General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Restoring 71 Supreme cast grilles

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2017, 03:16 AM
Chris

Good luck with both Greg. I'd love to see pics of the vista!
chris
Old September 26th, 2017, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Oldssupreme
lol! And what kind of black paint did you use? Could you also post a photo of he type/style/brand of brush you used? Fun71 I'd love to hear what you used as well. Yours are also beautiful! And did either of you use primer first? I don't remember seeing that in the thread. Thanks!
Chris
I did in fact use primer, Duplicolour self etching primer. The brush was out of a cheap pack of artists brushes. You want big enough to go up most of the recessed sides but small enough to get in the areas without getting on the silver. It will take several coats to complete the job. The worst area is doing around the four curved corners. As I think I wrote earlier let the silver set a few days before attempting the black so when you give a quick swipe to wipe off any mistakes, you have less chance of wiping the silver with it.
I used Krylon semi flat black which is duller than satin. I can only find it in their Rust Tough line. 49203. Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20170926_141023.jpg (4.22 MB, 33 views)
IMG_20170926_135345.jpg (3.07 MB, 19 views)
Old October 8th, 2017, 05:35 AM

Just went to Hershey and Fusick was there. I found that the Cutlass Supreme emblems for the grill is not available repop. I have 2 decent used ones but I was going to get a new one to put on my newly restored grills (I hope...)
Old October 8th, 2017, 06:12 AM

I found out that as well. Having said that, The Parts Place lists one for 71. Part # EM2417T. As Fusick traditionally has made all these emblems for everyone, I am suspect about the Parts Place claim. Fusick makes the same looking emblems for the mid-70s Cutlasses which look the same but probably mount differently.
It would be great if it is correct.
Old December 1st, 2017, 05:46 AM

Brian,what paint did you end up using for the silver?
Old December 1st, 2017, 05:48 AM

Wow having problems posting,anyway I can't find krylon dull aluminum. Thanks so much, Greg.
Old December 1st, 2017, 05:55 AM

Greg, look for Krylon Metallics label with a silver cap. It indicates dull aluminum 41403 on the back bottom of the can on the UPC label. Good luck.
Old December 1st, 2017, 12:16 PM

lol! And what kind of black paint did you use? Could you also post a photo of he type/style/brand of brush you used? Fun71 I'd love to hear what you used as well. Yours are also beautiful! And did either of you use primer first? I don't remember seeing that in the thread. Thanks!
Chris
I did not use primer; I just sanded the grilles and sprayed Krylon Dull Aluminum.
As for the black paint, it was probably Krylon semi gloss black as that is what I used on a lot of the other black parts under the hood.
The brush was one out of a Testors multi pack. No idea about its dimensions as I did the grilles in 1998.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 05:26 AM

Ok, thanks guys. The krylon I got is 41403 so I should be ready to start. I'll let you know how it goes!
Old December 2nd, 2017, 05:34 AM

Oops, the krylon I bought was rust tough enamel #9213 aluminum, but I did see the 41403. I will return this and get the other. Thanks again,Greg.
Old December 4th, 2017, 04:38 PM

NOS 71 emblem

I know this guy. He's usually firm on price. If he won't ship, I'll pick it up and ship it to you. You pay for part and shipping. https://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/d...360671481.html
Old December 4th, 2017, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gary M
I know this guy. He's usually firm on price. If he won't ship, I'll pick it up and ship it to you. You pay for part and shipping. https://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/d...360671481.html
Sending you a PM Gary. Thanks, Greg.
Old December 16th, 2017, 12:35 PM

I got the NOS emblem- thanks for the lead, Gary. I also found and bought the krylon dull aluminum paint from O rielleys. It's not in stock but could be ordered. Cost 5.99 a can. Good deal. I still haven't started on the grills except for taking them out of the car. I put the 70 Vista on hold, I'm a little worried about getting in over my head.
Old December 31st, 2017, 12:51 PM

I started on the grills before Christmas. I have a old can of "aircraft" stripper that I brushed on after cleaning the grills. It didn't work very well. Took off the black paint well but left a lot of the silver. I think it's just lost it's potency because it's old. I'm going to buy some new stripper and try it again.
Old December 31st, 2017, 01:55 PM

Now you may never want to restore another pair of grills in your entire life. But I bet you have a deep feeling of accomplishment after finishing up with this pair. Awesome Job!

