General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Steering gear end cap leak 66-442

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2012, 10:36 AM

Steering gear end cap leak 66-442

I located my p/s steering gear leak at the front/bottom end cap cover.. After
reading the manual I thought I would try and replace the O ring while the gear was still on the car. I removed the shield under the radiator and removed the end cap retaining ring. The manual said to turn the gear counter-clockwise which should push the cap out. The cap did not move. It
appears that the cap is aluminum because when I tried to turn the cap lightly with a small chisel it took a small chip out of the surface without budging. I
looked online for a replacement cap but can't find one for the '66. The leak was so bad that it drained the reservoir in less than a week. Before I do any permanent damage to the end cap before finding a replacement, does anyone have any suggestions or a part number for the end cap. Bill
Old May 17th, 2012, 11:37 AM

Never mind..... I added a little p/s fluid and I started the engine and then shut it off.. The pressure was enough to get the cap out far enough... Now all I have to do is go to the hydraulic shop and pic up the O ring.... Thanx anyway... Bill