General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Where to get a new carb from

Old February 11th, 2019, 07:45 AM
NOVICE car nut

Where to get a new carb from

I have a 68 Olds Toro 455 in my 72 Cutlass Supreme . Can I get a remanufactured Quadrajet for it or do I need to replace the intake also ? I noticed that Summit has some 750 - 800 CFM carbs but they don't seem to be for this application ... when I type 68 Toro in nothing comes up . Thanks in advance.
Old February 11th, 2019, 07:49 AM

I suggest you either rebuild the Qjet you have or have it rebuilt professionally. There are members on our site that do Qjet rebuilds. If your heart is set on an aftermarket carb I would caution you against using the Summit carburetor. I have one on my 71 98 and it ALWAYS needs tinkering and I already rebuilt it once. You can get an Edelbrock Thunder AVS or a Holley Street Avenger for a little bit more and they are far superior to the Summit carb,
Old February 11th, 2019, 08:33 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Bryan, I found this on the first line of my search. You should be able to determine what you have by looking at the side bowl of the carb and go from there. Is it 4MC or 4MV?

1968 Oldsmobile Toronado Carb Repair Kit
Old February 11th, 2019, 11:30 AM

Try BFIC carburaters they are in California they are very good.
Alain
Old February 11th, 2019, 11:44 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I have used this guy - his name is Rusty Petrovic. He sold me a restored 7042250 for my 72 Cutlass S. It was done to perfection and was very reasonably priced.

The Carburetor Doctor
Old February 12th, 2019, 07:51 AM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

Ken from Everyday Performance is a Qjet guru - he can customize it to your specs and is very well regarded amongst the Qjet crowd - I have one of his builds on my 350 and it rocks.

http://www.everyday-performance.com/

Another source I've used in the past is Allstate Carburetor - also excellent at general rebuilds and beyond.
https://allcarbs.com/contact/
Old February 12th, 2019, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by alain
Try BFIC carburaters they are in California they are very good.
Alain

i was was going to say try this place. He may ev3n have the correct number for you.
Old February 26th, 2019, 02:57 PM
NOVICE car nut

Sorry for late reply , I'm going to do some research and get back here to answer shortly
Old March 13th, 2019, 07:59 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Allan R
I have used this guy - his name is Rusty Petrovic. He sold me a restored 7042250 for my 72 Cutlass S. It was done to perfection and was very reasonably priced.

The Carburetor Doctor
Originally Posted by Allan R
Bryan, I found this on the first line of my search. You should be able to determine what you have by looking at the side bowl of the carb and go from there. Is it 4MC or 4MV?

1968 Oldsmobile Toronado Carb Repair Kit

IDK , I can't see anymore.... the carburetor had the same issue when I was driving the Toronado. It hesitates / stumbles when you first accelerate the vehicle .

The accelerator pump looks great at a glance, but that is probably the issue

Last edited by oldsguybry; March 13th, 2019 at 08:06 AM.
Old March 13th, 2019, 08:14 AM
NOVICE car nut

Maybe this is the issue ?
Old March 13th, 2019, 08:17 AM
NOVICE car nut

I had this carburetor apart and soaked / cleaned everything decent last year , It didn't fix the hesitation . I installed all new gaskets
Old March 13th, 2019, 09:22 AM
delete

You should see if you have a local guy that knows how to tune a carb. Mine was rebuilt but wasn't ask crisp as i'd like it. I had someone tune it that knows what they are doing & it was a tire shredding monster
Old March 13th, 2019, 09:55 AM
Pat

oldsguybry,

I just ordered a matching #'s Rochester Q-Jet Carburetor from Guaranteed Carburetors on-line, it will be here tomorrow, it was only $188.00.

Thanks,

Old March 13th, 2019, 10:03 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by droptopron
You should see if you have a local guy that knows how to tune a carb. Mine was rebuilt but wasn't ask crisp as i'd like it. I had someone tune it that knows what they are doing & it was a tire shredding monster
yes , I thought about that also . I messed around with the air gas mixture screws so its probably way out of tune
Old March 18th, 2019, 06:27 AM
NOVICE car nut

Can anyone tell me what brass dishes shown in the picture I posted are ? Would this contribute to the hesitation that I'm getting ?
Old March 18th, 2019, 05:46 PM

If I'm not mistaken they are the well plugs for the fuel well (under where the float sits). These are prone to leaking which caused the fuel to run into the intake which depletes the fuel in the well for the carb to actually use for accelerating and also supplies fuel into the intake when it's not wanted. I can't say that this is your problem but I hope that it helps.
Old March 18th, 2019, 06:12 PM
Running On Empty

The accelerator pump...is probably the issue
^^x2^^
Old March 18th, 2019, 06:14 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by rccktmn2
...they are the well plugs for the fuel well (under where the float sits). These are prone to leaking which caused the fuel to run into the intake which depletes the fuel in the well for the carb to actually use for accelerating and also supplies fuel into the intake when it's not wanted. I can't say that this is your problem but I hope that it helps.
^^x2^^

I don't know this as a fact, but I've read the earlier (pre-1970?) had a tendency to leak more so than later Quads.
Old March 18th, 2019, 07:41 PM

You don't have to buy anything to check your accelerator pump. Just look down the carb and pump the throttle. There should be a couple of spray nozzles squirting a full stream of fuel. If nothing or broken stream the pump is bad.... Tedd
Old March 18th, 2019, 08:10 PM
72 Olds CS

after rebuild i followed the set-up instructions in the CSM and my qjet lights the tires easily and promptly no matter how hard i stomp the throttle
Old March 19th, 2019, 07:07 AM
NOVICE car nut

Thanks , I'm going to check the pump first . It has the neoprene seal instead of the leather one . No matter what tinkering I did on this carburetor it still has this hesitation , but only under load . It doesn't do this in park or neutral unless it's cold. IIRC , it was better at one point until I turned the idle up .
Old April 18th, 2019, 05:00 AM
NOVICE car nut

I put a new accelerator pump in but it still hesitates . I'll have to mess around with the carb a bit more and get it tuned properly eventually after a rebuild . Right now I'm more concerned with getting the body primed and sealed so I don't have anymore rust issues .
Old April 18th, 2019, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
I put a new accelerator pump in but it still hesitates . I'll have to mess around with the carb a bit more and get it tuned properly eventually after a rebuild . Right now I'm more concerned with getting the body primed and sealed so I don't have anymore rust issues .
What do you have the ignition timing set at ? Try bumping it up a few degrees and see if that helps your hesitation.
Old April 18th, 2019, 06:16 AM
1968 442 Convertible

Sometimes the check ball gets stuck under the accelerator pump and this will prevent the pump from working. Did you look down the venturis while opening the throttle by hand? You should see a couple of squirts of fuel if working correctly.
Old July 16th, 2021, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by patshotrods
oldsguybry,

I just ordered a matching #'s Rochester Q-Jet Carburetor from Guaranteed Carburetors on-line, it will be here tomorrow, it was only $188.00.

Thanks,
I know this is a bit of an older thread, but how does this carb work? Are you happy with it?