I cheated with the plastic grills on my 69. I bought a new set from Fusik, LOL
Old December 31st, 2017, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
I started on the grills before Christmas. I have a old can of "aircraft" stripper that I brushed on after cleaning the grills. It didn't work very well. Took off the black paint well but left a lot of the silver. I think it's just lost it's potency because it's old. I'm going to buy some new stripper and try it again.
I got poor results from spray stripper. I bought a gallon of the stuff and filled a shallow plastic tote and submerged the grilles for several hours. Even then it was a pile of effort with wire brushes. Not for the faint of heart. I don't envy you at this stage. 😥
Old January 1st, 2018, 06:27 AM

btw-love the look of the stock non-oai hood on your car- and your grilles look fantastic
Old January 17th, 2018, 09:43 AM

I have been working on my 56 f100 in the garage and planned to do the Cutlass grilles at the same time, But man is it cold out there! I ended up making a temporary table in my utility room as I did a few years ago to redo my taillights. Wife hasn't even complained too much! I bought some HD stripper that is supposed to remove epoxy. It does take off the paint better but it's not water soluble so I guess I will have to remove it with mineral spirits. Yeah it is a pain, good thing I'm retired!
Attached Images
IMG_2227.JPG (2.12 MB, 16 views)
IMG_2226.JPG (2.48 MB, 14 views)
Old February 20th, 2018, 02:51 PM

Well, Got back on the grill project. I had some stripper that was in my garage for a long time and it didn't work well. I bought some heavy duty stripper at Home Depot that was supposed to be really good and it would remove epoxy, so I figured it would be good , but you had to remove it with mineral spirits. which is a royal stinky PIA. So I got some rustoleum brand aircraft stripper on line. It works really good and can be washed off with water. This is some baadd sh*t though... I used latex gloves but when brushing off the stripper/ paint some splattered on my face and stung pretty good, Might be best to use a face shield. The 1st grille is pretty much ready for paint, The other 3 need another coat. Now I know what you mean, Brian!
Attached Images
IMG_2286.JPG (119.3 KB, 12 views)
IMG_2285.JPG (112.5 KB, 14 views)
IMG_2292.JPG (156.8 KB, 20 views)
Old February 20th, 2018, 05:21 PM

Oh yeah, bad memories. You'll be so glad when that part is behind you. Good luck.
Old February 20th, 2018, 06:19 PM

I hand sanded mine. That was a bit time consuming.
Old March 11th, 2018, 06:47 AM

Back at it.

I painted the 4 grilles with the dull aluminum paint and that came out really well. That Krylon paint is really nice. After they dried for about a week I got everything together and started the black on the dining room table. ( I have a very understanding wife) I looked thru my old model car paints and found a small bottle of satin black. I used that starting with what looked like the easiest part, the wider center bar. I was ready with some lacquer thinner and also some mineral spirits, (I know lacquer thinner is bad stuff and was afraid of it taking off the silver). When I first started I was very careful and tried not to get paint on the raised portion, when I did I rubbed it off quickly with the mineral spirits- It did work. But then I found I could wipe off my mistakes with just the dry rag. After that ,I was still careful but I just wiped the raised part. If I missed something or got some paint on the flat outer parts (dropped the brush once) I used the mineral spirits very gently. Yep as you said the corners were the hardest. I got one done and the second about 1/2 done before I had to quit. I should be able to finish them up this week. Nice to see progress.
Attached Images
IMG_2343.JPG (119.1 KB, 18 views)
IMG_2344.JPG (130.3 KB, 16 views)
IMG_2345.JPG (75.2 KB, 14 views)
Old March 11th, 2018, 06:46 PM

Lookin good. A great feeling when you get one down. Rest that steady hand before the second one. ��
Old March 31st, 2018, 03:41 PM

