General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1969 cutlass a/c options,universal under dash or Vintage Air?

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2017, 07:02 PM

1969 cutlass a/c options,universal under dash or Vintage Air?

Im wanting to add air conditioning to my 1969 cutlass to help combat this Oklahoma triple digit weather we have in the summer. In the past, I have installed a Vintage Air complete system in a 69 RS Camaro and the installation went very well BUT the price tag is about $1450, the Camaro budget was higher because that car had more resale value than my current 69 S cutlass so Im on a bit of a budget here. Well I just realized there were lots of Universal ac kits available for old vintage cars, other wise know as "undrr dash" a/c units some even come with heat. They can be had for about 1/3 of the cost. Has anyone had any luck with the underdash kits. What would be any benifits or cons besides the obvious like the Vintage Air is not visible and ties into existing vents, probably easier installation since everything is custom for my car. Anyhow any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.
Old October 26th, 2017, 11:04 PM

Hi Stix,

I'm also curious what others have used. Did you end up installing one?
Old October 26th, 2017, 11:14 PM

I have made the decision but been busy with my restoration of everything else so I havnt had time to purchase or install. i decided to go with the Vintage Air system. the aftermarket underdash systems I was looking at had more cons than pros, like the hi pressure hoses were held on with hose clamps, also the kits didnt come with compressor brackets which bumped up the cost another 100.00. After researching for hours i found that the aftermarket underdash system was going be just about 400.00 less than the Vintage Air system. The vintage Air is custom fit and will be much easier to install plus it will look factory from inside the vehicle except for the controls. I just couldnt find any reviews of the newer underdash systems and I have already had good luck with Vintage Air system so Vintage Air it is!
Old October 26th, 2017, 11:18 PM

Thank you for the update! I'm going to put that on my project wish list.
Old October 26th, 2017, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by patmac
Thank you for the update! I'm going to put that on my project wish list.
No problem, good luck!