General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

72 steering wheel play| tie rods, center link, etc replaced

Old July 9th, 2018, 06:18 AM

72 steering wheel play| tie rods, center link, etc replaced

GM,
- 72 350/350 w/ Power steering -
Looking for some guidance/directions on my "play" in the steering wheel. I just put on brand new center link, Inner and outer tie rods, new idler arm, and new sway bar bushings. I kept the Pitman arm as it, didn't make sense to replace it as its just metal and no bushing end on it. Prior to the change the car drifted from left to right/right to left pretty bad on the road...that drift is now gone.

Now all I am left with is the "play"...while driving i can prob move the wheel left/right and right/left with a good inch of play but the car will stay straight...there is no immediate reaction or road feel. After I get past the 1 inch mark I then have the car respond to the wheel turn, etc.

Is this my rag joint, or more major such as a gear box needing rebuild/replacement ? Im tempted to just buy a new rag joint anyway as its 46 years old and for 45 bucks - why not, i just want to get an idea if this is why I have the play or if I need to tear into it more.

Thank you for the time - Brian
Old July 9th, 2018, 07:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

How are the ball joints and bushings? Steering box?
Old July 9th, 2018, 07:06 AM

My guess is steering box. You can buy a new one from Rock Auto, and most of their styles come with a new rag joint included.
Old July 9th, 2018, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by RandyS
My guess is steering box. You can buy a new one from Rock Auto, and most of their styles come with a new rag joint included.
Yea my assumption as well, I guess replacing a 46 year old gear box with a new one w/ rag joint is a SAFE and good option.
Old July 9th, 2018, 07:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Brians1
Yea my assumption as well, I guess replacing a 46 year old gear box with a new one w/ rag joint is a SAFE and good option.

Still begs the question about the 46 year old ball joints and bushings...
Old July 9th, 2018, 07:24 AM
Administrator

There is a small amount of play in a recirculating ball steering system vs rack and pinion. Make sure the steering box is centered when the wheels are straight, if not there will be a little play.
Old July 9th, 2018, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
There is a small amount of play in a recirculating ball steering system vs rack and pinion. Make sure the steering box is centered when the wheels are straight, if not there will be a little play.
By "centered" do you mean the pitman arm pointing North and south with no visible angle or drift to the left or right ?
Old July 9th, 2018, 10:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

By "centered" do you mean the pitman arm pointing North and south with no visible angle or drift to the left or right ?

Centered means the steering box is in the center of it's travel arc. Do not simply look at the pitman arm.
Old July 9th, 2018, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Centered means the steering box is in the center of it's travel arc. Do not simply look at the pitman arm.
Ok - got it - part of my issue after i put on all of the new parts, the wheel is no longer centered when the wheels are straight. I did my best to measure the distance of the old vs new...still didn't help.
I watched a few videos on the "string method" to try and get it close.
I will do that and then see once i have wheel close to center again if the Play is still there or not
Old July 9th, 2018, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Take it to a reputable front end alignment shop, not one of the franchise types like pep boys, sears, etc that employ pimply faced kids with no understanding of what they are doing and why. Get a recommendation from local car guys or take it to someone who specializes in heavy trucks.
Old July 9th, 2018, 05:29 PM

Ok so tonight I was able to get the steering wheel a lot more centered...and...i believe i have figured out that my gear box is shot. While the car is parked and on level surface, wheels straight, I can watch the gear box as I rotate the steering wheel...the wheels do not move but the gear box rocks with a lot of play, a lot.!..unless this is expected, this tells me the gearbox is shot ? ** The rag joint is solid, no movement
Old July 10th, 2018, 04:24 AM

..the wheels do not move but the gear box rocks with a lot of play, a lot.!..
This sounds like the gear box is not securely bolted to the frame.
Old July 10th, 2018, 04:58 AM

The gearbox itself does not physically move at all but the steering shaft that goes into the gearbox has a significant amount of play left and right
Old July 10th, 2018, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Still begs the question about the 46 year old ball joints and bushings...
Sorry I missed this response Joe - Yes the Upper and lower Ball Joints are new. The only thing left is the original steering gear box, and as observed last night, the steering shaft that goes into it, a lot of play (rotating wheel in either direction) but no movement at tires or gear box itself, just the internals of it
Old July 12th, 2018, 05:07 PM

Look into a later model steering gearbox. The 3rd gen F body gearbox will bolt on (you need to swap Pitman arms) and you will need the aluminum adapters from Lee Power steering to adapt the flare fit hoses to the 0-ring gearbox. I did this swap to my cat years ago, it’s much more comfortable to drive and gets rid of the “forever” power steering these cars had new. The only downside is a slightly smaller turning radius.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 01:00 PM
1971 Cutlass Supreme Conv

Fast Ratio Upgrade

I had the same issue on my 71 with 110,000 miles. Sent my gearbox to Marty at Powersteering.com to rebuild the original box with 12:7 fast ratio upgrade. Input shaft splines and hoses remain the same as original. Definitely much more comfortable to drive!

Here is a link to the website: http://www.powersteering.com/power-s...ucts-services/
Old July 22nd, 2018, 01:20 PM

Thank You,
I just bought a CPP box and it was delivered Friday. I got a new rag joint from Lee Power steering for the 30 spline so after I get the kids to bed tonight I’m gonna tackle disassembly. I also used an auto zone gift card I got from the kids and purchased new power steering hoses ( hi and low)