General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

SEM Interior color

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2011, 02:11 PM

Cool SEM Interior color

I am trying to find a color for the seatbacks and aprons for a 70 cutlass convertable with a pearl white interior. The trim# is 977. SEM is the brand that everyone says to use but I can't decide on what color is closest. Have any of you guys had any success finding a match to the pearl, and if so what # did you use? Any help would be appreciated.
Old February 15th, 2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by montvaleplace
I am trying to find a color for the seatbacks and aprons for a 70 cutlass convertable with a pearl white interior. The trim# is 977. SEM is the brand that everyone says to use but I can't decide on what color is closest. Have any of you guys had any success finding a match to the pearl, and if so what # did you use? Any help would be appreciated.

Can't actually help ya with the color but I can attest to the SEM vinyl dye to be the cats pajama's if used correctly - You need to prep with their vinyl prep cleaner which opens the pours in the vinyl / leather and allows for complete penetration of the dye. I did a complete Saddle brown interior changing to bright white and it was completely unnoticable that it wasn't a white interior to start with once done .- You can't scratch or wipe off the color once completely dried.
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:17 PM

Highly suggest you use the SEM low luster clear afterwards.

It has a flexible coating that protects the SEM interior paint.
Old February 15th, 2011, 05:17 PM

I have a pearl interior in my car, and tried the SEM paint.

It works good, but the color does not match very well.

I broke down and bought a set of repop seat backs and sides....a much better match.
Old February 15th, 2011, 08:24 PM

What brand upholstery do you have and what brand seatbacks did you buy? Most if the companies advertise Ivory??
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:39 AM

If you have a part of the correct color, many paint shops can custom mix you a batch. Just make sure the sample part has a uniform color. I did this and the color came out nicely.
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:58 AM

pearl is very hard to match all the way around, even if you get a "pearl" plastic piece it won't match the vinyl etc. Most of the companies provide a close match but no cigar. Even if the part was pearl I had to mist it with the pearl paint which is a translucent pearl clear coat. If you are covering black or white, as many parts only come that way now, the best method I found was to use an ivory base and then cover it with pearl. If you use a white base it is too light, black does not cover.

In my experience pearl on its own only works over off-white/beige. it is not opaque enough to cover other colors - The parts Place and Fusicks sells the pearl.
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:00 AM

PUI for the seat covers, and Inline Tube for the seat plastic.