General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Rochester 4gc

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2017, 02:04 AM

Rochester 4gc

Hello all, I have an issue with the 4gc Rochester in my 58 Olds, Last November i bought a nos rebuild kit for it and had it installed , it ran well for three weeks or so except for the fact that it had a really bad dead spot when i tried to hit the gas pedal, then it started leaking around the gasket on top of the carby, Airhorn? so the car has been sitting for the last couple of months in the shed as i took the carby to a new guy , He is well known as a top carburetor guy here in Brisbane. He told me that the previous guy didn't know what the heck he was doing as it had 5 or 6 issues, so anyway to end a long story, the new guy told me the carby was working really well, i put it on my olds yesterday , drove it round the block a few times , no leaks etc, ran great etc, today just moved it out of the shed lifted the hood and noticed fuel dripping again. Just wondering as i put a new kit into the original fuel pump. Do you think maybe there is too much pressure? Im totally at a loss as ive so far spent $280 on trying to fix this problem, Any idea's would be greatfully taken on board, Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P8220574 (Medium).JPG (98.2 KB, 47 views)
P7310039.JPG (3.46 MB, 43 views)
P2241043.JPG (2.95 MB, 50 views)
Old February 20th, 2017, 02:41 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Is one of your floats set too high? Is there a leak in a needle and seat?

Since it was just fixed, I'd take it back to the guy.

- Eric
Old February 20th, 2017, 02:46 AM

beautiful car, could be some small debris got introduced into the fuel system during maintenance which won't allow the needle and seat to close completely. Something in the rebuild kit may not be compatable with today's fuel. Or as you said fuel pressure related, I know the wcfb carbs specify 4.75-5.25 psi for proper operation. good luck
Old February 20th, 2017, 03:01 AM

Thanks for the comments, I will talk to the guy tomorrow and see what he thinks, will also check to see if needle and seat has some gunk. I'll keep you posted , Cheers, :-)
Old February 20th, 2017, 03:37 AM

Im ordering a front end rebuild kit from Fusick. So while the cars off the ground i might replace fuel lines and clean the fuel tank. Are fusick good to deal with. ? Its very hard as far as buying parts re. Exchange rates etc and getting right parts first time. Its a long way down here �� cheers.
Old February 20th, 2017, 06:28 AM

As far as doing business with Fusick is concerned they are one of the best but expensive.They ship well and in general know Oldsmobile's, beings you are in Australia it probably makes sense not to shop around for a parts especially because of shipping issues..... Tedd
Old February 20th, 2017, 06:30 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Fusick is good to deal with but their $3.00 fee they add to every order aggravates me, especially if it is a small order. I have used their carb kit on my 54 and it is a good kit. It has the plunger that is ethanol proof. I doubt ethanol is a problem in Australia. Good luck on all your repairs. I think I would take the car back to the carb guy and have him repair the carb and put it back on the car. Nice looking 58 by the way.
Old February 20th, 2017, 03:29 PM

It does sound like a float setting or some gunk in one of the needle/seats.

I hope he figures it out for you.
Old February 20th, 2017, 05:16 PM

Hello again, I called the carb guy today. he told me to clamp the rubber fuel line and run car till the carby runs dry then unclamp as sometimes this can clear any dirt grit etc that may be stuck under the needle,also he wants me to tell him at what point it starts to flood? He thinks there may be an issue with a blocked overflow channel? cant remember his exact words, but to that effect. Cheers, I'll keep you all posted, Hope its not to cold over there, stay warm. Ray .ps Thanks for the comments on the car, I was very lucky to get it, 98000 miles. Came from Arkansas. :-)

Last edited by piperman60; February 20th, 2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old February 21st, 2017, 05:34 AM

Definitely a cool car!

I've never heard of that trick before but I suppose it could work. I don't think it could hurt anything. If you do that and it still has a problem hopefully your tech will tell you to bring it in.
Old March 1st, 2017, 03:27 AM

4GC Issue

Hello again, Just an update on the carby issue, I tried the clamp fuel line trick, it seems to have worked fine, I will still clean out the fuel tank as im sure it must have gunk in it, Also i have bought a new front end kit for the Olds, I called Kanter to order a front end kit and it seemed like the guy i talked to wasn't really interested in what i was saying so i bought it from Fusick. They were really helpful, helped me out heaps!!! If anyone has any advice on fitting the new parts please feel free , Any advice would be welcome as ivé not done this kind of thing before, Cheers, Ray.
Attached Images
P3010121.JPG (3.10 MB, 19 views)

Last edited by piperman60; March 1st, 2017 at 03:33 AM.
Old March 1st, 2017, 05:28 AM

Seems as though I've posted this many times recently. I guess that's because I think it's a good product. Use this to restore your fuel tank when you drop it. I used it on my 71 98 and it's great!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...56-3/overview/