General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

72 Cutlass replace front speaker

Old November 19th, 2018, 06:40 PM

72 Cutlass replace front speaker

I am new to the forum and to owning an Olds. Ask me about a Corvette and I can tell you. My question is can you change the front speaker through the glove box? I f not, how? Also wondering about the easiest way to change bulbs in the dash such as speedo and clock area, Thanks
Old November 20th, 2018, 05:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

You have to remove the radio to reach the speaker. If the car has A/C that means removing the A/C ducting also. The individual gauge pods come out the front of the dash after you remove the woodgrain panel. I strongly suggest that you invest in an original Chassis Service Manual, which has all the repair info you apparently need. Don't waste your money on a PDF version, get an original.
Old November 20th, 2018, 07:23 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by oaibob
I am new to the forum and to owning an Olds. Ask me about a Corvette and I can tell you. My question is can you change the front speaker through the glove box? I f not, how? Also wondering about the easiest way to change bulbs in the dash such as speedo and clock area, Thanks
As Joe stated, DO NOT get the PDF - purchase the paper manual. They are of the original Service Department OLDSMOBILE DIVISION, GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION, LANSING, MICHIGAN. They include the wiring diagrams, as well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-19...-/232590797109
My 71' CS Convertible has AC and I just removed the old OEM radio and both front & rear speaker & installed a new AM/FM Stereo with custom Memphis speakers (x2 front, x2 rear). Tricky, but I got it done - fronts in the kick panels and rears in the arm rests.

While you have the dash panel removed and working under & behind the dash, it's a good time to address any wiring issues/updates, heating duct work, etc.
Old April 15th, 2019, 08:09 PM

QQ on the middle speaker, i am trying to remove the speaker (after removing the screws) and it's not budging. should i use a tool to get under the insulation to weaken the seal? dont want to bend or break any of the dashboard speaker grills.

Thanks,
Ed