General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Front end rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2018, 08:42 PM

Front end rebuild.

Good evening all !
While I was at the OCA Oldsmobile Nationals in Gettysburg, I picked up a disc brake conversion set up. This was in preparation of doing my front end rebuild. This is much needed since the bushings haven't been done since I have had my 72 Cutlass since 1998 and have never done it. And to be honest I'm not sure if my Father ever did either since I have none of the service records from the time he had it up in Maine 1980/1998. I have been recommended P-S-T ( Performance Suspension Technologies ) as one company to look at. Their master rebuild kit runs $349.00 for OEM rubber bushings. I did consider their Polygraphite bushing but have decided to stay stock since I don't race or Rally race the car. Just general driving to weekend shows. Does anyone have any other suppliers of front end rebuild kits that they have had good experience with ? I have found other similar kits on Ebay through a company called AR Performance. Apples for Apples kit at $269.00 but they are out of Utah. P-S-T is out of N.J. which is nice since I'm in PA. I welcome any recommendations.
Have a good night my Oldsmobros !
Old August 17th, 2018, 05:13 AM

FWIW, I used PST's polygraphite kit back in the late '80s when I re-did my front end. I've not needed to perform an alignment since then.
Old August 17th, 2018, 05:45 AM

I would not recommend poly bushings for a driver. I put them on my convertible and also a 65 Dodge back in the nineties. They both squeaked and squawked, even after using the lube that comes with them when installing. I used the oem style bushings on my Vista Cruiser and they are good. I bought Moog parts thru Rock Auto and it was a lot cheaper also. That's what I would do.
Old August 17th, 2018, 07:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

I don't know what quality parts are in those kits, but I just priced out all the individual parts for a complete rebuild of the suspension and steering on your car using Moog parts from RockAuto - $357. Note that the RA price includes the sway bar bushings and end links, which are apparently not included in the $349 P-S-T kit. I use Moog exclusively.