General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Replacing core support 72 cutlass convertible

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2012, 05:32 PM

Replacing core support 72 cutlass convertible

Now a really quick question... I am pulling out the core support (isn't there supposed to be metal under the battery?) and installing a refurbed one. Do I need to pull the fenders to do this? The engine and tranny will be coming out when I do this, as well.
Old August 30th, 2012, 05:51 PM
L69

I just pulled the core support out on a 68 and fenders were attached on the frame and at the cowl. Just remove obvious front end bolts.
Old August 30th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by kitfoxdave
Now a really quick question... I am pulling out the core support (isn't there supposed to be metal under the battery?) and installing a refurbed one. Do I need to pull the fenders to do this? The engine and tranny will be coming out when I do this, as well.
No, the core can be pulled without removing the fenders. Take off the front bumper and stoneshield. There's a great pic of all the attachment points in the CSM. And Yes there should be metal on the rad support under the battery.

Make sure you have a rad support for 72. It's unique because of the way the grills fit.
Old August 31st, 2012, 01:14 AM

thanks for the replies. It is a 71 suppport with the bumps from a 72 added to clear the grills.
Old August 31st, 2012, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Make sure you have a rad support for 72. It's unique because of the way the grills fit.
If the 71-72 grills interchange, then why wouldn't the core supports interchange? I know 1970 is unique, but this is the first I've heard of the 72 being unique. Do you have pics of the differences?? I have a 71 with 72 grills on her... granted the car was wrecked so the whole mess was probably replaced anyway.

John
Old August 31st, 2012, 11:14 AM
Just an Olds Guy

John, the 71/72 grills don't interchange. You can put 71 grills into a 72, but not 72 grills into the 71. Only exception is the 442 grills. Reason is the redesign of the horizontal Cutlass grills and eggcrate grills for 72 required the top of the rad support to be raised in 2 areas to accept the height of the outboard curve on the grills. Sorry the pics are so large but you can't miss the details this way.

Note on this picture how the 71 grill surround is dropped where it tucks under the rad support. The top surface of the rad support is flat.

On the 72 the grills are taller where they enter the outer part of the rad support, so there are raised surfaces there to accomodate that. This pic shows it perfectly