General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Valve Cover Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2017, 04:32 PM

Valve Cover Recommendations

Switch the 350 out for a 455. Have clearance issues. Looking for recommendations on Valve covers. Coolness and Correct Height help. Thanks
Old March 23rd, 2017, 07:40 PM

Nothing like factory notched ones. I'm sure someone here has some to sell you.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 07:41 PM
72 Olds CS

where are the clearance issues at the AC box, Brake booster or inside the valve cover ?

I swapped my 350 for a 455 and have the stock notched BBO a body valve covers on w no issue.

Old March 24th, 2017, 08:02 AM

If you want "coolness" find a set of the '73-'74 covers that have "Oldsmobile" stamped in them. They have a narrow profile all the way down instead of a "notch" so there is no fitment problems at all. They show up on epay all the time & I'd bet someone here has a set for sale.
Old March 24th, 2017, 02:48 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Propaneking
Switch the 350 out for a 455. Have clearance issues. Looking for recommendations on Valve covers. Coolness and Correct Height help. Thanks
Telling us the year, model, and with or without A/C would help get a useful answer.
Old March 24th, 2017, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the responses. 72 Cutlass with ac removed. Brake and heater normal tight fit areas. Just don't see much for sale on the market I like thats cool. I see a number of covers available that look "cheap". Love the script ones but way too tall. I'll keep looking.
Old March 24th, 2017, 03:11 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Propaneking
Thanks for the responses. 72 Cutlass with ac removed. Brake and heater normal tight fit areas. Just don't see much for sale on the market I like thats cool. I see a number of covers available that look "cheap". Love the script ones but way too tall. I'll keep looking.
A/C removed, but heater normal tight fit? What does that mean? Do you have the stock A/C HVAC box? A stock metal heater-only box? The aftermarket A/C delete box? Each provides different clearance.

Stock 11" power brake booster? Something smaller?

How are the accessories mounted? Alternator on the passenger side or driver side?

These questions all factor in to which covers fit. The driver side alternator bracket won't clear anything taller than stock. Same for the 11" brake booster and the stock A/C HVAC box. If you want taller aftermarket covers, go to manual brakes or a hydroboost. The stock metal heater-only box clears the regular finned aluminum covers (Holley/Edelbrock/Mickey Thompson etc). The stock passenger side alternator bracket clears these also.

The "script" valve covers referred to above were not the tall aluminum ones but the lower one in this photo, used in 1973-74 only. They clear any stock configuration of brackets/HVAC/booster.

Old March 24th, 2017, 07:21 PM

Its a stock ac Hvac box, stock power brake booster. Alternator is on Driver Side. If anyone has a pair of the 73-74 script valve covers what would you want for them?