General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

70 Motor Mount - Not The Usual One

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2018, 06:24 PM

70 Motor Mount - Not The Usual One

I have read Joe P.'s excellent thread about the subject of A body motor and body mount combinations. My issue is a bit more complicated:

1) Car is a 1970 442 - was running when I got it
2) Car is (still) 455 equipped
3) Car has been "restored" before
4) Car has been completely diassembled for a resto
5) The car, after engine being removed had some frame straightening work done
6) I threw the motor mounts that were on the car in the trash at diassembly
7) The frame mounts that were in the car, that I cleaned and reinstalled, are the SBO ones. (I did not recognize them as such)
8)I installed the 2328's on the engine - not knowing the frame mounts are wrong for this car

So today
1) I tried to install the engine/trans in the car
2) Much cursing ensued
3) A few things were thrown
4) Some more cursing occurred

Bottom line, again, per Joe P.'s guide, if I was to install 2261 motor mounts on the engine I know the motor mount bolt would go through the mount and pad, but would everything work OK? Will the installed engine height be wrong and cause problems? (I.e. fan shroud clearance, OAI adaptor to hood clearance?) I Hope I didn't miss that part of the thread and get flamed, but at this point I don't care, flame away, just let me know if it will work. Thanks.

Old November 1st, 2018, 06:38 PM

If the car has small block frame mounts, then, you need mount P/N 2261. And your shouldn't have any issues.
Old November 2nd, 2018, 08:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by costpenn
Bottom line, again, per Joe P.'s guide, if I was to install 2261 motor mounts on the engine I know the motor mount bolt would go through the mount and pad, but would everything work OK? Will the installed engine height be wrong and cause problems? (I.e. fan shroud clearance, OAI adaptor to hood clearance?) I Hope I didn't miss that part of the thread and get flamed, but at this point I don't care, flame away, just let me know if it will work. Thanks.
Yes, 2261 mounts with those frame mounts put the crank centerline in exactly the same place as would 2328s with the other frame mounts. There is no difference in engine location. The only issue is that your configuration won't be "optically correct" for a 1970 442. It will be fine functionally.
Old November 3rd, 2018, 06:50 AM

Thank you Joe and Joe - From Joe!

It turns out the frame pad mounts that were on the car were the Type 1 64-69 version. I got a set of 2261's from O'Reilly's and they fit perfectly.

Incidentally, those mounts I bought were much better in appearance and construction than the usual Chinesium stuff you get from the big box retailers. Maybe a new supplier has been found because these had the metal "frame" the same thickness as an OE one I had, the rubber is not super shiny, etc..