General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Prep Headers for re-coating

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2015, 12:50 PM

Question Prep Headers for re-coating

HI folks: I hope I'm posting this in the correct area. My Hooker Super Comps on my 68 W-30 are starting to show a bit of surface rust. I have my hood off at the moment getting those crappy 68 hinges redone, so it's a good time to pull the headers. I can get them redone at work with an aerospace thermal coating that resembles dull chrome. I am thinking of using red scotch brite to scuff them up to prep for recoat. I've talked to others at work who have used this and they say it is great. I guess if it can take the heat of a gas turbine the Olds shouldn't break it down. I don't want them media blasted as the tubes are thin wall and I don't want any perforations ??/

Any other ideas?? Maybe 400 wet sand and lacquer thinner wipe-down right after ???

Thanks, Wayne
Old February 5th, 2015, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketman!442
HI folks: I hope I'm posting this in the correct area. My Hooker Super Comps on my 68 W-30 are starting to show a bit of surface rust. I have my hood off at the moment getting those crappy 68 hinges redone, so it's a good time to pull the headers. I can get them redone at work with an aerospace thermal coating that resembles dull chrome. I am thinking of using red scotch brite to scuff them up to prep for recoat. I've talked to others at work who have used this and they say it is great. I guess if it can take the heat of a gas turbine the Olds shouldn't break it down. I don't want them media blasted as the tubes are thin wall and I don't want any perforations ??/

Any other ideas?? Maybe 400 wet sand and lacquer thinner wipe-down right after ???

Thanks, Wayne
I'm afraid media blasting is about the only way to get in the nooks and crannies to rout that pesky rust. I did a set not long ago, and they turned out very good. I don't think you need to worry about perforations unless they are REALLY rusty.
Old February 5th, 2015, 04:53 PM

I talked to Jet Hot a couple years ago about sending in a set of headers to be coated and they said they blast the headers before coating them, so it sounds like that is a standard procedure.
Old February 6th, 2015, 04:49 AM

Header prep

Hi Guys: Thanks for all the info, media blasting it is then, they aren't that rusty more an asthetics thing than functional. I'll ask my blaster to be gentle???

LOL Wayne