General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

altenator issue

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2017, 04:17 PM

altenator issue

Guys I got a 71 455 in my 67 442... alternator bearings starting to screech so I go to autozone and he gets me an altenator... pull my old one off both wires running to the post not on ground... find out plastic plug is wrong pin setup... two pins in plug are vertical my new alt has horizontal take new alt out... go back to parts store and they get me the one that matches appearance on old one... I hook both wires to same pole and plug in... engine starts but makes huge starter noise as well... quickly shut it off and try wiring seperate poles... no start at all... argh went back to store and returned alt got another one from Napa... looked like the one I returned... tried again in car... hooked both wires to same pole same issue starts but starter noise returns like starter continues to grind like trying to start a car that's already going... help
Old April 14th, 2017, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Did you do anything else to the wiring besides the alternator? There should only be 3 wires going to the alternator, a heavy red wire to the rear post and a connector with a white and a dark blue wire. I don't see any way that changing an alternator should cause the starter to keep running.
Old April 14th, 2017, 08:01 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You know you can just buy the bearings at NAPA for about $6 (if I recall) and replace them, right?

- Eric
Old April 15th, 2017, 09:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tbdragon
Guys I got a 71 455 in my 67 442...
So WHICH alternator do you have in your 67? The stock 67 external regulator system or the 1971 internal regulator system? If it's an internal one, how was the conversion wired? This might explain why you are getting the wrong alternator.
Old April 15th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

It sounds like he has the external voltage regulator alternator, connectors from the top are vertical on the 10DN. It makes sense they would give him the much more common horizontal connector 10/12SI alternator's. How tight is your belt? I just went through this, I went too tight trying to eliminate belt squeak at start up. It made a horrible noise, backed the tension off, everything was fine.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; April 15th, 2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old April 15th, 2017, 06:15 PM

I got the new alternator working guys hooking it up like old one... the starter noise was from a wire connect going to the distributor... I had recently done plugs and wires and then tried to tackle the "alternator noise"... when I get too many revs getting squeal from that area... calmed it down but still squeels with new alt and V belt... say about 3k revs... I have power steering pump under it so maybe that is what squeels... I am gonna back the tension down a bit tomorrow and see if it chills it out... if not then closer look at power steering pump fluid level and try to determine if noise coming from there... ty so much for suggestions guys
Old April 15th, 2017, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Glad you found your issues. I figured there was something else involved because there was no way the alternator could activate the starter.