General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Old Gas Tank/line '70 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2018, 04:23 PM

Old Gas Tank/line '70 Cutlass

Hi All,

On to my next step on my restoration. Car has been sitting at least 12 years. Motor runs but was done by pouring gas into the top of the carb so as to not get the old gas from the tank in the carb.

I'm sure that the gas tank is all gunked up as well as the fuel lines to the carb. Debating on just replacing the tank and possible the lines or trying to cleanup the tank and reuse it and the lines.

Any recomendation on the best way to clean up a gas tank and lines that has been sitting for 12+ years is appreciated.

Would I be better off getting a replacement tank or should the old gas/gunk clean up fairly easily?

Any other tips on restoring a fuel system?

thanks,

Pat
Old December 4th, 2018, 05:43 PM
The Rocket Astronomer

I have mine flushed at a radiator shop if not too rusty inside. They will have to drill a hole in the side and weld it up later. but it works for me.

Change the sending unit sock filter and the seal.
Old December 5th, 2018, 05:03 PM

I just picked up a new tank for $130 on Amazon, and a replacement fuel line for $65... Could be worth your while to buy new and start fresh.
Old December 5th, 2018, 05:13 PM

thanks....that is kinda what I was thinking also. If I can get them for that price then trying to cleanup old gunky fuel system isn't worth the trouble.

Have you installed the new tank and line yet? If so, any issues with it fitting properly?

Pat

Last edited by jpatfarrell; December 5th, 2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old December 5th, 2018, 07:52 PM

I recently brought back to life a '78 Toronado that had been sitting for longer than your car, 14 years, since it had last run. I did not have any gunky fuel or fuel line issues at all. I replaced the gas tank because it had rusted and was thin in places, the sending unit, and the rubber lines at both ends because they were dry and cracked. But I did not touch the steel lines that run the length of the car. There were no issues with those. I put a new fuel pump in as well, and once everything was back together, the engine started and ran fine as far as fuel delivery goes.

The steel lines that run the length of the car are difficult, if not impossible, to replace, at least in the original locations, because they were installed at the factory before the body was on the car. You can certainly reroute them, but then you're bending new lines all the way along.

I wouldn't make more work for myself than necessary. Unless you know for certain that the steel lines must be replaced, I'd just do what I did. Replace the tank if it can't be salvaged, the sending unit, and the rubber lines. The steel lines will get cleaned out just from the fresh gas running through them as the engine runs. The car may very well run fine after this, and, if it doesn't and you know it's due to clogged steel lines, you can proceed to replace those as well.
Old December 6th, 2018, 04:05 AM

If possible consider stainless steel as an option, resist rust better than steel. Also doesn't absorb heat as rapidly as steel. Not sure if they sell the tank anywhere in stainless. The use of ethanol in fuel seems to be a concern for fuel system corrosion, rubber and steel. The problem is enhanced if the vehicle is stored for long periods of time. 15% ethanol gas is not to be used in vehicles before 2001 because of it's corrosive properties. Lots of articles on the subject. I've seen first hand the effects of ethanol fuel eroding carburetor casting. Good luck.
https://theshopmag.com/features/etha...es-carburetors
Old December 6th, 2018, 05:49 AM

THis makes sense....thanks

Pat
Old December 6th, 2018, 06:01 AM

I renewed both, lines and tank in a 72CS.. For me function is more important then originality.
I used (not sure about the english word) flexible stainless steel fuel lines, routing them was a piece of cake, took 20 mins.
Tank was a Spectra, fits perfect in our car.

Edit: PS: Changed to a electric fuel pump which is located in front of the tank at the same time.
Old December 6th, 2018, 08:35 AM

Use this to restore your fuel tank:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/poi-49239/overview/