General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

What do these fit?

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2017, 05:41 AM

What do these fit?

Hello everyone, I installed these cheap Ebay stainless headers on my 72 Supreme and they hang so low that I bottom out on everything. Is it possible that they are for a big block? Would big block headers bolt up to 350? Any suggestions? Thanks
Old September 15th, 2017, 06:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Townie
Hello everyone, I installed these cheap Ebay stainless headers
And that's your FIRST problem right there...
Old September 15th, 2017, 08:42 AM

To answer your questions: Yes they are probably made for a BBO and they would bolt to a 350.
Old September 15th, 2017, 09:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

The ads for most of these Chinesium headers claim they fit "350-455", so the reality is you have no idea what they are designed to fit, or even if the vendor designed them correctly and fit checked them on multiple applications. Even headers that ARE properly designed exhibit a LOT of variability in tube routing and fitment from one set to another.
Old September 15th, 2017, 09:32 AM

Thank You for the information. Now the hunt begins for a new set or maybe back to the manifolds. I like the new small block manifolds that Thorton is making. Any on use them?
Old September 15th, 2017, 11:49 AM

I have always used Heddmans on my car and the only time they scraped was when I jump a railroad track crossing at high speed (that was back in my high school days).
Old September 15th, 2017, 06:58 PM

Wow you need to mow that grass

X2 on what Joe said. Unfortunately it's hard to know when eBaying that you are getting what you need. Return possible?
Old September 15th, 2017, 07:15 PM

Unfortunately no returns, they're so smashed up no one would take them back. It's my sons job to mow the grass and he's been slacking so I better get on him.
Old September 15th, 2017, 08:04 PM

Kidding about the grass

They are very low and probably for a big block. You may tell the seller that they are too big and drag. The seller should as a seller know somethings about what they should not only fit but actually work on.
Old September 15th, 2017, 08:32 PM

Thank You for the information. Now the hunt begins for a new set or maybe back to the manifolds. I like the new small block manifolds that Thorton is making. Any on use them?
Have a set of the Thornton manifolds on the SBO in my 67 Cutlass. I've put about 8 to 10 thousand miles on them and are quite happy with them.
Old September 16th, 2017, 09:05 AM

I have them too... very nice quality.
Old September 16th, 2017, 09:19 AM

It's good to hear about quality products that are designed and made in the USA. God Bless America! ����
Old September 16th, 2017, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Gary M
The seller should as a seller know somethings about what they should not only fit but actually work on.
Thanks for a good laugh today. eBay sellers actually knowing about what they sell, that's a good one.
Old September 16th, 2017, 09:25 AM

Yep, those are copies of hooker headers that were made for a big block, so hang a little lower on small blocks. Crushing or bashing your headers may not hurt a thing, as far as flow and may even help flow.

Many a car in the late 60s and early 70s learned that speed bumps crushed their headers, if not creeped over at dead slow speeds and still might scrape. It was not uncommon then, and it happened to my orange MT Avenger headers, on my BBC Camaro. They still flowed plenty.
Old September 16th, 2017, 09:45 AM

Thumbs up Buying online

Originally Posted by Gary M
They are very low and probably for a big block. You may tell the seller that they are too big and drag. The seller should as a seller know somethings about what they should not only fit but actually work on.
I agree they should know what they're selling, the where listed for a small block Olds. I knew you were joking, I was too.
Old September 16th, 2017, 09:52 AM

Wow cool video. My issue is not so much speed bumps and drive ways, I go very slow. It's more the dips on the highway when I'm going fast that it violently bottoms out, I'm worried about damaging my heads.
Old September 16th, 2017, 10:00 AM

Wow cool video. My issue is not so much speed bumps and drive ways, I go very slow. It's more the dips on the highway when I'm going fast that it violently bottoms out, I'm worried about damaging my heads.
Taller tires, or and some coil spacers might cure the problem plus watching how you drive. BBO headers should only be about an inch lower than SBO headers. Headers and road clearance has always been a problem on many cars over the eons. They won't tear up your heads from hitting, but you could destroy your exhaust. Stop it LOL