General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

A/C Hose detailing

Old July 23rd, 2018, 05:59 PM

A/C Hose detailing

Hi all Ragtopblue here again with a question for all my Olds Peeps out there that have factory air in their cars. Detailing the engine bay for the OCA Nats next week. One of the things I am doing is replacing the insulating sleeves over the Heater box to Compressor hoses. I was able to find an almost exact foam insulation slide over material at my local plumbing store. So here is the first of my two questions for those with a properly restored AC system. Should the insulation sleeve stop at the metal to rubber housing, or how far off the metal fitting should it terminate. And the second question is in regards to the bolted plate that holds the hose fittings to the back of the compressor. What color should that plate be? I had previously painted it black to match the compressor. Should it be black or just be straight metal with a clearcoat over it. Input and photos would be greatly welcomed !

AC Hose with new insulating sleeve.

Last edited by ragtopblue; July 23rd, 2018 at 06:23 PM. Reason: additional info
Old July 23rd, 2018, 08:21 PM

I believe the plate was painted black...that's what I recall seeing and having on AC cars here. Probably was in place when they painted the overall compressor.

The foam sleeves stop well short of the metal crimped ends....I'll check an original.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 09:24 PM

AC Reply

Originally Posted by 70Post
I believe the plate was painted black...that's what I recall seeing and having on AC cars here. Probably was in place when they painted the overall compressor.

The foam sleeves stop well short of the metal crimped ends....I'll check an original.
70 Post,
Thank you, I thought that the plate was painted black. And I thought the sleeves stopped short of the hose fittings. If I remember by about 3 to 4 inches. much appreciated !
Old July 23rd, 2018, 09:51 PM

I've been trying to find where on my old resto thread for the 70 W30 I have pictures of where the foam ends on that AC line. Also that bolt that holds the suction discharge plate to the compressor is Zinc (silver colored) - not phosphate.

Edit - found the pic in the thread. Use this link

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...w-30-a-11.html

and go to the June 1 2014 post for a clear pic of the original foam length. It was longer than I thought.

Last edited by costpenn; July 23rd, 2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old July 24th, 2018, 10:01 PM

Insulating sleeve

Originally Posted by costpenn
I've been trying to find where on my old resto thread for the 70 W30 I have pictures of where the foam ends on that AC line. Also that bolt that holds the suction discharge plate to the compressor is Zinc (silver colored) - not phosphate.

Edit - found the pic in the thread. Use this link

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...w-30-a-11.html

and go to the June 1 2014 post for a clear pic of the original foam length. It was longer than I thought.
Thank you for the pictures ! Really nice to see the work you did . Brought back a lot of memories of my 7 year restoration ! But to be honest you did a lot more detail on the items then I did ! I noticed on your hood bumpers the color looked like a Viking blue Is your w-30 Viking blue or Agean blue.
Old July 25th, 2018, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by ragtopblue
Thank you for the pictures ! Really nice to see the work you did . Brought back a lot of memories of my 7 year restoration ! But to be honest you did a lot more detail on the items then I did ! I noticed on your hood bumpers the color looked like a Viking blue Is your w-30 Viking blue or Agean blue.
Hello, the car is Astro Blue. Good luck with your project!
Old July 25th, 2018, 09:42 PM

Thanks you, but done !

Originally Posted by costpenn
Hello, the car is Astro Blue. Good luck with your project!
Costpenn,
Thank you but mine is actually done ! Are you attending the OCA Nationals next week? I will be there from Wednesday till Sunday. This is my car, it belonged to my Dad from 1980 till he passed in 98 and I received the car and spent 7 years restoring it in his memory. This is it today. original Viking blue with white interior. Cutlass Supreme.

Last edited by ragtopblue; July 25th, 2018 at 09:49 PM. Reason: additional information