

Not protruding enough. Nut is very tight
NotDads442 is offline  
Old January 15th, 2019, 04:49 PM
  #13  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 100
I am a long way off from getting the threaded cap on
NotDads442 is offline  
Old January 15th, 2019, 07:02 PM
  #14  
Randy C.
 
rcorrigan5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 2,521
The lower spacer in your first set of pictures is not hard up against the bottom side of your fender. It needs to be snugged up so it is against the bottom side. That will give you lots of thread on top to install the gasket, upper spacer and nut, and leave ample threads for the plastic nut cap.

I have a funny feeling that perhaps the antenna you have wasn't made for your year of car? Or did this exact antenna come off of your car and you are now re-installing it? The fender should not have to come off to install the antenna.
rcorrigan5 is offline  
Old January 15th, 2019, 07:55 PM
  #15  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 100
Originally Posted by rcorrigan5 View Post
The lower spacer in your first set of pictures is not hard up against the bottom side of your fender. It needs to be snugged up so it is against the bottom side. That will give you lots of thread on top to install the gasket, upper spacer and nut, and leave ample threads for the plastic nut cap.

I have a funny feeling that perhaps the antenna you have wasn't made for your year of car? Or did this exact antenna come off of your car and you are now re-installing it? The fender should not have to come off to install the antenna.
After putting on the grommet and chrome piece I set that jam nut on there and was able to suck the serrated piece seen in my first pictures up against the bottom of the fender. That antenna was in the trunk when I bought it.
NotDads442 is offline  
Old January 15th, 2019, 07:57 PM
  #16  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 100
Originally Posted by rcorrigan5 View Post
The lower spacer in your first set of pictures is not hard up against the bottom side of your fender. It needs to be snugged up so it is against the bottom side. That will give you lots of thread on top to install the gasket, upper spacer and nut, and leave ample threads for the plastic nut cap.

I have a funny feeling that perhaps the antenna you have wasn't made for your year of car? Or did this exact antenna come off of your car and you are now re-installing it? The fender should not have to come off to install the antenna.
Also the threads in the fender were almost flush with the fender. I wonder if it got cut or something.
NotDads442 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
indy500
Electrical
2
November 25th, 2018 07:11 AM
Aceshigh
Interior/Upholstery
26
June 21st, 2016 06:28 AM
curtis mayfield
Parts Wanted
4
July 26th, 2013 09:26 AM
RonFX
Parts Wanted
0
January 20th, 2013 04:16 PM
JoshF85
Parts Wanted
0
May 25th, 2005 09:14 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Retractable antenna


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.