General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Question about converting to electric fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2018, 07:24 PM

Question about converting to electric fuel pump

Just bought a 65 442 with a rebuilt 425 toronado motor in it. I would like to ditch the mechanical pump and put in a Holley blue pump Nd also use the steel 3/8 line if possible. Question is
1) do I have to get a bung welded to the tank ?
2) what the best way to go from tank to pump then with braided line to factory steel line, then from front steel line to carb with braided line
3) is it not even worth it to use factory steel line, should I just use braided ss all the way ?
​​​​​​​Thanks !
Old June 15th, 2018, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by 65oldsrocket
1) do I have to get a bung welded to the tank ?
2) what the best way to go from tank to pump then with braided line to factory steel line, then from front steel line to carb with braided line
3) is it not even worth it to use factory steel line, should I just use braided ss all the way ?
1) No
2) I suggest you use braided steel hose to go from the fuel sending unit in your fuel tank to the electric pump. Mount the electric pump on the frame of the car as close to the fuel tank as possible. Then you can run steel line from the pump forward to the engine bay. If you use steel braided hose again just use a few feet to go from your carburetor to the steel line.
3) You could do this; however, it would be more expensive than running a length of steel line or reusing the OE fuel line. Plus, the steel braided hose looks cool but will deteriorate faster than steel line. It's best used in short lengths (i.e. transmission to transmission cooler, mechanaical fuel pump to carburetor, etc.).
Old June 15th, 2018, 06:46 AM

Awesome, thanks for the info. I actually have some 3/8 braided as line laying around , so I guess I just use band clamps instead of an fittings ?
Old June 15th, 2018, 06:58 AM

I have used hose clamps with braided steel hose in the past. However, I prefer to use AN fittings if possible. If you install the braided steel hose between the fuel sending unit and fuel pump you will have to use a hose clamp on the fuel sending unit side. On the fuel pump side you could use an AN fitting or a hose barb and hose clamp.

Whenever I use hose clamps and steel braided hose I use electrical shrink wrap under the hose clamp to finish/dress up the end of the hose. Like the braided stainless hose I used for the auxillary transmission cooler on my f250:

Old June 15th, 2018, 03:57 PM

Why not use the Holley red pump. Unless the car runs 10s or better, you probably don't need the blue pump and separate regulator.
Old June 15th, 2018, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to go that route and use the hose clamps and shrink wrap
Old June 15th, 2018, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
Why not use the Holley red pump. Unless the car runs 10s or better, you probably don't need the blue pump and separate regulator.
i thought about it and it would be nice not to have the afr in the engine compartment but my ultimate goal is to have mid 500s hp. Figure I'd only buy the pump once
Old June 15th, 2018, 08:47 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It is probably a good idea to include an oil pressure switch so if the engine dies or loses oil pressure you fuel pump will shut off. It is a good safety measure.
Old June 17th, 2018, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
It is probably a good idea to include an oil pressure switch so if the engine dies or loses oil pressure you fuel pump will shut off. It is a good safety measure.

One of the more awesome things an electric pump will do is fill the system and the fuel bowl before starting. Carburetors will evaporate all the fuel out if they sit for a few weeks. If that switch is put in, it's a good idea to have a way of manually running the pump as well.
Old June 17th, 2018, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
One of the more awesome things an electric pump will do is fill the system and the fuel bowl before starting. Carburetors will evaporate all the fuel out if they sit for a few weeks. If that switch is put in, it's a good idea to have a way of manually running the pump as well.
that's actually one of the main reasons I also want to go electric now. So I can basically prime the carb. Then shut off the pump with the car running to get all the gas out of carb.
Old June 17th, 2018, 02:01 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by Koda
Very valid point. I have an electric pump on my 54 and it is the only pump on the car. I have a pressure switch I will install whenever I get around to changing the oil filter adapter. I will install a toggle or push button switch to bypass the pressure switch to be able to prime the carb. If you ever run out of gas it is good to have an electric pump also. Don't ask me how I know.