General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Fuse Blowing

Old August 11th, 2017, 10:28 PM

Question Fuse Blowing

Hello All, from Brisbane Australia, I hope all is well with everybody. I'm hoping to get some advice if possible about an issue i'm having with my 58 super 88 It seems to be blowing the SFE 14 amp fuse for the generator light , back up lamps, fuel gauge etc. I have replaced the stop light switch on the brake, as well as the turn signal switch and neutral safety switch, I have also fitted a new voltage regulator box. This issue seems to happen when i put the car into park.? I'm wondering what else i could do. The dimmer switch on the floor seems to stick and wont return to the out position unless in pull it out,I have a new one to replace with . Any advice would be very welcome, piperman 60, AKA Ray.
Old August 12th, 2017, 12:43 AM
ph_ckstick1

I'd start with checking to see if when you are moving the shifter into park you are not "pinching" a wire..
Old August 12th, 2017, 01:24 PM

sounds like what midnight said, you might be pinching a wire, shorting it to ground. I would start by getting a wiring diagram and going from there. I had the same issue with my chevelle, turned out a wire was pinched the steering column and dash support.
Old August 16th, 2017, 04:02 AM

re, Blown fuse

Hello again, I found the issue with the fuse blowing, seems the main wire that comes to the back of the car for the backup lights was earthing out on the chassis, my auto sparky guy says it look likes the last owner may have tried to hook up some kind of wire for a trailer and melted a couple wires in the process and one was touching the chassis so every time i put the car in reverse, Fizz, Cheers for your feedback, Much appreciated.
Old August 16th, 2017, 05:37 AM
ph_ckstick1

Glad you found it..