General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Pitman arm removal

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2019, 09:05 PM

Pitman arm removal

Pulling a manual Steering box off of a 67 442 to rebuild it. What's the technique for removing the pitman arm from the drag link. Removed the nut and Cotter pin, the threaded shaft is moving with the Pitman arm. Do I need some type of puller ????

thx. Matt
Old June 3rd, 2019, 09:24 PM

Yes you need a pitman arm puller. You can borrow them from autozone with a refundable deposit. They are on there tight so if the gear box is still bolted to the frame that will help.

Just reread the post. The pitman arm puller is to remove the pitman arm from the gearbox. To remove the pitman arm from the drag link you can use a pickle fork. Or a few smacks with a big hammer.

Last edited by 4speed455; June 3rd, 2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by 4speed455
Yes you need a pitman arm puller. You can borrow them from autozone with a refundable deposit. They are on there tight so if the gear box is still bolted to the frame that will help.

Just reread the post. The put,an arm puller is to remove the pitman arm from the gearbox. To remove the pitman arm from the drag link you can use a pickle fork. Or a few sacks with a big hammer.
I have everything loose other then the pitman arm from the drag link, when I move the pitman arm the threaded shaft is moving also. shouldn't that be part of the drag link and the pitman arm pulls off of it, maybe its just seized on there from years and years. ???
Old June 4th, 2019, 04:26 AM

The threaded shaft is the other end of a ball-joint that allows movement between the pitman arm and the drag link. The threaded shaft is wedged into the pitman arm similar to how a tie-rod end is wedged into a steering arm. As long as it is wedged into the pitman arm, it will move with it (the ball joint at the opposite end will move instead like it is supposed to). You need to separate the (wedged) threaded shaft from the pitman arm using a pickle fork or a good smack of the shaft with a hammer like 4speed455 suggested. A tie-rod puller will work as well.
Old June 4th, 2019, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs68S
The threaded shaft is the other end of a ball-joint that allows movement between the pitman arm and the drag link. The threaded shaft is wedged into the pitman arm similar to how a tie-rod end is wedged into a steering arm. As long as it is wedged into the pitman arm, it will move with it (the ball joint at the opposite end will move instead like it is supposed to). You need to separate the (wedged) threaded shaft from the pitman arm using a pickle fork or a good smack of the shaft with a hammer like 4speed455 suggested. A tie-rod puller will work as well.

Roger that, thank you. It's coming back to me now. I used to have a pickle fork layin around. He'll just come over and help me. Matt
Old June 5th, 2019, 05:45 PM

Pitman arm puller and if stubborn you can use a large pry bar, place it on the edge of the pitman arm from the top where it splines onto the steering box shaft and give it a whack with a bfh
Old June 5th, 2019, 07:02 PM
Administrator

I use a shop hammer and whack the pitman arm at the front side of the spot where the drag link is connected. Usually 1 or 2 good whacks breaks them apart.
Old June 6th, 2019, 07:07 AM

LOL, BFH is big freaken hammer