General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

A little mystery on the last drive of the year!

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2017, 03:26 AM

A little mystery on the last drive of the year!

I had an odd thing happen to me yesterday. My '68 had her 50th birthday this week(11A build) & I wanted to take her out & give her a little birthday spanking before the snow flies!!! It was a balmy 44 degrees out but it was clear & sunny. It runs soooo good in the cold,especially with the OAI on it!! I had it warming up in the driveway & it just shut down. There was no power to the dash or starter. I know the car is 50 yrs old but the wiring is in excellent shape, it's never been cut or hacked. I left the ignition switch on & went out to look under the hood,everything looked ok, no loose or fried wires, no scary burnt wire smells. I got back in the car & as I watched the brake & gen lamps came back all by themselves & the car started right up?? It has to be the ignition switch,I replaced it & the headlamp switch 5 yrs ago with parts from Napa. I was scared to take it out but my neighbor owns a towing business so I took it out for a nice hour ride. It never missed a beat,it ran great!! I ran it pretty hard too!! There's nothing like some full throttle power shifting to put a smile on your face!! Maybe some "chineseium" assembly grease inside the switch got on the contacts & momentarily caused the connection to break? You try to cover your bases & replace things so you can have a dependable ride but the quality of some of the replacement parts we have these days really sucks!!! I already ordered another switch as I don't trust the one in the car anymore, hopefully I can get more than 5 yrs out of this one!
Old November 5th, 2017, 05:23 AM
Maintained

first thing I'd suspect is moisture/condensation on the contacts. (neutral safety, distributor, ignition etc.)
once it evaporated the contact was reestablished and all is well.
Old November 5th, 2017, 06:02 AM
Administrator

It may not be the ignition switch, I'd check the bulkhead connector/s under the master cylinder and the horn relay stud also.
Old November 5th, 2017, 07:30 AM

Thanks guys. The horn relay wires were the first thing I checked, 68's use 2 small screws for the accessory wires instead of 1 stud like '69 up use. But then I remembered that the one wire I suspected powers the whole fuse box,it does go through the bulkhead. There are 2 other wires on the relay, 1 goes to the alt & 1 to the blower relay. If I disconnect the one for the fuse box, I lose everything in the car, ignition switch is dead,
courtesy lamps go out, & so do the exterior lights. The courtesy lamps & parking lamps were still working when the car died so I'm thinking that rules out the bulkhead connector. I've got a bunch of projects planned for the car this winter so I'll just add another one to the list!!