General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Brake booster

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2018, 09:12 PM

Brake booster

would a 7 inch brake booster fit my 1970 cutlass firewall bolt pattern is 3-3/8 square ???
Old April 16th, 2018, 07:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Bennyluchiano
would a 7 inch brake booster fit my 1970 cutlass firewall bolt pattern is 3-3/8 square ???
If you are doing this because you want to clear tall valve covers, don't. A 7" booster is next to worthless. There are only two things that control the amount of boost from a power brake booster - air pressure and booster diameter. Unless you are driving up Pikes's Peak, air pressure is pretty much the same. That means that the booster diaphragm diameter directly governs boost. Stock booster is an 11" - that's about 95 sq in of diaphragm area. A 7" booster has about 38 sq in of diaphragm area, so you'll only get about 40% of the assist as you would with stock. Even a dual diaphragm 7" booster only gives you about 80% of stock. Don't waste your time.

Frankly, the manual disc brakes that came stock in my 70 W-30 work fine. If you MUST have power, use a hydroboost.
Old April 16th, 2018, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
If you are doing this because you want to clear tall valve covers, don't. A 7" booster is next to worthless. There are only two things that control the amount of boost from a power brake booster - air pressure and booster diameter. Unless you are driving up Pikes's Peak, air pressure is pretty much the same. That means that the booster diaphragm diameter directly governs boost. Stock booster is an 11" - that's about 95 sq in of diaphragm area. A 7" booster has about 38 sq in of diaphragm area, so you'll only get about 40% of the assist as you would with stock. Even a dual diaphragm 7" booster only gives you about 80% of stock. Don't waste your time.

Frankly, the manual disc brakes that came stock in my 70 W-30 work fine. If you MUST have power, use a hydroboost.
makes sense yeah I need one mines starting to leak and it’s the original one it’s all rusty and stuff seen one on Craigslist for 80 bucks crome 7inch that’s why I asked yeah not worth it I’ll get an 11inch but the hydroboost don’t sound to bad