Got the 2 sets painted and they look nice. I had a new Cutlass Supreme emblem put on by the body shop back in 1997 after I hit a deer and they broke it! I can see how it broke because when you screw on the new sheet metal nut on the stud you cut new threads. The one at the far right tends to twist and breaks off the "e". You can see it in the first pic. I super glued it and it was Ok. But now I got another new one (Thanks Gary) and sure didn't want to break it. So I used the sheet metal nuts on 3 of the studs and just slipped a piece of vacuum hose on the stud by the "e". I think this will work well. Now I just have to put the grills and front bumper back on.
Attached Images
IMG_2366.JPG (96.4 KB, 7 views)
IMG_2364.JPG (138.4 KB, 7 views)
IMG_2369.JPG (80.8 KB, 7 views)
IMG_2368.JPG (98.0 KB, 6 views)
IMG_2367.JPG (113.6 KB, 7 views)
Old April 1st, 2018, 05:27 AM

Looks great....I'd LOVE do redo mine but I'm very dubious about my ability and patience to do this.

Kudos to you guys!

Cheers,

Troy
Old April 1st, 2018, 06:45 AM

Looking great, bet you are glad that is done. Installing them is no picnic either, as the grilles are so heavy and you are fitting them into 47 year old plastic pieces. Good luck.
Old September 10th, 2018, 06:17 PM
Chris

So here's a question. I've been to all the big home and auto box stores around here in south jersey and I can't find the krylon dull aluminum- old or new. So I was thinking, would using VHT cast aluminum engine paint work? I think it's a close color to dull aluminum and it's got nice coverage from what I've experienced. But would it hold up to chips and stones from road debris? How has your dull aluminum held up? VHT makes a satin clear for wheels but can that be put over the VHT engine paint? Or is that whole VHT idea silly? Someone had mentioned spraying with a clear over it. What about that? By the way how many cans did you guys use? I remember one of you used self etching primer and the other didn't. I'd like to hear from you about how they held up? Thank you!
chris
Old September 11th, 2018, 06:55 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Chris - you can likely use the VHT engine paint and it will have the same durability as any other paint. It also has a nice flow nozzle. Just a word of caution on spraying clear over the VHT though. I found that doing that changes the color to a slightly darker shade. You won't need more than one can, it has lots of coverage since you're only really spraying the front and sides of the grills.
Old September 11th, 2018, 10:35 AM
Chris

Thanks Allan. Is it necessary for durability to spray clear over it? I only saw a clear for the wheel line of VHT. I'm not sure if they are compatible with the engine line of VHT. thoughts? And it seems like we're split down the middle regarding primer. I guess it can't hurt to use VHT engine primer. Thanks guys!
Chris
Old September 11th, 2018, 10:44 AM

Very nice work!
Old September 11th, 2018, 10:45 AM

I used Krylon 1403 Dull Aluminum with no primer on the grilles and tail light lenses. Sprayed them in 1998 and they still look great.
Old September 11th, 2018, 11:46 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Thanks Allan. Is it necessary for durability to spray clear over it? I only saw a clear for the wheel line of VHT. I'm not sure if they are compatible with the engine line of VHT. thoughts? And it seems like we're split down the middle regarding primer. I guess it can't hurt to use VHT engine primer. Thanks guys!
Chris
Chris, I don't think primer is going to make any difference other than cost you some $$. I wouldn't spray clear over top, just leave it as is. Reason I say this is it would make it a lot easier in the future to do touch up and respray without having to remove the clear. Are you planning to hand paint the lines in between the grill openings?
Old September 11th, 2018, 12:23 PM
Chris

Yup. I'm gonna hand paint the insets. I was actually thinking of asking my wife who is a hobby artist to paint them for me since she has a much steadier hand than I do. It would also be great to have her involved in a part of the project. She definitely won't let me put the grilles on the dining room table like someone else said lol.
Old September 11th, 2018, 05:24 PM

I ordered the krylon flat aluminum from O'Reilleys , came in next day, that's what I would recommend- good stuff! My grilles are back in and look great, they are wearing well.