General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

'70 442 - Heater / AC - Question on seals

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2018, 03:10 AM

'70 442 - Heater / AC - Question on seals

I'm restoring the heater unit on my '70 442 (with A/C). I've bought a seal kit from both The Part Place & OPGI but they are somewhat different and neither indicate where the seals go. Some are obvious but I'm trying to work out what was suppose to be on this flap in the attached photo. Nothing in the kits appears to suit and from the way the staples face there was something on both sides. After extensive searches on the web and through the Parts Book, Service Manual, Assembly Manual & Fisher Body Manual I'm struggling to work out what was there. Anyone here been down the same path before and found an answer ??? Appreciate any help. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old July 8th, 2018, 06:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

There is normally a piece of high density foam on that plate, mainly as a sound deadener. The foam turns into powder with age (the same reason why the 1980s GM headliners with the foam backing eventually droop). I bought silicone foam sheet from McMaster Carr and simply glued it on with contact cement.
Old July 8th, 2018, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
There is normally a piece of high density foam on that plate, mainly as a sound deadener. The foam turns into powder with age (the same reason why the 1980s GM headliners with the foam backing eventually droop). I bought silicone foam sheet from McMaster Carr and simply glued it on with contact cement.
Thanks Joe. Do you recall if it was just on one side or did it wrap around the plate ?? Reason I ask is that the staples at each end face opposite sides.
Old July 8th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 35olds
Thanks Joe. Do you recall if it was just on one side or did it wrap around the plate ?? Reason I ask is that the staples at each end face opposite sides.

Don't read too much into the direction of the staples. Often that is just a matter of convenience during assembly.

In my case the car is my 67 Delta, so not apples-to-apples, but the foam was on both sides of the flapper door. Usually you can see some remnants under the staples to guide you. Mine actually had more than remnants, but the foam was rapidly disintegrating.