61 Starfire - what do i have? - Page 3 - ClassicOldsmobile.com

General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 6th, 2017, 09:11 PM   #81

mjmyaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 08:32 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmyaire View Post
How are they different? I have a hood molding that I thought was off a 62 and when I hold it up next to my 61 moldings they look the same.

The black rims then on a 61 starfire were gloss black then I would assume.

Under hood black? gloss?

I believe oldsfan I sent you my data plate info. I think I read on your site that some plants used different coding, 3 digits vs 2 on the 1962 cars. Since my 61 starfire has power antenna and A/C I was curious why my ACC area would be blank.

Your method of contacting me is not working. You have emails blocked on C/O in your settings. Contact me through this Thread here and I'll answer your questions....
chequenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 07:00 AM   #83

wanted to see if that A/C car at the salvage yard was still available, the one missing the front end parts.
Old March 20th, 2017, 11:30 AM   #84

I believe it is. My understanding from the Wrecking yard owner is that he doesn't want to sell parts anymore from his carson in the yard but he would rather sell each car car as a whole unit.
Old March 20th, 2017, 08:52 PM   #85

Can you send me his contact info
Old March 21st, 2017, 05:37 PM   #86

'61 Olds contact

His name is Vic, and he has a Company name of Aero-tique and he is about thirty five miles north of Edmonton Alberta. The Phone Number is 708 942-2559. He is usually open 9:00 to 5:00 week days and sometimes Saturday mornings but not always.
Old March 21st, 2017, 06:14 PM   #87

Thanks!
Old March 22nd, 2017, 08:39 AM   #88
Bfg

I was thumbing thru " The Cars of Oldsmobile " by Dennis Casteele and saw different width of white walls for the 61 model line-up ranging from 1" to 3". These appeared to be factory photo's. The Ninety-Eight had 3" white walls and the Starfire had 1". Also the F-85 had the thinner white walls. Don't know what determined what got what?
Bfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 04:34 PM   #89
Phantom Phixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfg View Post
I was thumbing thru " The Cars of Oldsmobile " by Dennis Casteele and saw different width of white walls for the 61 model line-up ranging from 1" to 3". These appeared to be factory photo's. The Ninety-Eight had 3" white walls and the Starfire had 1". Also the F-85 had the thinner white walls. Don't know what determined what got what?
Since these were factory photos , I would figure that the model of car would determine the whitewall width .
In fact , I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Starfires got "special" 1 " wide whitewalls . While the rest of the full size cars got the "traditional" 3" whitewalls .

Last edited by Charlie Jones; March 22nd, 2017 at 04:43 PM.
Charlie Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 12:10 PM   #90

OA & OB transmissions for 61 Oldsmobiles

My understanding is the OB transmission was Starfire only and the OA was used for the other models. I have an OB-61-5529 which is fine and is getting new seals. My other OB turns out is junk and I need to find another for my other 61 Starfire. Does anyone know the differences between OA and the OB? My guess is O is for Oldsmobile since the slim Jim model 10 for Pontiac started with a P. I've found that the model 10 was used for the 61 - 64 model years. I read something a while back and can't find it now that the speedometer gearing was different and maybe some internal differences.
Old April 14th, 2017, 02:56 PM   #91

Quote:
My understanding is the OB transmission was Starfire only and the OA was used for the other models. I have an OB-61-5529 which is fine and is getting new seals. My other OB turns out is junk and I need to find another for my other 61 Starfire. Does anyone know the differences between OA and the OB? My guess is O is for Oldsmobile since the slim Jim model 10 for Pontiac started with a P. I've found that the model 10 was used for the 61 - 64 model years. I read something a while back and can't find it now that the speedometer gearing was different and maybe some internal differences.

The Full Size '63, & '64 Olds Speedometer was operated from the front left wheel and not from the Transmission.
Old June 12th, 2017, 12:56 AM   #92

1961 98 or Starfire grill

Anybody have one or a lead? Also need some rubber parts, grommet for steering column at floor board, wiring harness grommet at fire wall, core support and inner fender mounting rubber. Still looking for original trunk tools.
Old June 12th, 2017, 11:49 AM   #93
Phantom Phixer

Quote:
My understanding is the OB transmission was Starfire only and the OA was used for the other models.
Yes, the OA trans was used with column shift cars . And the OB model was used for floor shift cars . I don't think there was any other differences .
All Oldsmobile model 10's will bolt up to a 61 thru 64 394 engine . As previously mentioned the 63 & 64 's did not have a provision for a speedometer drive .
Charlie Jones is online now   Reply With Quote