General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Rocker Arms

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2020, 01:34 PM

Rocker Arms

Anybody ever run Yella Terra rockers on an Olds? Will the Ford pedestal system work on an Olds?

Thanks in advance
Old August 27th, 2020, 07:42 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

I see you have not received any responses, probably because YellaTerra does not list any Oldsmobile specific rockers on their web site. You can search the forum for rocker arms and you will see that some people have had success using the Ford Windsor style rocker (stud mount) on their Olds with success. With a stud mount rocker you will have to use guide plates for the pushrods. Why not use the Harland Sharp pedestal mount for Oldsmobile or the Scorpion pedestal mount? Since these are Oldsmobile specific you can be assured that they will work. I personally would use Harland Sharp rockers. Also, not knowing what your cam specs and cylinder head type are makes it kinda hard to give a good recommendation! Help us to help you sir.
Old August 27th, 2020, 07:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

I think his point is that the Ford pedestal style rockers used on the later SBFs are very similar to Olds rockers. They mount with 5/16" bolts (just like Olds), they use an internal anti-rotation feature to eliminate the need for guide plates (just like Olds), and they have a 1.6:1 ratio (just like Olds).
Old August 27th, 2020, 07:53 AM

I was just spit balling. The Yella Terra rockers are a nice pedestal paired shaft adjustable unit. Just thought maybe someone knew if the Ford crossed with the Olds. It looks like they discontinued the Olds line.
Old August 27th, 2020, 08:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by heatmup
I was just spit balling. The Yella Terra rockers are a nice pedestal paired shaft adjustable unit. Just thought maybe someone knew if the Ford crossed with the Olds. It looks like they discontinued the Olds line.
I have a set of the Ford Motorsports pedestal rockers that I haven't installed on an Olds motor yet, but basically the same concept.

Old August 27th, 2020, 03:02 PM

You could call and see if they'll sell you just a pair to mock up. I'm pretty sure the Harland Sharp pedestal rockers are just the Ford rockers, maybe the mini shaft has slightly different spacing. You have to shim them to get the valve stem sweep pattern at its best, Harland sells a taller pedestal you can buy separately.
Old August 27th, 2020, 04:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
You could call and see if they'll sell you just a pair to mock up. I'm pretty sure the Harland Sharp pedestal rockers are just the Ford rockers, maybe the mini shaft has slightly different spacing. You have to shim them to get the valve stem sweep pattern at its best, Harland sells a taller pedestal you can buy separately.
The Ford Racing pedestal rockers are not common shaft rockers like the Harlan Sharp. They are also considerably less expensive. I thought Mondello Performance had an exclusive deal on the Oldsmobile version of the Harlan Sharp rockers.
Old August 27th, 2020, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The Ford Racing pedestal rockers are not common shaft rockers like the Harlan Sharp. They are also considerably less expensive. I thought Mondello Performance had an exclusive deal on the Oldsmobile version of the Harlan Sharp rockers.
There's a long story there that I can't recall the details, but the story goes something like Mondello promising a minimum order commitment (back in the Joe days), H-S made a huge run of them in purple, got stuck with a bunch of them, and they started selling them direct or through distributors. The early ones had heavier duty shafts and bearings (larger diameter), the later ones have small diameter pins between the rockers. The part number is S50026A.

The geometry isn't quite right on them, so it's definitely a Ford rocker casting. The pushrod cup isn't quite angled right, but it works at reasonable cam lift (0.550" or so).

I did notice that the H-S rockers have individually adjustable lash/preload, the Yella Terra do not...
Old August 27th, 2020, 06:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
I did notice that the H-S rockers have individually adjustable lash/preload, the Yella Terra do not...
Apparently they make them both ways.
Old August 28th, 2020, 07:46 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

Thanks Joe. Glad we got some discussion going here. Shall be looking forward to your evaluation of the Ford Motorsports rockers!