General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

72 Cutlass Swap Header Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2017, 02:08 PM

72 Cutlass Swap Header Compatibility

Hello all,
I have a 72 Cutlass S with a 425 swapped from a 65 Starfire.
I currently have a set of Flowtech full length exhaust headers which I've used for over 5 years.
One of the flanges on the passenger side was sitting very close to the front brake line, and has now damaged it. I figure a good long-term plan is to replace the headers to avoid any line/motor mount issues.

My question is, Is there a set of headers that anyone has found success with with this combination of car/motor? I know different manufacturers route the flanges differently and would appreciate any recommendations.
I also understand that shorty headers for a big block Oldsmobile are scarce. I would love to spring for stainless or ceramic coated, but anything compatible would be great.

Thanks!

Note: I'm sure there is a post in the haystack somewhere in which someone found what I'm looking for, but I failed to track it down

Last edited by 72fastback; July 13th, 2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old July 13th, 2017, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Unless you want to spend big money on Kooks or American Racing Headers, your stuck with the normal Hedman, Hookers, or the ones you have. If your headers are in good shape and serve their purpose, I would clean them up and reuse them. Repair your brake line and move it out of the way.
Old July 13th, 2017, 02:49 PM

Hooker Super Comps are a far better header than Headmans.
Only issue with Hookers is relocating the distribution valve on the DRIVERs side frame rail, which is something that almost all Olds header installations require. Ive NEVER experienced a breakline problem on the passenger side of a A-body while using Hookers. Even with the 1 7/8 Hooker, never had an issue with fitment.
Kooks no longer makes headers for an Olds application, Dick Miller owns the gigs and makes them under his name now.
Replacement, pre-bent brake lines are available thru Classic Tube, and Right Stuff Detailing, in mild-steel or stainless. Summit carries both lines for good prices.
Old July 13th, 2017, 08:53 PM
Old(s) Fart

If the headers you have work well, it's MUCH easier to simply reroute the brake line.